The 30 Best FL HS DB's of the Past 50 Years

OldSchoolLion

They went to the following high schools.  Name who went to each and where they went to college, if you know.  Since we don't like leaving anyone out:), I made the list extra big....though I am sure I left someone out.:rolleyes:  It's very tough making a list like this.   I focused on guys who played db in college AND who went on to play db in college and/or the pros.   Everyone on the list, with the exception of 1(who is still in college), spent some time in the NFL.  

..the breakdown... North FL-8, Central FL-5, South FL-17

Noles-10

Gators-9

Canes-5

Armwood-Leon McQuay/USC     

Atlantic(Palm Beach)-Bobby Butler/FSU

Carol City-Kenny Phillips/UM

Dwyer-Matt Elam/Florida

Ely-Patrick Peterson/LSU

FAMU-Sam Madison/Louisville

Fort Myers-Jammi German/UM

Gulliver Prep-Sean Taylor/UM

Haines City-Derwin James/FSU

Lee(Jacksonville)-Leroy Butler/FSU

Key West-Corey Sawyer/FSU

Killian-Derrick Gibson/FSU

Lincoln-Antonio Cromartie/FSU

Mandarin-Fred Weary/UF

McArthur(Hollywood)-Bryant McFadden/FSU

Miami Beach-Samari Rolle/FSU

North Fort Myers-Deion Sanders/FSU

Pahokee-Janoris Jenkins/UF, Alphonso Smith/Wake Forest 

Palm Bay-Reggie Nelson/UF

Piper(Fort Lauderdale)-Bennie Blades/UM

Raines-Lito Sheppard/UF, Brian Dawkins/Clemson

St Thomas Aquinas-Lamarcus Joyner/FSU, Major Wright/UF

South Dade-Antrel Rolle/UM

South Sumter-Keanu Neal/UF

Trinity Christian-Shaun Wade/Ohio St.

Wharton-Vernon Hargreaves/UF

White(Jacksonville)-Dee Webb/UF

Dwyer - Matt Elam UF/Baltimore?

I think his brother Abram (Abe) Elam (Cardinal Newman-West Palm Beach, '00) was actually a better professional (104 games across 7 seasons), but Matt was a much bigger name out of high school. Abram did play at Notre Dame and eventually found his way to Kent State. 

Kaiir Elam, class of 2019, signed with UF, is Abram's son. 

46 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

To pad my stats...

I am sure somebody will know, but why are they South Sumter High School? Was there a northern, eastern, western, or central in the past? Why not just Sumter County High School or Sumter High School? I actually don't know the answer, just curious. 

FYI..the fellow from South Sumter was a Gator db this decade.

On 8/4/2019 at 2:04 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

They went to the following high schools.  Name who went to each and where they went to college, if you know.  Since we don't like leaving anyone out:), I made the list extra big....though I am sure I left someone out.:rolleyes:  It's very tough making a list like this.   I focused on guys who played db in college AND who went on to play db in college and/or the pros.   Everyone on the list spent some time in the NFL.  

..the breakdown... North FL-8, Central FL-5, South FL-17

St Thomas Aquinas(there are 2)

Man STA has had a TON of nasty DBs.     I'm guessing you have it as Major Wright and Lamarcus Joyner.    I think one of the most underrated DBs at Aquinas in HS was Marcus Roberson.  Kid got to FL (not early enrollee) and started at CB day 1.     Played in the NFL also.  

Here are some hints:

Atlantic-One of the best of the 70's; FSU star: Falcons legend

Carol City-USA Today Defensive High School Player of the Year ; Canes Legend; won Super Bowl with the Giants

Key West-Noles' consensus All-American of the 90's; played most of NFL career with the Bengals

Killian-Noles' star; spent entire NFL career with the Raiders

McArthur-FSU star; won 2 Super Bowls with the Steelers

Miami Beach-FSU All-American; shares same last name as guy from South Dade

Piper-Canes legend and College Football Hall of Famer; comes from famous football family

South Dade-consensus All-American for the Canes; multi-times Pro Bowler for the Giants

Trinity Christian-modern, 5-star recruit; plays for Ohio St