Why UCF isn't 2017 National Champions Excuse thread.

Cat_Scratch

3 hours ago, Zoe Boy said:

As a canes fan I think UCF should join another conference or schedule more power top 5 teams on there schedule.. IDK how much they can schedule a year with their conference schedule but if it’s 4 open space shoot play a team from each power 5 conference. 2 away and 2 home and that probably can get them over the hump to the playoffs... Start with scheduling Miami or FSU in the ACC and UF in the SEC .. yall did schedule Stanford which was a good win and somebody in the big 12...

That would require UCF actually being presented a offer to join a power 5 conference

None these power 5 conferences seem interested in expansion (probably at the request of Mark Emmett, the biggest fraud in colligate sports)

54 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

What I can't understand why Clemson, who lost to a 4-9 Syracuse team that year, got to play Alabama in the Sugar bowl.  UCF was more deserving. 

Clemson won the ACC

bigger question was did bama who didn't even play for the SEC Championship was able to get in when the team who beat them immediately dropped the next game

What did bama do while sitting on their butt at home to justify going higher in the rankings?

3 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

UCF was the Colley-Matrix algorithm Champs, and that’s It. 

And if there is no true national championship game then no one can win it. So UCF can’t be the champs because supposedly there is no such game to define them as champs. Lmao!!

Man, you are horrendously uneducated when it comes to College Football. Colley is an NCAA Major Selector; which means no matter how much you, or anyone else, cries about it, UCF are 2017 National Champs.

RE: UCF needing to schedule harder

It all falls on the UCF AD who is .... well, let's just say he's different than his peers. 

UF made a very generous offer for a series, but UCF's AD declined because it was a 2-for-1 deal. (UCF's counter-proposals of a home-and-home or a home-home-neutral caused UF to essentially laugh at UCF for the proposal.) 

UF turned around and made a 2-for-1 deal with USF, which caused UCF's AD to slam USF. 

32 minutes ago, SportsNut25 said:

It all falls on the UCF AD who is .... well, let's just say he's different than his peers. 

UF made a very generous offer for a series, but UCF's AD declined because it was a 2-for-1 deal. (UCF's counter-proposals of a home-and-home or a home-home-neutral caused UF to essentially laugh at UCF for the proposal.) 

UF turned around and made a 2-for-1 deal with USF, which caused UCF's AD to slam USF. 

Why would a team who averages 85,000 per home game schedule a home and home with a team who averages half that? 

UCF hasn’t earned home and homes with tradition football powers. They aren’t even in a power conference. 

All this false bravado from beating scrubs is hilarious. 

59 minutes ago, SportsNut25 said:

UF never made an offer to UCF. The UF AD said he would consider a 2-0-1 with UCF and UCF countered with 3 different ways to play games.

25 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Why would a team who averages 85,000 per home game schedule a home and home with a team who averages half that? 

UCF hasn’t earned home and homes with tradition football powers. They aren’t even in a power conference. 

You do realize that UF plays in conference against teams with smaller stadiums right?

My thoughts on this subject:

There was a time in college football history where bowl games and polls determined the so-called national champion.  As a result, there were years where there was a consensus number 1 team (i.e., "The national champion") and there were years where the polls were not in agreement (resulting in teams sharing the 'mythical' national championship).   However, over the last several years, the NCAA has used either a two or a four team playoff system to determine football's 'national champion.' 

In every other college team sport that I'm aware of, only one national champion is crowned at the end of the season.  Basketball - one.  Baseball - one.  Lacrosse - one.  Golf - one.  Softball - one.  Etc.  Football should be no different. 

UCF has had a couple of incredible seasons and is deserving of praise and acclamation.  However, because they have not participated in the national championship playoff series (through no fault of their own), they cannot rightfully call themselves "national champions."  To do so is disrespectful to the team(s) who rightfully earned that title.  If they finish first in a particular poll or based on a particular algorithm, they can say that.  But, in my opinion, and unlike decades past, that does not make them the "national champion." 

As a long-time Florida fan, it pains me somewhat to say it, but UCF probably has the best team in the state right now and that's probably been the case over the last two or three years.   If the game were played at a neutral site, I'm guessing UCF would be favored over every other team in the state of Florida with the possible exception of the Gators, and I can't see either of those two teams being favored by more than a field goal against the other. 

From a pure economic standpoint, it does not make sense for a P5 team like Florida to schedule a home-and-home with a Group of 5 team like UCF -- especially when the P5 team has little to gain and a lot to lose even if they beat the G5 team, which they should be expected to do.  Is this fair?  Is this right?  Probably not.  But it's the reality right now, especially when you consider the money it takes to fund the other, non-revenue generating athletic programs. 

The only way for a team like UCF or USF to break this historic stranglehold that the P5 teams have is to agree to play them on a 2 for 1 basis and hope they can get the win at home and at least one of the road wins. 

Last point (for now, at least), I can understand why UCF fans might make the argument that there's a bias in the coaches poll.  But, I don't understand how they make that argument with respect to the AP poll.  Sportswriters are generally regarded as some of the most independent people when it comes to voting and I just don't see how any Group of 5 team can claim that there's any sort of systemic bias in that poll. 

Ok.  That's my two cents. 

16 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Are you implying that there is more than one championship game? 

I'm saying there was no national championship game; there was a Power 5 Invitational Game. You can't claim a National Championship unless you're willing to play everyone on even terms. Your top Power 5 teams do not want to play UCF on even terms; they claim to want 2 for 1 and their officials at all 3 games. You don't stack the deck if you're so sure that your the best. Still, none of the top Power 5 teams have approached UCF for a game.

16 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

UCF and USF have different needs and clearly different status when it comes to their quality of play. UCF cannot afford to reduce their number of home games because of the revenue they generate from selling out their stadium for home games. USF plays in Raymond James Stadium in Tampa; they receive none of the revenue from the game and that includes concession and parking revenue. UF fans at Raymond James would outnumber USF fans, thereby negating USF homefireld advantage. At UCF, UF would get some seats in NE corner of endzone. UF also has option to buy out USF home game, so if USF by some miracle becomes competitive, UF can buy out. Danny White's counter-proposal of home-home-neutral as a fair and balanced offer, something UF didn't want, may have laughed at, but would never accept. If UF is that superior, why not put UCF in their place by beating them on the field? UF would rather play the UT-Martins of the world.

16 hours ago, SportsNut25 said:

UCF never offered a home game to UCF

They offered 2 years in Gainesville and a neutral site game

Explain to me how that is a fair offer?

16 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Vanderbilt Stadium holds 40,550 fans; they have never been a traditional football power; and, are only in a Power 5 conference because of longevity. Yet, UF plays them every year. 

Per your statement, "All this false bravado from beating scrubs is hilarious", which team had to play a Division II team recently to become bowl eligible? I believe you know the answer. Hint: rhymes with nolebull. 

43 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

UCF is overrated and always has been. They knew what they were doing when they turned down Florida. They wanted to protect the myth. Garbage Pitt exposed them and now I’m glad I won’t have to hear bitching they belong for the rest of the year. 

Enjoy the Little Cesar’s Bowl against Toledo. LMAO!!!

When was there an official offer that UCF supposedly turned down? And "garbage Pitt" that played PSU to a 7pt loss that they probably should have gone at least to OT with if Narduzzi isnt a moron.

UCF is still in the top 25 and still in the run for a NY6 Bowl. Have fun listening to your own bitching when UCF is still good this year and for years to come. Your salt over UCF is hilarious.