IMG @ MNW

Proseteye

I don't know whether MNW just had an off night or whether IMG is just that much better. MNW looked terrible. Certainly didn't look like a top Florida team or even a regular Florida team. Their offense was out to lunch. Their defense was somewhat better. That being said, IMG didn't look like a world beater either. I think they should give their backup QB a chance as their starter was anything but spectacular. I don't know whether it was just that IMG was playing a supposedly top Florida team or whether IMG is just not quite as good as previous years. But neither of these teams looked anything but ordinary IMHO. And, what is it with these Refs? Are they getting paid by the flag thrown or what? Seemed like every other play and sometimes every play that they were flagging something or somebody. Made watching this game very irritating. I know that MNW is really a very good team and will probably go on to win the rest of their games including probably the championship game. I also know that IMG is a nationally ranked team and will probably go on to win all or most of their games. But, last night they could have fooled me. :unsure:

IMG will lose 2 games. Mater Dei and St. Frances... NW defense is very good and and regular school here in Florida might not score against them. Offense needs work. Especially starting the right QB.. IMG never drove the field and scored their tds. Pick 6, kickoff return, block punt inside 5 yard line, a number of penalties and 4 turnovers and you lose 24 to 7. Not really mad at this game considering the opponent frustrated by the penalties and qb carousel. 

3 hours ago, topnotch305 said:

IMG will lose 2 games. Mater Dei and St. Frances... NW defense is very good and and regular school here in Florida might not score against them. Offense needs work. Especially starting the right QB.. IMG never drove the field and scored their tds. Pick 6, kickoff return, block punt inside 5 yard line, a number of penalties and 4 turnovers and you lose 24 to 7. Not really mad at this game considering the opponent frustrated by the penalties and qb carousel. 

True. However, MNW being one of the top 3 teams in Florida could only manage one score against an IMG team that looked anything but spectacular. The IMG QB is just not good. For what it's worth IMG did win the game by two TDs and a FG. The win was because MNW was not good enough to avoid costly mistakes. You may be right about 2 games. But, until I see it I will have my reservations. IMG always seems to come through against any type of team on their schedule year in and year out.

6 hours ago, Legion37 said:

I don't see Mater Dei on their schedule.

How many regular high schools have a set of options to see a game like this... a hotel and a spa for your weekend game visit.

https://www.imgacademy.com/2019-football-schedule

Your right I saw them on there before season on maxpreps. But as we know that site it's not always accurate especially before the season starts. 

5 hours ago, Proseteye said:

True. However, MNW being one of the top 3 teams in Florida could only manage one score against an IMG team that looked anything but spectacular. The IMG QB is just not good. For what it's worth IMG did win the game by two TDs and a FG. The win was because MNW was not good enough to avoid costly mistakes. You may be right about 2 games. But, until I see it I will have my reservations. IMG always seems to come through against any type of team on their schedule year in and year out.

Hello NW has a defense! Only offensive td IMG had was from 3 yards out after a block punt. And no IMG is not the same team from last 2 years however they are still a really gooff team. And I feel comfortable saying St Frances will beat them. And like I said we play the freshman qb earlier and better play calling in the red zone game might've been closer than 17 points. U are the only one who comes on here with a novel every year about IMG and NW lol. NW fans just want right QB in to put up points and we will be fine. How are the Celtics doing this year? How do you feel they would match up against NW?

29 minutes ago, topnotch305 said:

Hello NW has a defense! Only offensive td IMG had was from 3 yards out after a block punt. And no IMG is not the same team from last 2 years however they are still a really gooff team. And I feel comfortable saying St Frances will beat them. And like I said we play the freshman qb earlier and better play calling in the red zone game might've been closer than 17 points. U are the only one who comes on here with a novel every year about IMG and NW lol. NW fans just want right QB in to put up points and we will be fine. How are the Celtics doing this year? How do you feel they would match up against NW?

Honestly didn't feel IMG last year was all that special

2016 and 2017 were great IMG teams but last year and this year aren't as good as those teams

9 hours ago, topnotch305 said:

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Just have a little more faith in IMG than most people as they have the coaching that is able to adapt from game to game. They will correct and adjust before they travel to play St. Joseph.

