Manatee fans:

skyway

We've seen nothing from Manatee yet, so it's foolish to assume much about them. And, Lakeland is without their starting QB (as they were for Osceola as well). But, based on what we know about Lakeland and saw last night, it's a good bet to be a decisive win for the L. 

But, all of that assumes the game will be played. This time of year in central Florida that is also a foolish assumption. The last time Lakeland and Manatee opened the season in Bradenton-in 2017-the game was lightninged out.

The game will be streamed, and yes weather could possibly once again cause the game to be delayed or cancelled. Manatee has a new OC,  University of Florida grad Jaquez Green so that will be interesting to see what if any positive changes come from that? The Manatee Offense will be young once again, with only 1 senior among the starting group. The QB is a left handed Soph, that has some talent.....probably the most talented QB they've had since Cord Sandberg, but starting out against a team like Lakeland will be a tall order for him. There are 3 Juniors that have started on Varsity since their freshman year on the offense.......2 of them on the OL. Sophmore running back that broke off several long runs on Lakeland as a freshman last year, he's about 5'9" 225, obviously not a blazer but has very nimble feet.  3 other backs that should see time as well at the RB position...... There's some talent and size on the OL,  and above average talent at all of the skilled positions, but the Soph QB will be the Key as to how successful Manatee will be. I like the kid and see a real competitive edge in him to go with some natural talent....but again he's just a Soph.

On defense I believe they return 8 starters. They have a NG that I'm really excited about, that appears to be a real disrupter along the line of scrimmage he's 6'1" about 280 lbs, the have Ryan Ives 6'5" 265 lbs  coming back at DE, who's gotten some D-1 offers. Justin Porter 6'1" 220 lbs at LB who will be a 3rd year starter, Sequil Martinez 6'1" 210 lbs at LB who started as a Soph last year, as well as rising Junior at LB Sam Vave  6' 2" 221 lbs. Several others that started last year as well. From a size standpoint Manatee should be able to line up with anyone. Its Lakeland's over-all speed that I worry about. Manatee moved a starting WR to DB, have a member from the 4x100 relay team that barely lost to Lakeland at Regionals last years also in the defensive backfield, along with 3 other returning starters.

If they play I could see a game like Lakeland saw this past week with Osceola.....but I could also see them keeping it competitive like they did last year into the 4th QT......game was 28-14 before Bowman broke a run to seal the deal.

Eight returning starters on D is a lot. Playing with the home crowd and Lakeland using a backup QB could spell a bit of a defensive struggle. But, Lakeland just has so many special, explosive players that you have to figure they'll make a few big plays on their own. 

Something you didn't mention that could be huge is Manatee's kicker. If he can get kickoffs into the endzone, he may save the Canes a couple of touchdowns off of Lakeland returns. In general, Manatee will have to do something few can do: avoid giving up big plays on special teams to Lakeland. Between defensive scores and special teams scores, Lakeland may be able to force a running clock even without much from the offense.  

Actually Manatee's Kicker has gotten alot of attention nationally. I believe last year he average about 80% getting the ball into the endzone on kickoffs and has a range for FG's in the 50 yard range. Punting they have a returning player as well, I cant see where they'd want to punt to Smith and let him break a long one.....so you may see Manatee sacrifice field position to keep that from happening by punting to the sidelines.......but your right Bowman, Graham, and Smith for Lakeland can all kill you with its special teams play for sure!  

As far as the Lakeland backup QB, Castle inserted him last year as a freshman for the opening series against Manatee and he only marched Lakeland right down the field for a score.......so I'm not too worried about Lakeland at the QB position....even with the transfer out.......Besides Graham didn't look too shabby from the wildcat  this past Friday either!

4 hours ago, Terryr said:

What's everyone thoughts on the game? Lakeland looked strong Friday night!

Lakeland destroys them.

Like Nolebull said, it’s sad to think that just 7 years ago, Manatee was regarded one of the best teams in the nation. Now, they’re a dumpster fire. They’ll be lucky to keep this game respectable going into halftime.

This game will not be close. 45-17 Lakeland

12 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Lakeland destroys them.

