When do you go for 2?

gatorman-uf

Some people were saying Mullen shouldn't have gone for 2 so early in the 4th and if he hadn't then the worse the Kentucky FG would have been is a tie if the Gators had just kicked the 2 extra points. 
Today, Doug Marrone (Jax) has a chance to tie the game with an extra point and decides to go for 2 and misses. 

I truly believe that Mullen made the right call, even early in the 4th. His offense hadn't done much all game, his defense was playing ok, but not lights out and who knows what was going to happen with your back-up QB in. I look at the decision to go for 2 as the right decision even if they didn't get it.

Marrone, on the hand, went with the idea win on the road, tie at home. I get it, but as a coach, you gotta see a bigger picture. Your team is 0-1, has lost it's starting QB for half the season at least, you are coming a dreadful season, you have had a shouting match on the sidelines with a star CB, you gotta play to not lose. I don't get the decision here and I am usually on the 4th and short, go for it. 2 point conversion, go for it, but overall whether Fournette makes it or not, I don't like the call. 

When should coaches go for two? (Any level)

16 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Some people were saying Mullen shouldn't have gone for 2 so early in the 4th and if he hadn't then the worse the Kentucky FG would have been is a tie if the Gators had just kicked the 2 extra points. 
Today, Doug Marrone (Jax) has a chance to tie the game with an extra point and decides to go for 2 and misses. 

I truly believe that Mullen made the right call, even early in the 4th. His offense hadn't done much all game, his defense was playing ok, but not lights out and who knows what was going to happen with your back-up QB in. I look at the decision to go for 2 as the right decision even if they didn't get it.

Marrone, on the hand, went with the idea win on the road, tie at home. I get it, but as a coach, you gotta see a bigger picture. Your team is 0-1, has lost it's starting QB for half the season at least, you are coming a dreadful season, you have had a shouting match on the sidelines with a star CB, you gotta play to not lose. I don't get the decision here and I am usually on the 4th and short, go for it. 2 point conversion, go for it, but overall whether Fournette makes it or not, I don't like the call. 

When should coaches go for two? (Any level)

This is probably what i would call a loaded question because in all honesty it depends on a lot of factors

In the general sense though and from my experience (both as a volunteer/fan/media at Columbia) I'm used to seeing Coach Allen being very aggressive with these type of play calls as they go for 2pts many times when situations come up and we probably go for it on 4th down at least 3 or 4 times a game and more times then not it works out

Even when we fail to pick it up I can understand why we did it and normally feel it's the right call, I feel that the more aggressive the play calling the more pressure you place on your opponent and because of that I feel in most cases that going for it on 4th down or 2pt conversions are generally a good move to make but like stated above it's not whether going aggressive is right decision, it's about do you make the right play call for that play

As long as the coach has a good play in place for those situations that generally works I think it is the right move 

I was a JV Head Coach for a long time and I would go for two every time we scored for the sheer fact that we didn't have kids who could field goal block or a kid who could consistently kick. On our varsity team, we run a swinging gate so the defense dictates how we attack them.

My personal philosophy is to go for two with your regular offense as often as possible. But, that's just me...

1 minute ago, Coach said:

I was a JV Head Coach for a long time and I would go for two every time we scored for the sheer fact that we didn't have kids who could field goal block or a kid who could consistently kick. On our varsity team, we run a swinging gate so the defense dictates how we attack them.

My personal philosophy is to go for two with your regular offense as often as possible. But, that's just me...

I do think there are some teams (mostly middle school or high school level) who will go for 2 simply because they don't have someone who can kick even a XP 

Sometimes that's just the hand some teams are given

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I do think there are some teams (mostly middle school or high school level) who will go for 2 simply because they don't have someone who can kick even a XP 

Sometimes that's just the hand some teams are given

Totally. I've always pulled double duty as JV HC and a Varsity assistant and I'm the one who advocates going for two. Maybe I'm just too aggressive but I think it puts other teams in a bind, especially if you're good near the goal line, because it changes the way they have to call plays. Plus, if you go 1/2 you still have 14 points.At least that's how I look at it. 

The video is a couple of years old at this point, but my buddies and I have watched it as instinctive of what a coach should generally do on 4th down. It is also the reason why I loved watching Georgia Tech and Paul Johnson's triple option because of how aggressive he was in trying for it on 4th down (except last year). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbgqKHxzTfU

A good example of a lack of aggressiveness in hurting the team was the PItt-Penn State game. Pitt on the 1 yard line decides to kick the FG rather than try a 4th attempt from the 1 yard line. The kicker misses the kick and Pitt never really recovers. Pitt was down 7 at the time with 5 minutes left. 

Interestingly, Denver went for 2 when they were down 1 at home with 30 seconds left and got it and Chicago drove 40 yards in 31 seconds to allow former Gator Eddie Pineiro to hit the game winning 53 yard field goal. 

15 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

The video is a couple of years old at this point, but my buddies and I have watched it as instinctive of what a coach should generally do on 4th down. It is also the reason why I loved watching Georgia Tech and Paul Johnson's triple option because of how aggressive he was in trying for it on 4th down (except last year). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbgqKHxzTfU

A good example of a lack of aggressiveness in hurting the team was the PItt-Penn State game. Pitt on the 1 yard line decides to kick the FG rather than try a 4th attempt from the 1 yard line. The kicker misses the kick and Pitt never really recovers. Pitt was down 7 at the time with 5 minutes left. 

Interestingly, Denver went for 2 when they were down 1 at home with 30 seconds left and got it and Chicago drove 40 yards in 31 seconds to allow former Gator Eddie Pineiro to hit the game winning 53 yard field goal. 

I was happy to see Eddie hit the game winner, but that roughing the passer call that gave the Bears 15 yards on their final drive??? Ugghh!   Horrible call in my opinion. 

The High School Football Coach Who Never Punts

Pulaski Academy football coach Kevin Kelley never punts. He always kicks on-side. His teams play … weirdly. Now the Arkansas squad is going back to Dallas to face its rival, Highland Park, a team that has won 84 games in a row at home and outplayed Pulaski Academy last year. Will Kelley’s data-driven plays lead to the win? The latest film in FiveThirtyEight and ESPN Films’ short-documentary series Collectors, “Undefeated,” directed by Jamie Schutz, follows Pulaski as the team adds a new wrinkle to its playbook and tries to end Highland Park’s streak.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-high-school-football-coach-who-never-punts/