Central Florida top 10

badbird

Bishop Moore barely escaped Gainesville Eastside last night 45-44, winning on a last minute field goal. The Eastside QB, a UF commit, was very good and picked apart a very weak BM secondary. It appears that BM has become a first half team, especially on defense. The defensive coaches try to ride their defensive line starters the entire game, making little or no use of reserves even when their starters are burned out mid-3rd quarter. This has happened in their pre-season game against West Orange, and their first two regular season games. With Archbishop Spaulding and Jones up the next two weeks, this spells disaster for the Hornets. BM's offense is capable of scoring points; their run game is good, especially on sweeps and their passing game is better than average. The problem they have is their secondary cannot defend the long pass, getting beat deep multiple times in every game so far. Last night, they had 2 occasions where receivers were open by 20-25 yards with no defender in sight. The D-Line starts well but burns out after halftime. If the defensive coaches continue to use their starters throughout the game, the next two games will be blowout losses (may be anyway) and tired kids may suffer injuries related to being over-tired. Time to put in the reserves early in the game; it would also improve morale of kids watching the game from the sidelines. I don't think BM deserves to be in Central Florida top 10 at this time based upon performance in first two regular season games.

12 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

I don't think BM deserves to be in Central Florida top 10 at this time based upon performance in first two regular season games.

I believe you are underselling Bishop Moore. I get the point with weak secondary, but believe they are CF top 10. Overall, Central Florida looks relatively weak this year. BM is a good high school team that is unfortunate to be paired with Jones who is state caliber. 

Just now, DarterBlue2 said:

I believe you are underselling Bishop Moore. I get the point with weak secondary, but believe they are CF top 10. Overall, Central Florida looks relatively weak this year. BM is a good high school team that is unfortunate to be paired with Jones who is state caliber. 

If not for their weak secondary, I may be able to agree with them being potential top 10 in Central Florida. But, I've been to all their games this season. I have watched each team they played run deep patterns and have wide open receivers over and over. Part of this is on lack of size, talent, and speed, part is secondary coach putting them in situations they can't win. A CB should not be playing a WR tight at the line of scrimmage if it's apparent to everyone in the stadium that the WR is too fast for the DB. The coach puts them in this situation too often at the same time he plays his safeties up against the run threat; he leaves the DB on a island without a raft. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

they played good enough vs West Orange (KOC) and Edgewater week 1 to deserve to be there.  They might not be top 10 at the end of the year but I can't name 10 schools in Central Florida that would have beat West Orange (real game they win) and lose by less than 7 to Edgewater

10 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Bishop Moore is gonna get hung out to dry against Archbishop Spalding. 

Winter Park got spanked too. They aren’t very good. 

Edgewater has a chance to prove themselves 

BM will be hosting a very tough Archbishop Spaulding (Baltimore) team this week. Spaulding beat them pretty bad last year up in Baltimore. I hope BM can keep it respectable for first half. After that, it will be tough as Spaulding is another of those teams full of recruits and having great depth. They'll probably wear BM down in second half. Spaulding is ranked 2nd in Baltimore to St Francis, who spanked Miami Central last week making them look like a Pop Warner team. 

Winter Park actually led Pickerington Central (Ohio) at half, but faded in 2nd half. PC is ranked in top 20 nationally, so loss to them isn't a disaster for WP.

Edgewater/Jones game this week will be for #1 in Orlando area. Both teams loaded with transfers, have great speed at skill positions, and big lines. This should be a great game.