My Celtics are doing pretty well. 3-0 against one 7A , one 5A, and one 3A team, although all 3 teams are not world beaters. Unfortunately they are nowhere near the great teams we used to have. Getting there but not there yet. Our team is still heavy on Freshman and Sophomores but we have a very good HC and assistants. We will see what they are made of next Friday when they travel to undefeated South Sumter. And no, we would not match up well against MNW especially if played in south Florida. :(

15 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Honestly didn't feel IMG last year was all that special

2016 and 2017 were great IMG teams but last year and this year aren't as good as those teams

Any year they had Trey Saunders they were special. And the year before with Bookie Radley Hiles on defense. They were definitely better last 2 years. 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, Proseteye said:

I don't know whether MNW just had an off night or whether IMG is just that much better. MNW looked terrible. Certainly didn't look like a top Florida team or even a regular Florida team. Their offense was out to lunch. Their defense was somewhat better. That being said, IMG didn't look like a world beater either. I think they should give their backup QB a chance as their starter was anything but spectacular. I don't know whether it was just that IMG was playing a supposedly top Florida team or whether IMG is just not quite as good as previous years. But neither of these teams looked anything but ordinary IMHO. And, what is it with these Refs? Are they getting paid by the flag thrown or what? Seemed like every other play and sometimes every play that they were flagging something or somebody. Made watching this game very irritating. I know that MNW is really a very good team and will probably go on to win the rest of their games including probably the championship game. I also know that IMG is a nationally ranked team and will probably go on to win all or most of their games. But, last night they could have fooled me. :unsure:

Proseteye, what types of fouls were most frequently called by the officials in this game?  

3 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Proseteye, what types of fouls were most frequently called by the officials in this game?  

Pretty much every type, Jambun. However, primarily Chop Blocks, Holding, and Personal Fouls. Just seemed like every other play there were flags thrown. Possibly these two teams are not that disciplined and the penalties were more prevalent because of it. Maybe the Refs wanted to keep the game civilized. Can't really blame them. Delay of game, offside, and motion penalties should be taken with a grain of salt as these are not college or professional teams. Some leeway should be given. Otherwise the game grinds to a halt, IMO. Another thing to consider, especially in the extreme heat of south Florida, is that every flag that is thrown forces the players to redo plays. Takes a lot of effort just to play a normal game. When you get multiple flags being thrown that doubles the amount of plays to set up and execute. I sometimes believe that some refs are glory seekers who want as much recognition as the players. The game should be about the players and not the refs.

30 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Pretty much every type, Jambun. However, primarily Chop Blocks, Holding, and Personal Fouls. Just seemed like every other play there were flags thrown. Possibly these two teams are not that disciplined and the penalties were more prevalent because of it. Maybe the Refs wanted to keep the game civilized. Can't really blame them. Delay of game, offside, and motion penalties should be taken with a grain of salt as these are not college or professional teams. Some leeway should be given. Otherwise the game grinds to a halt, IMO. Another thing to consider, especially in the extreme heat of south Florida, is that every flag that is thrown forces the players to redo plays. Takes a lot of effort just to play a normal game. When you get multiple flags being thrown that doubles the amount of plays to set up and execute. I sometimes believe that some refs are glory seekers who want as much recognition as the players. The game should be about the players and not the refs.

Holding, if the foul is not at the point-of-attack, motion, and delay of game fouls can be judgment calls. However, Personal Fouls, Chop Blocks, and Offside, if the foul is encroachment,  are NOT judgment calls. These type of fouls are Player Safety fouls, and need to be called regardless of the score or status of the game. No official however should be looking to be seen or noticed. This game is about the players only. Not the officials or the coaches.

8 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Holding, if the foul is not at the point-of-attack, motion, and delay of game fouls can be judgment calls. However, Personal Fouls, Chop Blocks, and Offside, if the foul is encroachment,  are NOT judgment calls. These type of fouls are Player Safety fouls, and need to be called regardless of the score or status of the game. No official however should be looking to be seen or noticed. This game is about the players only. Not the officials or the coaches.

Hey I have a question about a situation that came up in our game

We were attempting a XP our holder got up with the ball as if it was a fake then went back to a knee for the kicker to kick the ball but wouldn't that have ruled the play dead since he got up with the ball then took a knee?

28 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

We were attempting a XP our holder got up with the ball as if it was a fake then went back to a knee for the kicker to kick the ball but wouldn't that have ruled the play dead since he got up with the ball then took a knee?

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the holder can lift up off the knee to catch an errant/high snap so long as they immediately return to a position with the knee on the ground without being considered "down."  However, if the snap is a good one and the holder voluntarily rises up off the knee and then returns the knee to the ground, the play should be blown dead (just like any other play in which an offensive player with the ball has his knee touch the ground).   Judgment call on the snap and judgment call on whether the holder immediately returned to knee-on-the-ground holding position.   In my opinion, if the holder comes off his knee with the ball (or receives the ball with his knee off the ground) and does anything other than go straight (back) down to the holding position, the player is down and the play should be blown dead.  

All that having been said, I'm actually quite surprised that a holder had time to rise up, give the impression that it was a fake kick, return to the holding position and still get the kick off.  What would be the point in faking a fake? 

13 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

If the snap was a little high, the holder has some leeway to take his knee off the ground to retrieve the ball, and then get back on his knee to place the ball for the kicker. If the snap is normal, and the holder fumbles the ball, and gets off his knee, then the play would be dead immediately if the holder put his knee back on the ground.