Jump to content

  • Announcements

    • Joshua Wilson

      Rules of the Forums   09/02/2017

      Please be sure to read the rules of the forums. This is only to help all of us have a good time and we want to keep this board as fun as possible. 
    • SportsNut25

      Talking Other Sports   11/08/2017

      For those interested in talking about other sports, you can talk about them here. 
Sign in to follow this  
OldSchoolLion

6 Underdogs to Watch This Season

Recommended Posts

These 6 teams have all posted solid performances three seasons in a row and have established themselves as tough outs in the playoffs.  I am not predicting any of them will win a state title, but their programs clearly have some good momentum. 

 

Winter Park(8A)-31-7 over the past three seasons.  Have made it to the second round or beyond each season, losing to Mandarin last year and Wekiva the year prior..

Sarasota Riverview(8A)-30-8 over the past three seasons.  Playoff losses came against Dr Phillips(twice) and Mandarin last season. 

Miami Palmetto(8A)-27-6 over the past three seasons.  Three playoff losses came against very tough Miami-Dade competition.

Navarre(7A)-32-6 over the past three seasons. Have made it to the second round or beyond each season.

Vanguard(5A)-Have made it to the third round of the playoffs each of the past 3 seasons and won 10 or more games each season. 

Jones(5A)-Have won 10 games each of the past three seasons.  Its 3 playoff losses came against Cardinal Gibbons(twice) and Cocoa.  2 of those losses were by less than a TD.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

--> I'm hearing L Manual is having all kinds of grade issues and may not even dress out for games this year for Vangaurd, major loss of talent if the rumors are true.........

--> (Sarasota) Riverview - Again this pick is kind of showing me you did no real homework and are just playing this thing by the numbers only.....Seems there's been a leaking of talent to other area schools this off-season at Riverview, which is leading some to ponder whether the real issue is with HBC Smithers? Don't be surprised if you see a 1-4 Sarasota Riverview squad at the 1/2 way point this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FL_HS_football said:

--> I'm hearing L Manual is having all kinds of grade issues and may not even dress out for games this year for Vangaurd, major loss of talent if the rumors are true.........

--> (Sarasota) Riverview - Again this pick is kind of showing me you did no real homework and are just playing this thing by the numbers only.....Seems there's been a leaking of talent to other area schools this off-season at Riverview, which is leading some to ponder whether the real issue is with HBC Smithers? Don't be surprised if you see a 1-4 Sarasota Riverview squad at the 1/2 way point this season.

The exercise wasn't meant to be predictive in nature and I did not do a deep dive analysis of each team's talent.  Wish there was more time in the day.  I figured forum members like yourself could help me with that aspect. 

I looked at the performance of the top 100 or so teams in the state and these were the ones who stood out amongst the traditionally "non elite" as having good momentum.  They might crash this year...or we could could be watching the beginning of the next dynasty.  In a sense, they are teams on a cusp.  That is why I find them interesting to watch this season.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

These 6 teams have all posted solid performances three seasons in a row and have established themselves as tough outs in the playoffs.  I am not predicting any of them will win a state title, but their programs clearly have some good momentum. 

 

Winter Park(8A)-31-7 over the past three seasons.  Have made it to the second round or beyond each season, losing to Mandarin last year and Wekiva the year prior..

Sarasota Riverview(8A)-30-8 over the past three seasons.  Playoff losses came against Dr Phillips(twice) and Mandarin last season. 

Miami Palmetto(8A)-27-6 over the past three seasons.  Three playoff losses came against very tough Miami-Dade competition.

Navarre(7A)-32-6 over the past three seasons. Have made it to the second round or beyond each season.

Vanguard(5A)-Have made it to the third round of the playoffs each of the past 3 seasons and won 10 or more games each season. 

Jones(5A)-Have won 10 games each of the past three seasons.  Its 3 playoff losses came against Cardinal Gibbons(twice) and Cocoa.  2 of those losses were by less than a TD.

 

Lake Wales(5A) 18-4 over the last 2 seasons and I see a 10+ win season this year. And they are now playing in a class that is closer to their actual enrollment.

They have at least 7 D1 recruits and seem to be pretty hungry coming into 2019.

