BTW, Carol City coaching changes - new HC job for Ice Harris

SportsNut25

Prominent South Florida high school coaches Tim “Ice” Harris and Benedict Hyppolite will join the upstart Florida Memorial University football staff, sources told FootballScoop on Sunday.

It was not known as of publishing time what roles the two will have on the FMU staff. 

From FS: "Florida Memorial announced in late May it will re-launch its football program to begin play in the fall of 2020. An HBCU based in Miami Gardens, Florida Memorial played football from 1927 through 1958. The school presently enrolls roughly 1,800 undergraduates and competes in NAIA."

14 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Darn, I am reasonably familiar with Miami Gardens and was not aware of this college. For Harris and Hyppolite to leave BTW and CC this close to the start of the season has got to be very negative for the two programs. 

And that blew up two of my interviews at media day... I found out Saturday morning that both were leaving for Florida Memorial. Florida Memorial can trace its roots back to St. Augustine when the campus was located near what is now present-day West King Street and Holmes Blvd. 

6 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I won’t b surprise to see a lot of kids transfer within the next few days 

Yeah like coach said, once you practice for the first time with a team, you can't play for that same sport for another school this fall. The kids have to do what most used to do, which is just make the best of a situation.

On 8/15/2019 at 12:15 AM, DB4 said:

BTW has an ad for a head coach up on the FHSAA web site, but at this point you have to just promote from within for at least this season right? Makes no sense to hire a new coach the week of kickoff classics.

Some places require ads be placed onto job boards even if they eventually will hire from within. Some places even require positions to be advertised yearly even if it's almost certain the current head coach will be the most qualified "applicant". 

On 8/15/2019 at 12:14 PM, DB4 said:

Yeah like coach said, once you practice for the first time with a team, you can't play for that same sport for another school this fall. The kids have to do what most used to do, which is just make the best of a situation.

I don't think this is a true statement,  Josh and I had a long conversation on that subject recently.

https://twitter.com/countypolk?lang=en

1 hour ago, LakelandGator said:

I don't think this is a true statement,  Josh and I had a long conversation on that subject recently.

https://twitter.com/countypolk?lang=en

Well unless something changed recently, I was coaching the last 3 seasons down in Miami-Dade and my head coach told me that a player can work out at whatever school he wants to during the summer. But once he participates in a practice with a team, that's it.

Here's an excerpt from an FHSAA notice of transfer form: 

"A student who changes schools after initially attending another school is subject to Bylaw 9.3 Transfer Regulations. The student may be ineligible for the remainder of the sport season during which the transfer occurs. However, Bylaw 9.3.2.1 allows the student to transfer to another school prior to the first day of practice in a sport in which the student wishes to participate and maintain his/her eligibility, provided the public school board or private school policies allow the student to transfer and maintain eligibility (reference FS 1006.20)."