Opponent's Winning Percentage (and Opponent's Opponent's Winning Percentage)

gatorman-uf

Maybe somebody can help me out...

For FHSAA ranking purposes:
1)If you are calculating your opponent's winning percentage do you include your victory/loss in the calculation?
Example: 
Team A: 3 Wins, 3 Losses, .500 winning percentage
Your team beat Team A, do you use the .600 winning percentage (if you disregard their loss to you) or do you use the .500 winning percentage?

2) Same question, but with opponent opponent's winning percentage

3) do you average the winning percentages (of opponents and opponents opponent's) or do you take the total number of wins of opponents and divide by the total number of games played?

I am sure the FHSAA will have this under control, but it is a lot more work than the previous system to get right.

I have already started compiling for our region as I am a numbers guy. I am having some similar issues as it isn't extremely clear but here is what I understand. 

For opponents you will not count the game they played against your school. Take each of their winning percentages rounded to the .000, add them together and divide by number of opponents. 

For opponents of opponents you will do the same. Take out your opponents games from their opponents games... and follow suit. 

If you are seeing it differently please let me know. I wish it was a bit more clear. 

Steinbrenner,

Sadly, I don't think you can just do your own region anymore like the last one. This time, you almost have to do every school. I have done the numbers before on the old system, but this makes me not want to do it. Everything you said is how I would do it if I don't get any more information, but I haven't really even thought about it too much. With the hurricane coming, it might give me something to do. 

If you update it regularly, you could use the https://floridahsfootball.com/scoreboards/class-8a-scoreboard/ and click each class. It won't get all the games, and you have to backtrack to Thursday and Saturday occasionally, but if you are doing it nightly it could be of use.

39 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Steinbrenner,

Sadly, I don't think you can just do your own region anymore like the last one. This time, you almost have to do every school. I have done the numbers before on the old system, but this makes me not want to do it. Everything you said is how I would do it if I don't get any more information, but I haven't really even thought about it too much. With the hurricane coming, it might give me something to do. 

If you update it regularly, you could use the https://floridahsfootball.com/scoreboards/class-8a-scoreboard/ and click each class. It won't get all the games, and you have to backtrack to Thursday and Saturday occasionally, but if you are doing it nightly it could be of use.

Thanks brother... I have created a basic spreadsheet but there is technically no OP or OOP yet as games dont count against each other. Isn't it still 4 district winners from each division and next best 4 from each region go? If so, doing our region is still a go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-Up Question and thank you for your help...

Team A (10-0) Beats Team B (9-1)

Team B has a win percentage of .900 (9-1), I understand based on what I read on the FHSAA Website that for team A that team B's win percentage would be 1.000 because you would not count that loss since the loss is to team A.

Since Team B faced Team A, do you count Team A's Winning Percentage in Team B's opponent's opponent's winning Percentage when you are figuring this out for Team A, if so that is going to suck to try and do. 

Let Me Try an Example:
St. Augustine is 2-0 (so win percentage would be 1.000)
St. Augustine has beaten Yulee and Menendez.

Yulee is 1 -2
(1-1 for the purposes of Opponent's Winning percentage since you remove the loss to St. Augustine) or .500 win percentage

Menendez is 1-1
(1-0 for the purposes of Opponent's Winning percentage since you remove the loss to St. Augustine)or  1.000 win percentage

So St. Augustine's Opponent's Winning Percentage is .750 ( 1.5 / 2 )  

Yulee Schedule
St. Augustine (2-0) 
(1-0 for the purposes of Opponent's Winning percentage or 1.000)
Fernandina Beach (0-3)
(0-2 for the purposes of Opponent's Winning Percentage or 0.000)
West Nassau (2-1)
(1-1 for the purposes of Opponent's Winning Percentage or 0.500)
For Yulee's Opponent's Winning percentage of .500

Menendez Schedule
Palatka (0-2)
(0-1 for the purposes of Opponent's winning percentage or 0.000)
St. Augustine (2-0) 
(1-0 for the purposes of Opponent's Winning percentage or 1.000)
For Menendez's Opponent's Winning percentage of .500

So St. Augustine's Opponent's Opponent's Winning Percentage would be .500 (( .500+.500 ) / 2 )

My question is for the above, do I count St. Augustine's Winning Percentage in the Yulee and Menendez's Opponent's Winning Percentage when figuring out St. Augustine's Opponent's Opponent's Winning Percentage. 
If removed, both OOWP would shrink to 0.250 and 0.000, and thus overall average would shrink to .125 instead of .500.

Thank you to the Florida HS football scoreboard with Score Steam, makes it much easier to look up the scores rather than maxpreps. Additionally, thank you to Laz for the Laz Index which helps me check the records. It is a great tool when trying to do this 

2 hours ago, badbird said:

They don’t want you to figure it out because you might make fun of it once you do.  

I resent the fact that you think I would make fun of this amazingly awesome stupendous system. The FHSAA as always has run the numbers on things like this and shared that information completely with everyone to allow for complete and absolute trust in the system.  Ok going to stop now.... 

Honestly, I am probably going to do that no matter what the situation is. The only difference is that I would like to be accurate when mocking rather than just shooting from the hip. I know they will release the information in 2-3 weeks from now, but I know the time it takes to set something like this up. To do ONE (1) region, it is going to take know the records of 276 teams, and of those 276 teams having to know who beat who for 87 of those teams (even though I just care about the 20-25 teams in a given region).

I remember the first year of the "power" point system, every week I e-mailed the FHSAA with small errors, but I was only looking at one region in one Classification. Who knows if there were errors in other areas. By the 2nd year they had cleaned up the errors and I only sent one e-mail at the beginning for a small problem.

On a complete different side note, if some coach would like to pay me in Buffalo Wild Wings, Beef O Brady, Hooters, or WingHouse gift cards next year so that I run the numbers for their region, please let me know. I will also accept straight cash.