Who Is Missing from the Polls?

OldSchoolLion

Of the 10 teams below, which do you think was the biggest surprise to not make the top 10 in their class?  Come year end, who will we say was the biggest "miss?"  All 10 are quite successful programs.

8A Dr Phillips

8A Osceola

8A Winter Park

7A Dwyer

7A Miramar

7A Niceville

7A Tampa Bay Tech

5A Bishop Moore 

4A Tampa Catholic

1A Blountstown

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Of the 10 teams below, which do you think was the biggest surprise to not make the top 10 in their class?  Come year end, who will we say was the biggest "miss?"  All 10 are quite successful programs.

8A Dr Phillips

8A Dwyer

8A Osceola

8A Winter Park

7A Miramar

7A Niceville

7A Tampa Bay Tech

5A Bishop Moore 

4A Tampa Catholic

1A Blountstown

Dwyer is 7a and has many question marks 

In fact many insiders in SFL i have spoken to don't even have Dwyer as top 10 in Palm Beach county

And Niceville with John Hicks retiring is a question mark themselves, they need to prove they can stay at that level under new leadership

3 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

8A Dr Phillips

8A Osceola

8A Winter Park

7A Dwyer

7A Miramar

7A Niceville

7A Tampa Bay Tech

5A Bishop Moore 

4A Tampa Catholic

1A Blountstown

I'd say Bishop Moore and Winter Parl

4 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

8A Dr Phillips

8A Osceola

8A Winter Park

7A Dwyer

7A Miramar

7A Niceville

7A Tampa Bay Tech

5A Bishop Moore 

4A Tampa Catholic

1A Blountstown

Depending on which poll you are looking at? AP or the FloridaHSFootball.com rankings?

Let me say first... the AP Poll has lost my vote of confidence. Island Coast who has struggled the last few years is ranked in the Top 10 in 6A. I don't even have them on my radar in their own REGION in 6A... and they only had 8 people vote from over 25 daily newspapers in the state that can vote. This is when you know there is an issue.

On to my rankings 

- 8A... Dr. Phillips... I am concerned about. Need to see them do a little bit more. If they struggle, they might not even win the district.

- 8A... Osceola... Might not be a strong as they have been the last few years, but I do have them as the second team in my First Five Out.

- 8A... Winter Park... 8A has become so stacked in the North, but this could be a legitimate miss.

- 7A... Dwyer... I got some serious reservations right now about the Panthers. 

- 7A... Miramar... They probably wish they were still in Class 8A right now... holy smokes 7A football right now! ON FIRE!!!!

- 7A... Niceville... District setup is nuts... I like to see how Coach Thompson does things before I push having to place a 4th team from 7A-1 into rankings between the Top 10 and First Five Out

- 7A... Tampa Bay Tech... A team that is listed in the First Five Out. But could be ranked by the time the play Armwood. 

- 5A... Bishop Moore... 5A got deeper. Possible Bishop Moore becomes a casualty of that with the rankings.

- 4A... Tampa Catholic... Pretty close to being sold on them. They are my first team out on the First FIve Out for Class 4A. Could be ranked by midseason.

- 1A... Blountstown... I have them as my first team out on my First Five Out... I am mostly concerned about the roster size for the Tigers this year which is only 22. Hurricane Michael effects still happening to this very day. It is sad. They also have a tough schedule, so staying healthy is going to be priority No. 1 for them.

8A - Winter Park - may be the 2nd best team in Central Florida to Lakeland. Edgewater (7A) embarassed Dr Phillips last week (DP won't come close to winning district). DP will get more than they can handle this week with Seminole (Sanford), and Osceola will be good but are playing in shadow of Lakeland.

5A - Bishop Moore - has toughest schedule in the 1st four weeks of any team in Central Florida (Edgewater, Gainesville Eastside, Bishop Spaulding, and Jones). They should make the playoffs, but won't be ranked unless they win three of those first four which would be a miracle. 

On 8/21/2019 at 9:19 PM, HornetFan said:

8A - Winter Park - may be the 2nd best team in Central Florida to Lakeland. Edgewater (7A) embarassed Dr Phillips last week (DP won't come close to winning district). DP will get more than they can handle this week with Seminole (Sanford), and Osceola will be good but are playing in shadow of Lakeland.

5A - Bishop Moore - has toughest schedule in the 1st four weeks of any team in Central Florida (Edgewater, Gainesville Eastside, Bishop Spaulding, and Jones). They should make the playoffs, but won't be ranked unless they win three of those first four which would be a miracle. 

Boone, Oak Ridge, East Ridge, Olympia or Windermere.  Which one of those teams will blow out DP?

11 hours ago, badbird said:

Boone, Oak Ridge, East Ridge, Olympia or Windermere.  Which one of those teams will blow out DP?

You are probably on to something. DP draws the weakest 8A district in Central Florida, so they may find a way into playoffs. I look forward to seeing the rsults of their game with Seminole tonight. Seminole blew out a decent Oviedo team last week.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:32 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

8A Dr Phillips

8A Osceola

8A Winter Park

7A Dwyer

7A Miramar

7A Niceville

7A Tampa Bay Tech

5A Bishop Moore 

4A Tampa Catholic

1A Blountstown

Osceola and Bishop Moore should be top 10 in their respective classes. Dr. Phillips seems, at this stage, to be a shell of its usual self. However, last year they started just as badly and made the third round, so we will see.   I don't know much about Niceville this year, but historically they have always been a tough team. 

Winter Park lost to Wekiva tonight 35-21, a surprising loss for WP. I don't know how the game went, but will check with my grandson tomorrow (he went to the game) and try to offer some insight.

Seminole put it to Dr Phillips 35-13. Seminole is loaded with talented players and should be a top 5 team in Central Florida this fall.

Penalties and turnovers killed Winter Park.  Wekiva is better than I thought they would be.  With that said I still think Winter Park is better.  Two turnovers returned for TD's and another TD set up by a turnover.   Wekiva has a really good coach.  His kids play hard for him and it works for them.  He reminds me of a younger Bill Gierke when he was at Edgewater.  

3 hours ago, badbird said:

Penalties and turnovers killed Winter Park.  Wekiva is better than I thought they would be.  With that said I still think Winter Park is better.  Two turnovers returned for TD's and another TD set up by a turnover.   Wekiva has a really good coach.  His kids play hard for him and it works for them.  He reminds me of a younger Bill Gierke when he was at Edgewater.  

Winter Park started out strong in the 1st quarter going up 14-0. They got bit by the turnover bug, had two fumbles returned for Wekiva TD's, and a 40 yard kickoff they failed to field that Wekiva recovered and converted to a TD. They never recovered giving up 35 straight points. We'll have to see what happens this week when they travel to Georgia to play a nationally ranked team from Ohio. 

• 3 weeks later...