The Gap Between Haves & Have Nots Widens

OldSchoolLion

St Thomas was up 48-0 on South Plantation at halftime.  SPL has gone (0-10) 2 of the last 3 seasons and is now 0-17 historically (FHSAA) against STA.  This was a 7A district matchup.  In another district matchup in Broward County, 6A Dillard was up 42-0 against Northeast before the latter threw in the white towel.  NE has won only 4 games in the past 6 seasons.

In the meantime, 2 Ohio private school powerhouses (Archbishop Hoban and St Ignatius) battled it out last night for the third season in a row, St Ignatius  coming out on top 42-41... in what must have been a thrilling game.  Interestingly, AH is coached by former Chaminade-Madonna coach Tim Tyrrel.    These two teams are in different divisions, but play each other.  It would be the equivalent of a St Thomas Aquinas versus Chaminade-Madonna matchup...a game that has not happened in decades.  Why can OH or DC get private school powerhouses routinely playing each other, but not FL?  

Blowouts are happening all over the country.  Although FL is getting better at featuring powerhouses playing each other, I would challenge that we are still behind other states in terms of competitive scheduling, and the mismatches we are seeing are as ridiculous as anywhere else in the country.  I could be wrong, but can anyone imagine anything worse than a St Thomas vs S Plantation matchup?

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

St Thomas was up 48-0 on South Plantation at halftime.  SPL has gone (0-10) 2 of the last 3 seasons and is now 0-17 historically (FHSAA) against STA.  This was a 7A district matchup.  In another district matchup in Broward County, 6A Dillard was up 42-0 against Northeast before the latter threw in the white towel.  NE has won only 4 games in the past 6 seasons.

In the meantime, 2 Ohio private school powerhouses (Archbishop Hoban and St Ignatius) battled it out last night for the third season in a row, St Ignatius  coming out on top 42-41... in what must have been a thrilling game.  Interestingly, AH is coached by former Chaminade-Madonna coach Tim Tyrrel.    These two teams are in different divisions, but play each other.  It would be the equivalent of a St Thomas Aquinas versus Chaminade-Madonna matchup...a game that has not happened in decades.  Why can OH or DC get private school powerhouses routinely playing each other, but not FL?  

Blowouts are happening all over the country.  Although FL is getting better at featuring powerhouses playing each other, I would challenge that we are still behind other states in terms of competitive scheduling, and the mismatches we are seeing are as ridiculous as anywhere else in the country.  I could be wrong, but can anyone imagine anything worse than a St Thomas vs S Plantation matchup?

Lmao until they put all those teams independent and in their own leauge your gonna have those games especially if their your district game no dodging that.

2 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

It would be the equivalent of a St Thomas Aquinas versus Chaminade-Madonna matchup...a game that has not happened in decades.  Why can OH or DC get private school powerhouses routinely playing each other, but not FL?  

This is 100% on STA. Chaminade-Madonna has wanted to play STA since Jason Milgrom rebuilt Chaminade to the point they've been told to tone it down by the ADOM which STA is a part of and C-M is a contributing member of (due to being sponsored by a religious community). 

As a result of the numerous requests was that starting in 2019 Chaminade and STA would start playing each other in JV.   Granted it's JV and not indicative of varsity, but Chaminade ran STA off the field with homegrown talent- very few transfers on JV for Chaminade.  They actually play a second JV game later this year.

I'm told that to get on STA's  varsity schedule is usually something that needs to be done 3-5 years in advance due to the way their specific scheduling setup works.  Even if it was a preseason or spring game it would be a start. 

If Chaminade wins 3A in 2019 and upsets JaxTCA in the process to win their 3rd consecutive 3A state championship, STA will no longer be able to ignore "little" Chaminade and more people will start calling them out to play Chaminade.

Look who these Maxpreps top-ranked teams play with... 

Mater Dei (CA) -Trinity League (with St John Bosco, Serra Catholic, Servite, Santa Margarita, Orange Lutheran)

St John's (DC) - Washington Catholic League (with Dematha, Gonzaga, Our Lady of Good Counsel, Bishop McNamara)

Gonzaga (DC) - Washington Catholic League

St Joseph's (PA) -Philadelphia Catholic League (with 5 other private schools)

Archbishop Hoban (OH) - North Coast League (with 5 other private schools)

St Joseph (NJ) - North Jersey Super League (with St Peters, Bergen Catholic, Paramus Catholic, Don Bosco)

St. Joseph (NJ) and those 4 teams are relatively the same size. Additionally, they weren't always in their own conference, they played the large public schools in the area as part of their conference until the public schools all complained to the point those schools got placed in their own conference. Additionally, while NJ does use conferences, the conferences don't determine who gets in the playoffs. All 5 of those teams can play each other and still all end up in the playoffs.