5 Teams off to Surprising Starts

OldSchoolLion

11 hours ago, Perspective said:

For what it's worth, it is my understanding that the "ball was uncatchable" is a determination that precludes a pass interference call at the college and pro level, but not at the high school level.  In high school, even if the ball is thrown 50 feet over the receiver's head, if there is contact by the defender when the ball is in the air, it's still considered pass interference. 

Jambun, correct me if I'm wrong. 

Perspective, no need to correct you. You are right.

10 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

@Jambun82 Ik your the resident official here so you probably know the mindset of an official more than I would but personally I would feel if it's a play that would potentially decide who wins/losses the game that most officials would tend to let any judgement call go by unless the penalty altered the result of the play (ik player safety calls are a different story) 

Meaning that if something like holding or PI happened away from the play and had no effect on it then it would be a call the officials would usually ignore which makes sense

Then again different crews will call the same things differently but maybe you can explain what the officials and taught or encouraged to do in those situations

Purple and Gold Tiger Stripes man, I would agree with your statement. The non-player safety foul away from the point-of-attack would not be ignored, but that foul would probably not be penalized either. Possibly, a warning to the player committing the foul to be careful.  

3 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Hwy17, uncatchable is NOT a factor when determining a pass-interference foul in NFHS rules.  

What if the penalty is away from the play? Just curious.  We missed a tackle on the next play which is how they scored the game winning touchdown. We got the ball back with 6 seconds and tried the hook and lateral but it didn't work.  But it was a big confidence boost in that we out played Lake Gibson most of the game.

5 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

What if the penalty is away from the play? Just curious.  We missed a tackle on the next play which is how they scored the game winning touchdown. We got the ball back with 6 seconds and tried the hook and lateral but it didn't work.  But it was a big confidence boost in that we out played Lake Gibson most of the game.

Hwy17, if a pass interference foul is away from the play, it might be a personal foul but is usually not pass interference. Again, it depends on the judgment of the official.  

1 minute ago, Jambun82 said:

Hwy17, if a pass interference foul is away from the play, it might be a personal foul but is usually not pass interference. Again, it depends on the judgment of the official.  

In terms of judgement how often do we see PI calls away from the play that late in the game? I would have to think most officials will let the game play out and avoid throwing a flag on a PI call in that situation if it has no impact on the play 

18 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

In terms of judgement how often do we see PI calls away from the play that late in the game? I would have to think most officials will let the game play out and avoid throwing a flag on a PI call in that situation if it has no impact on the play 

Not very often. Yes, I would agree.  

While I understand the desire to be somewhat critical of the ref for calling the penalty on the contact away from the play, the question should probably be asked as to why the DB was making noticeable contact with a WR when the ball had been thrown to the other side of the field.   I'm not sure it matters whether they called PI or a personal foul (hitting a defenseless player?), I think the result would be the same:  15 yard penalty.   Each time you ask the question as to whether the ref should be making a call on contact away from the play late in the game, rephrase the question and ask whether the defensive player should have been popping an offensive player that wasn't involved in the play. 

6 minutes ago, Perspective said:

While I understand the desire to be somewhat critical of the ref for calling the penalty on the contact away from the play, the question should probably be asked as to why the DB was making noticeable contact with a WR when the ball had been thrown to the other side of the field.   I'm not sure it matters whether they called PI or a personal foul (hitting a defenseless player?), I think the result would be the same:  15 yard penalty.   Each time you ask the question as to whether the ref should be making a call on contact away from the play late in the game, rephrase the question and ask whether the defensive player should have been popping an offensive player that wasn't involved in the play. 

It's easy to say that someone watching from the sideline or the stands and think "why is the defender making contact on a player when play is across the field?" but on the field you may not in that moment know that, you are just trying to cover the reciever and focusing on the guy you guarding so they may not realize the play has moved away from that side when they make that contact

My point being is while i understand what you saying it's easy to watch the entire field when you aren't on it, when you are playing your focus should be on your assignment so if it's man to man you focus on your player your supposed to guard

6A Lake Gibson moves to 7-0 after crushing Gateway.  Next up is winless Liberty.

6A Pensacola Washington moves to 7-0 with 31-12 win over Fort Walton Beach.   Next up is 1-6 Tate.

6A Dixie Hollins moves to 6-1 with win over St Pete.  Next up is Lakewood Ranch.

5A Citrus moves to 8-0 after beating Hernando 7-3. Next up is Nature Coast Tech.

6A Lake Gibson moves to 8-0 after crushing Liberty.  Next up is 3-5 Bayside.

6A Pensacola Washington moves to 8-0 with 51-31 win over Tate.  Next up is 7-0 Escambia.

6A Dixie Hollins drops to 6-2 with 13-6 loss to Lakewood Ranch.  Next up is 6-2 Boca Ciega.

5A Citrus drops to 8-1 after losing to Nature Coast Tech.  Next up is 4-5 Crystal River.

8A Riverview moves to 8-2 with 28-21 win over Lennard.  Regular season is over.  Went 3-7 last season.

6A Lake Gibson moves to 9-0 with 33-3 win over Bayside.  Next up is 7-2 Winter Haven.  LG wins 6A District 9.

6A Pensacola Washington drops to 8-1 with 50-7 loss to Escambia.  Regular season is over.  Went 0-10 last season.

6A Dixie Hollins moves to 7-2 with 27-26 win over Boca Ciega.  Next up is 1-8 Tarpon Springs.

5A Citrus moves to 9-1 with 20-14 win over Crystal River.  Regular season is over.  Went 4-6 last season.