Lakeland 45 Manatee 0

Legion37

I watched the classic game against Osceola to mid-way point of the 2nd QT,  Osceola had everything go wrong in the 1st QT and the OL didn't do anything in the way of blocking other than maybe get in the way of Lakeland defenders. They still scored 20 points against Lakeland, although that could have happen against the 2nd stringers for Lakeland. Osceola turned it around this week and beat a Harmony team that went 9-2 a year ago 45-0.

That brings me to last nights game against my Hurricanes. Not to take anything away from Lakeland,  but I thought this was the most un-prepared Manatee team I've seen in years............There might have been a good reason why the best job current OC Jaquez Green could find was with a dismal McDonough , GA HS, prior to getting reacquainted with his old buddie and current HBC at Manatee........the offensive play calling was terrible plain and simple! The Manatee defense wasn't too far behind either. Will be interesting to see how Manatee responds this coming week against county rival Palmetto HS, to get a better handle on whether its just a result of playing a team like Lakeland or something more systemic related to the leadership at the top of the program.

1 hour ago, FL_HS_football said:

I watched the classic game against Osceola to mid-way point of the 2nd QT,  Osceola had everything go wrong in the 1st QT and the OL didn't do anything in the way of blocking other than maybe get in the way of Lakeland defenders. They still scored 20 points against Lakeland, although that could have happen against the 2nd stringers for Lakeland. Osceola turned it around this week and beat a Harmony team that went 9-2 a year ago 45-0.

That brings me to last nights game against my Hurricanes. Not to take anything away from Lakeland,  but I thought this was the most un-prepared Manatee team I've seen in years............There might have been a good reason why the best job current OC Jaquez Green could find was with a dismal McDonough , GA HS, prior to getting reacquainted with his old buddie and current HBC at Manatee........the offensive play calling was terrible plain and simple! The Manatee defense wasn't too far behind either. Will be interesting to see how Manatee responds this coming week against county rival Palmetto HS, to get a better handle on whether its just a result of playing a team like Lakeland or something more systemic related to the leadership at the top of the program.

Osceola's scores came after the game was 43-0 and 3rd/4th stringers were in the game. Each of Osceola's scores came from their leading rusher last year who's the projected leading rusher this year as well (Dewayne McGee), against guys WAY down the depth chart. So, there's no reason to conclude Manatee is any worse than Osceola. And, there is reason to believe Osceola is a top 10 team in 8A. 

Manatee losing sophmore RB Kyree Jones for the season hurts. He looked like a young Jerome Bettis. I think a big key will be how they respond to this dismantling. They obviously established zero rhythm or momentum coming out of this game. But Shakir traveled to watch Lakeland-Osceola and tweeted out the lopsided halftime score. He knows, and needs to get his team to know, that they can bounce back as nobody they play will be anywhere near as good as this Lakeland team. The Manatee announcing team (always among the finest anywhere, RIP Dave Bristow) may have been correct when one of them mentioned this may be among the finest teams in state history. They're going to make most everyone look very bad. 

Lots of talk about the transfers in to Lakeland this offseason. Adding to a program that was loaded last year just makes these results seem expected. Lakeland might only be challenged by STA this entire season. The rest of us can just wait patiently around for that game to happen in November. 

4 hours ago, Bamarod said:

Lots of talk about the transfers in to Lakeland this offseason. Adding to a program that was loaded last year just makes these results seem expected. Lakeland might only be challenged by STA this entire season. The rest of us can just wait patiently around for that game to happen in November. 

I would be shocked if Armwood did not give them a fight.