6 Underdogs to Watch This Season

OldSchoolLion

• 1 month later...

Doing a mid-season check on these teams...

8A Winter Park   3-3  losses to Wekiva, Eedgewater and Pickerington Central(OH)

8A Sarasota Riverview   4-2 losses to Naples and Palmetto

8A Miami Palmetto   5-1 loss to Cardinal Gibbons

7A Navarre   3-3 losses to Licoln, Pine Forest and Niceville

5A Vanguard   3-1 loss to Dunnellon

5A Jones    4-1 loss to Edgewater

On 8/19/2019 at 7:25 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

Tim Shifflet at Winter Park is one of the most tenured coaches in the Orlando area.  I don't believe Winter Park has been overly loaded with big name talent the past few years, yet has managed to be very competitive.  I think as long as they have a reasonable amount of talent this year, there is no reason to believe Coach Shifflet will not have them competitive again.  

Winter Park does have one of the top cornerbacks in the state...Ethan Pouncey...and a 6'6" pocket passer named Casey Case, who saw playing time last year as a junior.   

Ethan Pouncey had surgery at beginning of season and will miss this season: he has committed to Texas. WP's DB's, an expected major strength of this team, have been hit with a load of injuries this season. They were missing all four starters in a recent game. Casey Case is a very good QB, committed to Buffalo. He has several very good receivers and the top junior RB in Central Florida, Dakota Mitchell who has just committed to UF. This team had tremendous potential going into the season. Besides the injuries, WP has been bitten by the turnover bug a couple of games this season, including two fumbles for TD's in a single game. When they've been good, they've been very, very good and could be dangerous if they can find their way into the playoffs.

• 3 weeks later...

8A Winter Park   6-3  losses to Wekiva, Eedgewater and Pickerington Central(OH)

8A Sarasota Riverview   6-2 losses to Naples and Palmetto

8A Miami Palmetto   7-1 loss to Cardinal Gibbons

7A Navarre   4-4 losses to Lincoln, Pine Forest, Niceville and Chiles

5A Vanguard   5-2 loss to Dunnellon and Carol City

5A Jones    7-1 loss to Edgewater

• 2 weeks later...

after last night...

8A Winter Park   6-4  losses to Wekiva, Eedgewater, Pickerington Central(OH) and Timber Creek

8A Sarasota Riverview   8-2 losses to Naples and Palmetto

8A Miami Palmetto   9-1 loss to Cardinal Gibbons

7A Navarre   6-4 losses to Lincoln, Pine Forest, Niceville and Chiles

5A Vanguard   7-2 loss to Dunnellon and Carol City

5A Jones    9-1 loss to Edgewater

Watch out for Miami Palmetto.  This is a program that has been on the rise. They won a shootout with South Dade this year.  Look at their track record over the past 4 seasons.  

2016   9-2   2 losses to state champion Southridge

2017   8-2   lost to Southridge and state semifinalist Miami High

2018   10-2   lost to Southridge and state finalist Columbus

2019   9-1    2-point loss to Cardinal Gibbons

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Watch out for Miami Palmetto.  This is a program that has been on the rise. They won a shootout with South Dade this year.  Look at their track record over the past 4 seasons.  

2016   9-2   2 losses to state champion Southridge

2017   8-2   lost to Southridge and state semifinalist Miami High

2018   10-2   lost to Southridge and state finalist Columbus

2019   9-1    2-point loss to Cardinal Gibbons

I could easily see them making it out of Region 4 to the south semifinal. Depending on who makes it from Region 3, they may even make it to the state final. From there, who knows? 8A is reasonably wide open heading into the playoffs. 

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I could easily see them making it out of Region 4 to the south semifinal. Depending on who makes it from Region 3, they may even make it to the state final. From there, who knows? 8A is reasonably wide open heading into the playoffs. 

Region 4 is gonna b south dade palmetto or Columbus in state 

9 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Region 4 is gonna b south dade palmetto or Columbus in state 

South Dade lost to Hialeah last night...their third loss in a row...and S Dade's characteristically tough D has been giving up points this season.  

Columbus manhandled Atlantic in Palm Beach and put up 27 on a tough Atlantic D.  Columbus is a team that seems to rise to the occasion come playoff time.  

7 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

South Dade lost to Hialeah last night...their third loss in a row...and S Dade's characteristically tough D has been giving up points this season.  

Columbus manhandled Atlantic in Palm Beach and put up 27 on a tough Atlantic D.  Columbus is a team that seems to rise to the occasion come playoff time.  

Columbus may be getting better at the right time while South Dade may be collapsing at the wrong time 

Guess we will see where they end up in the bracket 

9 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Columbus may be getting better at the right time while South Dade may be collapsing at the wrong time 

Guess we will see where they end up in the bracket 

I don’t think their collapsing thru just have played 3 great schools they lead palmetto by double digits they also led most of last night. 

as for Columbus to see what they did to Atlantic and we beat them (Columbus last week) thAt added with a win today should further help our RPI

Just now, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

I don’t think their collapsing thru just have played 3 great schools they lead palmetto by double digits they also led most of last night. 

as for Columbus to see what they did to Atlantic and we beat them (Columbus last week) thAt added with a win today should further help our RPI

Columbia played 3 good schools in the last 4 games and lost them but I still see it as collapsing, the reason is when you start winning and then finish losing 3 of last 4 or final 3 games or whatever it is a late season collapse

Does it mean they a bad team? Of course not

It just means they stumbled down the stretch but they can still correct it and make a run, but they need to identify the problem and address it fast

31 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

DFB is region 3 not 4

I know they are.  He said "state" which I took as just completely going past them.

49 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

This must b a joke

I feel your frustration.  We have one of those types of teams up here.  All hype and no go.  That would be Sandalwood.  But at least Deerfield gets to the playoffs and wins some games.  Sandalwood, usually loaded with D1 talent, never even sniffs the playoffs, but their hype machine is full blast every year.