Florida vs OOS

nolebull813

14 hours ago, NewEraFball said:

Couldn't agree more. I only see it getting worse too. The state is not what it used to be. Wonder why....

Because the state legislation don't give a crap about public schools so now we see public schools getting underfunded so they can send millions to their "precious" IMG sports academy

On 9/1/2019 at 1:03 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Because the state legislation don't give a crap about public schools so now we see public schools getting underfunded so they can send millions to their "precious" IMG sports academy

This isn't even about IMG. IMG isn't affecting the whole state as negatively as you would think. They don't even compete in state tournaments either so idk why everyone gets so bent out of shape about them. It's a prep school. No different than any other, except for more success. I do agree with underfunding though. It's a major issue, but let's be honest...it's not changing any time soon. 

23 minutes ago, badbird said:

Columbiafan bashes them any chance he gets and the QB is from Jones

He has a weird obsession with them... They are all but 30 minutes from my house and they are never on my mind.  So they got a QB from Jones.  I have not heard much else about them grabbing Florida players this year though.  Seems they are focused more globally than from their initial kickoff a few years ago.

26 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

He has a weird obsession with them... They are all but 30 minutes from my house and they are never on my mind.  So they got a QB from Jones.  I have not heard much else about them grabbing Florida players this year though.  Seems they are focused more globally than from their initial kickoff a few years ago.

yeah their recruiting budget grew.  They don't bother me either.   I would actually go watch them some if I lived closer.

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They stealing state money that could go to real schools 

Why would I like them?

I think i saw you do the breakdown and it was something like an extra 4K per school if it was dished out... That won't buy toilet paper for those schools... The thing is if it was not them getting it it would be someone else.. Those funds would never end up in the hands of the public schools either way.

1 minute ago, peezy28 said:

I think i saw you do the breakdown and it was something like an extra 4K per school if it was dished out... That won't buy toilet paper for those schools... The thing is if it was not them getting it it would be someone else.. Those funds would never end up in the hands of the public schools either way.

Yeah that is true but main reason I did that breakdown was to show if you attempted to take the money IMG was getting just in a single year you can start adding up and publics could get proper funding 

Just imagine taking all the waste spending each year and pushing it that way and you could get much better public school system

I don't know how much state money, if any, IMG has received over the last couple of years, but if you expand out to five years, the number is close to $10 million.   One state legislator (State Rep Jim Boyd) justified it this way:  IMG has "become an international sports juggernaut that is attracting 12,000 athletes a year to train in the region." That in turn is "pulling in tourists and growing Florida's fledgling sports tourism industry."

Sources: 

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/06/18/Facilities/IMG-Academy.aspx

https://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/sports-juggernaut-img-academy-a-big-surprising-winner-in-state-budget/2234120/

In short, IMG is getting state assistance because it's a business that is generating income to the state in the form of tourist tax dollars.  Now, we can debate the pros and cons of this strategy all day long.  Same for whether any business, much less one masquerading as a school, deserves tax dollars.  But the thing that I think most of us can agree on is that IMG is not just another high school.  In fact, it's not just another private school.  If anything, when it comes to their athletic programs, it is, as someone noted above, more akin to a prep school.   

Therein lies the problem.   Prep schools exists primarily in the northeast.  Prep schools often include kids who have graduated from high school, but who have not yet gone on to college.   Because of this, prep schools tend to play other prep schools . . . which you can do if there is a group of them in a particular geographic area.  There are no other prep schools for IMG to play down here (and by "down here," I basically mean from the Mason-Dixon line south).  So, IMG has two choices:  play a national schedule (which involves 4-5 travel games a year) or play a couple of "national" games and then fill out the schedule with whatever in-state teams are willing to play you.  They are neither fish nor fowl. 

1 minute ago, Perspective said:

I don't know how much state money, if any, IMG has received over the last couple of years, but if you expand out to five years, the number is close to $10 million.   One state legislator (State Rep Jim Boyd) justified it this way:  IMG has "become an international sports juggernaut that is attracting 12,000 athletes a year to train in the region." That in turn is "pulling in tourists and growing Florida's fledgling sports tourism industry."

Sources: 

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2015/06/18/Facilities/IMG-Academy.aspx

https://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/sports-juggernaut-img-academy-a-big-surprising-winner-in-state-budget/2234120/

In short, IMG is getting state assistance because it's a business that is generating income to the state in the form of tourist tax dollars.  Now, we can debate the pros and cons of this strategy all day long.  Same for whether any business, much less one masquerading as a school, deserves tax dollars.  But the thing that I think most of us can agree on is that IMG is not just another high school.  In fact, it's not just another private school.  If anything, when it comes to their athletic programs, it is, as someone noted above, more akin to a prep school.   

Therein lies the problem.   Prep schools exists primarily in the northeast.  Prep schools often include kids who have graduated from high school, but who have not yet gone on to college.   Because of this, prep schools tend to play other prep schools . . . which you can do if there is a group of them in a particular geographic area.  There are no other prep schools for IMG to play down here (and by "down here," I basically mean from the Mason-Dixon line south).  So, IMG has two choices:  play a national schedule (which involves 4-5 travel games a year) or play a couple of "national" games and then fill out the schedule with whatever in-state teams are willing to play you.  They are neither fish nor fowl. 

As I've said when it was brought up before it's not as if IMG gonna suddenly pack up and move if the state stops funding them, they have too much money already invested in their campus to just stop using it

Sure they could justify giving them some money when it was being built up but there isn't a need to keep funding them anymore as they are self generating plenty of income all on their own to continue to grow the regions tourism economy without needing any financial involvement of the state

37 minutes ago, peezy28 said:

Who knows on that but even if they did my schedule is not set up to allow me to travel on Fridays this year.

Translation:  Now that I have kids, Friday night is date night.  And my wife has made it clear that if I want to have any shot at getting a little nooky, I best not spend my Friday nights out watching high school football games.  B)

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

Translation:  Now that I have kids, Friday night is date night.  And my wife has made it clear that if I want to have any shot at getting a little nooky, I best not spend my Friday nights out watching high school football games.  B)

Actually on the contrary my wife usually works a 12 on Fridays (since she is in school Tuesday through Thursday now) and by the time she gets home at around 8 She is too tired to go out anywhere and the kids have worn me out so I am tired and by that time I can only make it to a Plant game and have it still be in the 1st half <_< and since Plant Sucks this year I just stay home or go catch the 2nd half of one of the close by teams (CCC, Clearwater, Largo, PPark). 

For me to travel to Lake City I would essentially have to abandon my kids to fend for themselves for about 4 hours while they wait for mommy to get home... The 2 year old would probably be okay but not so sure about the 4 year old LOL.... I won't be traveling much if at all this season or next season for any game.