Can anybody stop the Dreadnaughts?

Big Ray

9 hours ago, Legion37 said:

Lakeland could stop lakeland and perhaps injuries. Last night only the Ref's stopped Lakeland and the running clock. Lakeland was awfully dominant last night and they were without their starting QB, transfer Chayil Garnett who is a big time passer. (6-2 205 with 2,028 passing yards and 18 TD's to just 4 INT's while at Lake Wales). When Lakeland adds that to their attack (and last night the QB was pretty decent when he did throw.) just imagine!

Legion37, how do you feel that the officials stopped Lakeland and the running clock.

5 hours ago, skyway said:

Have to flag this.  Lakeland led STA by 19 with 2 minutes and change to play, having had an easy TD called back, another easy TD dropped and a bogus hurdling penalty on a great run. Central TRAILED STA going into the 4th quarter. They won by 16 on what looked a lot like a garbage time TD. Your memory seems to have faded a bit here.

Skyway, what problem did you have with the hurdling call in the state title game? I viewed the game on youtube, but I don't remember that specific call.

11 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Skyway, what problem did you have with the hurdling call in the state title game? I viewed the game on youtube, but I don't remember that specific call.

Go to the 2:05 mark in the video. https://videogg.com/watch?v=ee1Mtk0tLxM

Bowman breaks off a 30 yard run deep in Aquinas territory and makes an incredible leap of the defender that was called back. Obviously Lakeland fans didn't like it and even some Aquinas fans I talked with thought it was a ridiculous call.

But you are the expert on officiating, what say ye? 

https://twitter.com/countypolk?lang=en

9 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Legion37, how do you feel that the officials stopped Lakeland and the running clock.

Lakeland's offense had to punt twice I think, once being stopped by penalties (lakeland had 2 TD's called back) and simply used the running clock to end the game, or at least try to. They also turned it over on downs at the end. IIRC

My point was Manatee's D never really stopped Lakeland's O and so to answer the question "can anyone stop Lakeland" my view was that Friday night and the way their offense looks, the anser is NO. 

The real issue with the hurdling call in that game was that the defender went low and was trying to hit Bowman below the knees, Bowman leaped over him. What was Bowman supposed to do? Allow the hit below the knee? I understand the rule but safety needs to go both ways. even the announcer was sort of incredulous. Use links below to save image.

It is not so memorable because eventually that penalty led to a bigger loss followed by another big penalty forcing the Dreadnaughts into an eventual 3rd and 25. Which they converted by a long pass leading to a FG.  So ultimately Lakeland overcame the hurdling penalty in the same drive. The long pass to get the first down was memorable.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:18 AM, skyway said:

Armwood has looked as scary good as Lakeland has these first two weeks. I have no clue how the playoff points will work. But, if Armwood ends up with a home game vs. Lakeland, that will be pretty epic as far as Florida HS football goes. Edgewater, especially in a home game, will be very tough as well.

Class 7A is outstanding this year. It may well be the best class in a given year in state history. And it tilts heavily towards the North side of the bracket. Should be a VERY difficult route to a state title for anyone. 

But, yes, Lakeland may STILL blow through everyone and win it again. If they do, they will rank among the best teams ever in the state.

I like your post.  If Lakeland has to play the region final at Armwood, they will be facing a team that is 40-2 in the playoffs at Lyle Flagg and whose 2 losses were both by less than a TD.  Statistically speaking, no team in the state is tougher than Armwood in the playoffs at home.  

Even if Lakeland gets home advantage, the Naughts would be facing one of the greatest playoff teams of the decade-see thread below.  

"But Lakeland got all of those transfers this year"   Fact: Armwood and Chaminade were the kings of transfers last year(based on actual numbers), and without having facts this year, my guess is that Armwood did pretty well in that department this year as well. 

What's my point of all this?  I think it is way too premature to say that Lakeland would be a heavy favorite over Armwood in a region final. 

Finally, even if the Naughts win the state title and go undefeated, it might be difficult for us to call them one of the best teams in state history(except by the eye test).  Their regular season schedule is relatively soft for a team of their caliber.  Their first two playoff games could be against "easy" competition.  Come year's end, their only big games could be the region final, semi and state final.  It would be apples and oranges to compare a team with a schedule like that against certain teams of the past who played a much tougher schedule...even other Lakeland teams ...just some thoughts.  

4 hours ago, Legion37 said:

Use links below to save image.What Bowman saw just before the leap

I've got to think that seeing a big "Do Not Hotlink Images" sign in the middle of a run would be somewhat distracting for a running back.  B)     (Or am I the only one seeing this on your posts when, it would appear, you are trying to post an image?).

18 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

The shame with the running clock Friday in Bradenton was the way the officials stopped play for several minutes at a time a few times, all while the clock ran. Even the Manatee announcers were annoyed. The running clock shouldn't be mandated until the 4th quarter. And stoppages that can last several minutes should result in a clock stoppage.

