Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Joshua Wilson

      Rules of the Forums   09/02/2017

      Please be sure to read the rules of the forums. This is only to help all of us have a good time and we want to keep this board as fun as possible. 
    • SportsNut25

      Talking Other Sports   11/08/2017

      For those interested in talking about other sports, you can talk about them here. 
Sign in to follow this  
nolebull813

Top team each year from 1907-1962

Recommended Posts

So based on what you just posted I have......

1908 scoreless tie with Orlando. I thought Plant City didn’t field a team until 1914?

1909 I have what you have plus a forfeit win to a team called “Fort DeSoto” and also a loss to them 16-0.

1912 I have forfeit loss to Ft Meade. Game never was played 

1920 I have the same 3 scores 

1922 you have a 6-1 record but only list 6 games. I have them beating Lake City 14-0 as well 

1924 I have them beating Hillsborough 14-6

1925 I have them losing to the Stetson U Scrubs 26-0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

So based on what you just posted I have......

1908 scoreless tie with Orlando. I thought Plant City didn’t field a team until 1914?
There was an article in the Tampa Tribune promoting a Lakeland/Plant City  game on Christmas day, 1908. It's possible the game wasn't 'official' for Plant City.

1909 I have what you have plus a forfeit win to a team called “Fort DeSoto” and also a loss to them 16-0.
I'll have to see if I can find articles for those.

1912 I have forfeit loss to Ft Meade. Game never was played 
Correct. Lakeland didn't make the trip.

1920 I have the same 3 scores 

1922 you have a 6-1 record but only list 6 games. I have them beating Lake City 14-0 as well 
Yep. I skipped over the Lake City game.

1924 I have them beating Hillsborough 14-6
According to the schedule in the yearbook and newspaper articles, they didn't play Hillsborough in '24

1925 I have them losing to the Stetson U Scrubs 26-0
If they played this game, it wasn't counted in the official records. Lakeland and Duval were going to play for the state Championship....but the game never got scheduled. It was being talked about as late as January of '26 to play a championship game. But it never happened.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Thank you so much. I read that they didn’t field a team in 1917, 1918 and 1919. 

But they did in 1916 they went 3-3 if I’m not mistaken 

They tried a couple of times in '17-'19. I show a couple of games scheduled, but it was no more than one a year. The administration at Lakeland was opposed to having a football team. Back then it was quite a dangerous sport and they didn't want that at Lakeland.

Here is what I have for 1916:
Nickname "The Yellow & Black"
9/26 Lost to Plant City 0-48
10/6 Beat Lake City 26-0
10/13 Beat Hillsborough 42-0
10/20 Lost to Orlando 0-50
10/27 Beat Brooksville 33-7
11/3 Lost to Braidentown (Manatee) 0-13
11/10 Lost to Plant City 0-20
11/18 Lost to St. Petersburg 0-12
11/24 Tied Brooksville 7-7
11/30 Beat Kissimmee 7-0
I'm not sure if any of these were 'B' games or not. The newspapers weren't always clear on what they were reporting back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to go back and check. Yeah they didn’t play Hillsborough that year. I think I got it mixed up with 1923. That was the score of the last game of the season. 

I had to figure out who the 9th team Hillsborough played. It was Bartow. 

Looks like Lakeland is 99.9 percent done. Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Perspective said:

Dang you guys have good memories.   B)

Thankfully I'm not that old......yet..:unsure:

Alot of research. Prior to the 1930's, record keeping wasn't the best. Plus, I think Lakeland lost a lot of their records when the original school burned down. Luckily, the newspapers have, for the most part, been digitized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gwdrum75 said:

Thankfully I'm not that old......yet..:unsure:

Alot of research. Prior to the 1930's, record keeping wasn't the best. Plus, I think Lakeland lost a lot of their records when the original school burned down. Luckily, the newspapers have, for the most part, been digitized.

Same here.  I know that Wauchula had a team in 1909 and there is a photo of this team taken in Arcadia, so we know that game was played.   Here to now, that's the only record I had. Thanks to your post above, I now know that they played Lakeland twice that year.   I found a newspaper article from 1934 that says Wauchula and Winter Haven were rivals since 1913 but I can't find any other mention of a Wauchula team from 1913.   A newspaper article from 1923 says that 1923 is Wauchula high's first team; so it appears that from 1909 to 1923 any teams were some other league or city team and not the school's team.  Wauchula high school opened in 1906 with only 3 students.  In 1945 the school burned down.  The new school was build the next year and the county consolidated so the name was changed from Wauchula high to Hardee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 9:03 PM, gwdrum75 said:

They tried a couple of times in '17-'19. I show a couple of games scheduled, but it was no more than one a year. The administration at Lakeland was opposed to having a football team. Back then it was quite a dangerous sport and they didn't want that at Lakeland.

Here is what I have for 1916:
Nickname "The Yellow & Black"
9/26 Lost to Plant City 0-48
10/6 Beat Lake City 26-0
10/13 Beat Hillsborough 42-0
10/20 Lost to Orlando 0-50
10/27 Beat Brooksville 33-7
11/3 Lost to Braidentown (Manatee) 0-13
11/10 Lost to Plant City 0-20
11/18 Lost to St. Petersburg 0-12
11/24 Tied Brooksville 7-7
11/30 Beat Kissimmee 7-0
I'm not sure if any of these were 'B' games or not. The newspapers weren't always clear on what they were reporting back then.

The game against Hillsborough in 1916 was against the reserves. It is in the Oct 1, 1916 Tampa Tribune. So some of those games could have been against other b teams as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the only thing left for Lakeland is......

1908 scores for Plant City and Orlando games

1909 score for the second game against Hillsborough 

1910 and 1911 find out if any games at all were played 

1912 besides the forfeit loss to Ft Meade, if any games were played 

1920 if any more than the 3 games were played 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

1912 besides the forfeit loss to Ft Meade, if any games were played 
 

I'm pretty certain this was it. There was an article in the 9/10/1912 Tampa Tribune about Hillsborough not having any challenges and specifically mentioned Lakeland not fielding a team. I think the Ft. Meade game was an attempt. The newspaper article indicates the game was possibly played.....but awarded by forfeit to Ft. Meade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×