Like Nolebull said, it’s sad to think that just 7 years ago, Manatee was regarded one of the best teams in the nation. Now, they’re a dumpster fire. They’ll be lucky to keep this game respectable going into halftime.

This game will not be close. 45-17 Lakeland

I wouldn't be shocked by a score like that (though there's virtually no chance Manatee reaches 17 points). But, I continue to maintain that we have seen NOTHING from this 2019 Manatee team. They have a lot of experience (though few seniors) and a lot of size up front to go along with some really fast guys. They are playing at home. And Lakeland is without their starting QB. And, it's August, meaning early in the season before teams have gelled. And it may also be a wet, muddy field. It may very well be a bit of an ugly game for the offenses. 

Watched the Lakeland game last week against Osceola last night, and what stood out for me more than anything was how bad Osceola played in the 1st QT alone, it was 30-0 at the end of the 1st QT. Lakeland played an attacking defensive style play against Osceola, and its very apparent they have way above average team speed on defense. They don't however have the physical brawn they had last year, The Osceola line play was so bad, I dont know that they ever slowed anyone down on Lakeland's side of the ball.....I stopped watching midway through the 2nd QT, so maybe they got better as the game progressed?

On offense Lakeland was about what you'd expect, the Soph QB handled him self well but his timing on the passing game isnt there just yet. Lakeland on its OL has some good size on the left side, but its right side is anything but imposing......in fact just about everything I saw in as far as interior runs were to the left.

Manatee on its OL should be solid or at least present a better challenge than Lakeland saw last week with Osceola...well unless they have #78 starting at LG, Lakeland will abuse him all night if so with their defensive speed. Manatee is going to have to be able to pass the ball, to get Lakeland to back away from its attacking style some. No idea if Kyree Jones has gotten stronger or not from last year, but he could be hell for Lakeland if he has. The Manatee soph QB, is a play maker, but again if Lakeland is immediately in his face every-time he drops back or rolls out......its not going to matter. Tyson Phillips for Manatee is a nice talent for Manatee coming out of the backfield catching passes, and has a slashing style as a runner that might be better suited for Manatee against Lakeland?

I think bottom line that can settle this game early, is if the Lakeland D can take it to Manatee's offense, if Manatee holds it own against the Lakeland defense however........it could be an interesting game!

7 hours ago, FL_HS_football said:

Watched the Lakeland game last week against Osceola last night, and what stood out for me more than anything was how bad Osceola played in the 1st QT alone, it was 30-0 at the end of the 1st QT. Lakeland played an attacking defensive style play against Osceola, and its very apparent they have way above average team speed on defense. They don't however have the physical brawn they had last year, The Osceola line play was so bad, I dont know that they ever slowed anyone down on Lakeland's side of the ball.....I stopped watching midway through the 2nd QT, so maybe they got better as the game progressed?

On offense Lakeland was about what you'd expect, the Soph QB handled him self well but his timing on the passing game isnt there just yet. Lakeland on its OL has some good size on the left side, but its right side is anything but imposing......in fact just about everything I saw in as far as interior runs were to the left.

Manatee on its OL should be solid or at least present a better challenge than Lakeland saw last week with Osceola...well unless they have #78 starting at LG, Lakeland will abuse him all night if so with their defensive speed. Manatee is going to have to be able to pass the ball, to get Lakeland to back away from its attacking style some. No idea if Kyree Jones has gotten stronger or not from last year, but he could be hell for Lakeland if he has. The Manatee soph QB, is a play maker, but again if Lakeland is immediately in his face every-time he drops back or rolls out......its not going to matter. Tyson Phillips for Manatee is a nice talent for Manatee coming out of the backfield catching passes, and has a slashing style as a runner that might be better suited for Manatee against Lakeland?

I think bottom line that can settle this game early, is if the Lakeland D can take it to Manatee's offense, if Manatee holds it own against the Lakeland defense however........it could be an interesting game!

Osceola's Oline got destroyed,  there was two injured starters on the O-line and a thrid that transferred to SFA over the off season. Once they get the two starters back and start to gel they will be much better.

I expected Osceola to get hammered as Coach Nick really wanted to see how the younger guys would do and planned to mix them in alot. But I did not expect the 30-0 in the 1st, Lakeland really took it to them.