59 minutes ago, skyway said:

The shame with the running clock Friday in Bradenton was the way the officials stopped play for several minutes at a time a few times, all while the clock ran. Even the Manatee announcers were annoyed. The running clock shouldn't be mandated until the 4th quarter. And stoppages that can last several minutes should result in a clock stoppage.

On the other side of your post... I have to believe the officials didn't see any reason to risk injuries in a game that was already won, starting in the 3rd quarter or not. If points is all Lakeland was after in the last quarter, seems a running clock should satisfy all but those with a bad sportsmanship mentality...

12 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

On the other side of your post... I have to believe the officials didn't see any reason to risk injuries in a game that was already won, starting in the 3rd quarter or not. If points is all Lakeland was after in the last quarter, seems a running clock should satisfy all but those with a bad sportsmanship mentality...

Well, in that case, just call the game. There are backups on both teams who practice hard every week and would have liked to get some playing time.

6 hours ago, Legion37 said:

Well it showed up in my desk top...lol

But not my phone...

Well now you know why Lakeland was upset 

When you posted, were the images linked directly to your desktop as opposed to a file share/site accessible to everyone?  That may explain why you can see it when viewed from your desktop but not your phone.

1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch said:

This tells me that Lakeland is very good at making half time ajustments, wearing down a team, and playing all 4 quarters.

That's very true and a good point.  My point was simply that Lakeland was not so utterly dominant that it could run over its opponents from the opening kickoff...even certain B+ teams.   I'm sure Lakeland's size and depth last year were an advantage over certain teams like Kathleen.  That size and depth advantage would not be as great if they were playing against the likes of Northwestern, Central and Columbus every week.     

On 8/24/2019 at 1:55 PM, Legion37 said:

Lakeland could stop lakeland and perhaps injuries. Last night only the Ref's stopped Lakeland and the running clock. Lakeland was awfully dominant last night and they were without their starting QB, transfer Chayil Garnett who is a big time passer. (6-2 205 with 2,028 passing yards and 18 TD's to just 4 INT's while at Lake Wales). When Lakeland adds that to their attack (and last night the QB was pretty decent when he did throw.) just imagine!

My question: Can you really call him the starter if he has LITERALLY never started a game for your school and just transferred in from a school he was at for the past three years. I've heard people say "They're even without their starting QB" and to be honest it just sounds ridiculous considering he's never even worn the Lakeland jersey before other than for pictures...

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

How many of this year's starters at Lakeland played for another school last year?  Just curious.  Would like to see to some facts concerning all of these transfers Lakeland supposedly got.

Good question, and I looking forward to seeing the answer. 

In the meantime, remember that transfers can impact programs in a number of ways:  (1) obviously, some transfers are better than others; I would argue that picking up a one or two 3-star players has more significance than picking up five no-star transfers, even if all five were to become starters; (2) one or two quality transfers, who do become starters, often times allows a coach to move the 'original starter' to a position that is better suited for his skill/talent level; and (3) along those same lines, a couple of good transfers and the inevitable shifting of players could knock a team's glaring weakness right to the bench.    Also, keep in mind the positions that the transfers play.  If the player transferring in is a quality kicker, for example, and his new team doesn't have a returning or rising place kicker, the transfer could make a 5-point per game difference on average.    Finally, transfers at the high school level can add much-needed depth to a team, perhaps giving key personnel critical breaks in big games. 

Oh (in the spirit of Steve Jobs), one last thing:  just because the transfer isn't named a starter over the son of Booster Joe really doesn't mean a whole lot if the transfer ends up playing most of the game and all of the critical downs.  

On 8/25/2019 at 8:20 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

That's very true and a good point.  My point was simply that Lakeland was not so utterly dominant that it could run over its opponents from the opening kickoff...even certain B+ teams.   I'm sure Lakeland's size and depth last year were an advantage over certain teams like Kathleen.  That size and depth advantage would not be as great if they were playing against the likes of Northwestern, Central and Columbus every week.     

I agree. Heck man, I'm thinking you're right most every post. It is cool that other posters like to draw out more of your thoughts. 

Lakeland has had some very easy schedules up to playoffs. I had a feeling when open transfers were allowed that Lakeland would rise to the top again. Of course they play maybe 2 or 3 above average teams a year and maybe 1 elite team in the playoffs. Eventually seeding will get to them when they don't play tougher schools and get the extra points for a higher seed.

Can anybody stop the Dreadnaughts?

Well, with 20 something transfers I would certainly hope not. Is there any player on the team that has lived in Lakeland for more than a season? (sarcasm). I'm hoping that nobody associated with the team has the gall to criticize IMG for being a professional sports academy.