Keep an eye on the Highlanders.

https://twitter.com/countypolk?lang=en

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look for Steinbrenner to suprise in 8a this year

-Returning:

Offense- 9 of 11 Starters (Graduated- Center, TE) 

Defense- 10 of 11 Starters (Graduated- MLB -2nd in state in tackles)

-Returning 3 all-state players: Matt Adcock OL, Cam Brown P, Deon Silas RB

-Won final 4 games on 2018 season outscoring opponents 155-57 (Newsome, Palm Harbor, Alonso, East Lake)

-Commits Entering Season:

QB Haden Carlson Committed to FIU

WR Aiden Bitter Committed to Iowa State

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim Shifflet at Winter Park is one of the most tenured coaches in the Orlando area.  I don't believe Winter Park has been overly loaded with big name talent the past few years, yet has managed to be very competitive.  I think as long as they have a reasonable amount of talent this year, there is no reason to believe Coach Shifflet will not have them competitive again.  

Winter Park does have one of the top cornerbacks in the state...Ethan Pouncey...and a 6'6" pocket passer named Casey Case, who saw playing time last year as a junior.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of late, Vanguard never seems to be short on high-end talent, and they have consistency at the HC position as well.  Edwin Farmer begins his sixth year at Vanguard after serving 4 years as an AC.   Vanguard features...

4-star Sr WR Leonard Manuel

4-star Jr WR Trevonte Rucker

4-star Jr DE Bryce Langston

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Steinbrenner Warriors said:

Look for Steinbrenner to suprise in 8a this year

-Returning:

Offense- 9 of 11 Starters (Graduated- Center, TE) 

Defense- 10 of 11 Starters (Graduated- MLB -2nd in state in tackles)

-Returning 3 all-state players: Matt Adcock OL, Cam Brown P, Deon Silas RB

-Won final 4 games on 2018 season outscoring opponents 155-57 (Newsome, Palm Harbor, Alonso, East Lake)

-Commits Entering Season:

QB Haden Carlson Committed to FIU

WR Aiden Bitter Committed to Iowa State

 

 

 

too bad your schedule stinks. looks like only 2 good teams. Hillsborough and Plant will be losses. The rest of the schedule is a cake walk. Chamberlain might make you sweat. 

Sucks to have all this potential, and your coached didnt find you guys a showcase game against a powerhouse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 7:25 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

Tim Shifflet at Winter Park is one of the most tenured coaches in the Orlando area.  I don't believe Winter Park has been overly loaded with big name talent the past few years, yet has managed to be very competitive.  I think as long as they have a reasonable amount of talent this year, there is no reason to believe Coach Shifflet will not have them competitive again.  

Winter Park does have one of the top cornerbacks in the state...Ethan Pouncey...and a 6'6" pocket passer named Casey Case, who saw playing time last year as a junior.   

Winter Park is loaded at the skill positions. Ethan Pouncey has committed to Texas where his brother is playng WR. Starting QB Casey Case has a big arm and has committed to play for Buffalo. One of their WR's is committed to Miami. Another top prospect, Dakota Mitchell, had a pair of 70 yard TD's against Lyman last weekend. Winter Park has a half dozen D1 prospects with tons of speed at all the skill positions. They play Wekiva this Friday in their opener,. After seeing Wekiva in Spring game against Bishop Moore and watching several WP practices and scrimmages, I expect WP to win by at least 20 points over Wekiva. Maybe then, they'll get some recognition in the 8A polls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Winter Park is loaded at the skill positions. Ethan Pouncey has committed to Texas where his brother is playng WR. Starting QB Casey Case has a big arm and has committed to play for Buffalo. One of their WR's is committed to Miami. Another top prospect, Dakota Mitchell, had a pair of 70 yard TD's against Lyman last weekend. Winter Park has a half dozen D1 prospects with tons of speed at all the skill positions. They play Wekiva this Friday in their opener,. After seeing Wekiva in Spring game against Bishop Moore and watching several WP practices and scrimmages, I expect WP to win by at least 20 points over Wekiva. Maybe then, they'll get some recognition in the 8A polls.

