No week 3 talk ...sooo all of florida games are canceld ??

THIS_IS_DILLARD

Dorian is supposed to be up in Georgia Wednesday evening. Don't know how that affects football on Friday night in Florida. It seems that the only part of Florida being affected is the extreme parts of the east coast of Florida and even that isn't any more than what a normal  thunderstorm or two is like. I think these administrators in schools jump the gun every chance they get not fully realizing the scheduling upset they are causing for no viable reason at all. How about they monitor the storm to see what, if anything, it will affect and what it will not. Instead of just closing down the schools and all of the activities on a whim. How many hundreds of sporting events statewide  will the shutdown affect? I believe they should think before knee jerk reaction sets in.

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

How bad is it over on the East Coast?  it's only Tuesday.   Dorian's supposed to be all the way up in North Carolina by Friday.  Couldn't teams practice tomorrow and Thursday and play Friday night?  Or at least play Saturday? 

I'm all for taking reasonable precautions, but unless the fields are unplayable (for practice and/or games), I'm not sure why games are being canceled.   What am I missing?

No, they can't practice tomorrow and Thursday schools are closed.

16 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Dorian is supposed to be up in Georgia Wednesday evening. Don't know how that affects football on Friday night in Florida. It seems that the only part of Florida being affected is the extreme parts of the east coast of Florida and even that isn't any more than what a normal  thunderstorm or two is like. I think these administrators in schools jump the gun every chance they get not fully realizing the scheduling upset they are causing for no viable reason at all. How about they monitor the storm to see what, if anything, it will affect and what it will not. Instead of just closing down the schools and all of the activities on a whim. How many hundreds of sporting events statewide  will the shutdown affect? I believe they should think before knee jerk reaction sets in.

In this case it is not the ADs  The whole East Coast is out of school until Friday.  No School means no practice unless your a private school... NO one is going into a game with zero practice.

4 hours ago, Coach said:

The biggest issue is that the districts cancelled school. When they do that, they cancel all activities associated with the district (including practices). I’m in Central Florida and it’s not bad here at all but it’s a tall order to get back to school on Thursday (at the earliest) and try to play a game Friday or Saturday. It becomes a bigger headache if there’s a team from another county who can’t play when you can. No coach likes the Monday game (especially with District games getting ready to start). It sucks for the kids most of all because they lose out on a game if the one they miss isn’t rescheduled. 

Another problem they face is that most of the public high schools are being used for shelters during the storm. Getting everyone out and getting the schools cleaned up for classes will make Friday games all but impossible. Most Orlando area JV and Freshmen games for Thursday have already been cancelled.

50 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Another problem they face is that most of the public high schools are being used for shelters during the storm. Getting everyone out and getting the schools cleaned up for classes will make Friday games all but impossible. Most Orlando area JV and Freshmen games for Thursday have already been cancelled.

Orange county has canceled all games through Friday.  Football games will be made up Monday

I get the concept that if you don't have school, you can't practice and if you can't practice, you can't play a game.  That said, I have a question for those who may be coaching or have coached in the past:   (A)  would you rather have one day (possibly two days) of practice this week with a game Friday night or Saturday or, alternatively, (B)  would you rather play a game on Monday and turn around and play another game on Friday?   

3 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I get the concept that if you don't have school, you can't practice and if you can't practice, you can't play a game.  That said, I have a question for those who may be coaching or have coached in the past:   (A)  would you rather have one day (possibly two days) of practice this week with a game Friday night or Saturday or, alternatively, (B)  would you rather play a game on Monday and turn around and play another game on Friday?   

First one because with that you can still properly rest heal & game plan for next week vs playing monday & have to turn around & play fri

26 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Depends who I was playing and who I was playing the next week.  For example Seminole Coach is playing Lyman this week and Deland next week.  He wants to play Lyman on Saturday and not Monday so he has time to prepare for Deland and his players are rested as can be.  Deland game this week got canceled and isn't being made up.  So if Seminole plays Lyman on Monday they will be at a disadvantage against Deland for sure.  I bet if it was the other way around and Seminole was playing Deland this week and Lyman next the Seminole coach would want to play on Monday to get time to prepare.

If you are playing a team that runs a scheme you don't see much, having one or two days of practice really hurts you.

So I can't answer that question unless I know what teams I'm playing.

There are a couple issues.  Most schools are used as public shelters; thus, they have to be specially cleaned and sanitized before letting students back in.  In fact, even the locker rooms (with equipment etc...) are not even accessible during these times.  Then, many families  evacuated Florida completely to ride out the storm.  Some of these people are stuck where they evacuated to....because getting back into Florida is difficult right now.  Its a big mess..but believe me, we want to play ball.  

11 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If it is not, then this would be my default game Friday, then.

My grandson plays for BM and as of noon today the kids have not been advised the game has been cancelled. Archbishop Spalding was supposed to have arrived in Orlando on Monday. BM practiced Monday and will again this afternoon. I'll keep you posted. 

Just now, HornetFan said:

My grandson plays for BM and as of noon today the kids have not been advised the game has been cancelled. Archbishop Spalding was supposed to have arrived in Orlando on Monday. BM practiced Monday and will again this afternoon. I'll keep you posted. 

They are still playing.  If they were not a big underdog I would attend.  I also saw BM vs Edgewater.  Considering other games at the moment

17 hours ago, badbird said:

I don't either.  I might head west but it appears Tampa has also canceled all public school games on Friday.

If you want to head just a little further West (probably about 20 minutes from say Plant) and maybe see some water :D Pinellas county has not cancelled their games.   There are a few interesting matchups but not a lot

Jesuit @ Clearwater (2-0 vs 1-1 and complete contrast of styles and cultures)

Tampa Catholic @ CCC (CCC is O-2 but I think they are a good playoff team still)

Largo @ Pinellas Park (this game looked a lot better before PPark got blasted 40-0 by Lakewood but if you like defensive low scoring clock moving games this is the one.)

That is about it all the rest will be either blowouts or highly uninteresting