Always like Winter Park and C Case is a QB any team would love to have. Hopefully they have THE breakout year after coming so close the last few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pipe Dreams said:

Jones is only a sleeper outside of Orlando. 

Jones is loaded with talent; they won't catch anyone by surprise, but should be a favorite in 5A this year. Jones and Bishop Moore should make playoffs in 5A. Both teams play tough schedules including games against much larger opponents. The two teams meet in week 4 this season; it should be a good game. BM opens this week with rival Edgewater (7A), another of the top teams in Orlando area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

Winter Park is loaded at the skill positions. Ethan Pouncey has committed to Texas where his brother is playng WR. Starting QB Casey Case has a big arm and has committed to play for Buffalo. One of their WR's is committed to Miami. Another top prospect, Dakota Mitchell, had a pair of 70 yard TD's against Lyman last weekend. Winter Park has a half dozen D1 prospects with tons of speed at all the skill positions. They play Wekiva this Friday in their opener,. After seeing Wekiva in Spring game against Bishop Moore and watching several WP practices and scrimmages, I expect WP to win by at least 20 points over Wekiva. Maybe then, they'll get some recognition in the 8A polls.

If Winter Park got a 5-star skill position transfer, folks would be all over it and some would undoubtedly be hyping WP this year.  But I guess having a good HC with 13 years invested in a program isn't nearly as exciting to talk about.  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 11:18 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

These 6 teams have all posted solid performances three seasons in a row and have established themselves as tough outs in the playoffs.  I am not predicting any of them will win a state title, but their programs clearly have some good momentum. 

 

Winter Park(8A)-31-7 over the past three seasons.  Have made it to the second round or beyond each season, losing to Mandarin last year and Wekiva the year prior..

Sarasota Riverview(8A)-30-8 over the past three seasons.  Playoff losses came against Dr Phillips(twice) and Mandarin last season. 

Miami Palmetto(8A)-27-6 over the past three seasons.  Three playoff losses came against very tough Miami-Dade competition.

Navarre(7A)-32-6 over the past three seasons. Have made it to the second round or beyond each season.

Vanguard(5A)-Have made it to the third round of the playoffs each of the past 3 seasons and won 10 or more games each season. 

Jones(5A)-Have won 10 games each of the past three seasons.  Its 3 playoff losses came against Cardinal Gibbons(twice) and Cocoa.  2 of those losses were by less than a TD.

 

From Central Florida, I agree with Jones, but not this year's Winter Park team unless it makes a lot of improvement as the season progresses. Winter Park has talent, but, they don't look the part to me (I saw the spring game and good chunks of the Wekiva game last night).

I have said it before, but will repeat for emphasis, the Mandarin of Central Florida this year is going to be Spruce Creek  provided their key running back and quarterback remain healthy. I would totally not be surprised if they are the North's state finalist and would not be surprised if, like Mandarin, they won the title. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 9:33 AM, nolebull813 said:

too bad your schedule stinks. looks like only 2 good teams. Hillsborough and Plant will be losses. The rest of the schedule is a cake walk. Chamberlain might make you sweat. 

Sucks to have all this potential, and your coached didnt find you guys a showcase game against a powerhouse. 

We have very little control over our schedule in Hillsborough. We are allowed to request a game that we see as a must have for our schedule. We chose Gaither as they are 2 miles from our school and our rival in nearly every sport. The county for whatever reason didn't make this happen. It would have been a fun environment with a big crowd and lots of good friends on both sides who grew up playing together. Heck their starting qb was at our school for 2 years. So, we play the schedule we are given. Not on the coach here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 11:48 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

From Central Florida, I agree with Jones, but not this year's Winter Park team unless it makes a lot of improvement as the season progresses. Winter Park has talent, but, they don't look the part to me (I saw the spring game and good chunks of the Wekiva game last night).

I have said it before, but will repeat for emphasis, the Mandarin of Central Florida this year is going to be Spruce Creek  provided their key running back and quarterback remain healthy. I would totally not be surprised if they are the North's state finalist and would not be surprised if, like Mandarin, they won the title. 

I’m not sold on them as a state contender yet.  I want to see how they do vs FPC and Deland first

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×