Thoughts on Franks Being Out for the Year

Proseteye

Since Franks went down for the season on Saturday how do you think the Gators will do the rest of the season? Frank's replacement Trask looked pretty good and actually pulled out the game for Florida. Do you think Trask will be the starting QB here on in and are any of the other QB's on the roster as good? Myself, I never thought that Franks was that good of a QB and felt that the Gators could have done a lot better with someone else.  :unsure:

Hard to say at this point, because there also remains some serious issues along the OL that have negatively impacted the running game with or without Franks at the QB position. I've seen instances of poor technique as well as instances where it appears the OL is just flat out being beat from a physical standpoint. Gotta believe if Mullen felt Franks wasn't his best chance at winning games, Trask or Jones would already have been starting. So for me my concern isn't so much with who's starting at QB, but if the OL starts showing some significant improvement with its play? 

2 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Since Franks went down for the season on Saturday how do you think the Gators will do the rest of the season? Frank's replacement Trask looked pretty good and actually pulled out the game for Florida. Do you think Trask will be the starting QB here on in and are any of the other QB's on the roster as good? Myself, I never thought that Franks was that good of a QB and felt that the Gators could have done a lot better with someone else.  :unsure:

I think the Gators are fortunate they have Mullen as their Head Coach; the man is an excellent QB coach. I was never a big Franks fan, but I never want to see a kid seriously injured. I believe Trask will be successful because Mullen will limit the risks he is willing to take. In my opinion, other than Trask, their QB options are weak, not so much on talent, but on experience..

Healthy Franks or not, I don't think the Gators are beating Auburn, LSU, or Georgia. I think the rest of the schedule looks manageable based on how Trask looked. I think a 9-3 record is reasonable. If the Gators can keep the game against the above 3 close and not be blown out (but still lose), I think I could accept that. A random loss to FSU or Missouri won't be the end of the world. 

I am also a person who enters the season with the idea that that Gators should only be 8-4 and if they don't meet that then I get upset otherwise I am fine. 

4 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Healthy Franks or not, I don't think the Gators are beating Auburn, LSU, or Georgia. I think the rest of the schedule looks manageable based on how Trask looked. I think a 9-3 record is reasonable. If the Gators can keep the game against the above 3 close and not be blown out (but still lose), I think I could accept that. A random loss to FSU or Missouri won't be the end of the world. 

I am also a person who enters the season with the idea that that Gators should only be 8-4 and if they don't meet that then I get upset otherwise I am fine. 

A loss to the Willie Noles this year would be a disaster. I wouldn't sell Trask short. He's been around 4 years and as long as Mullens doesn't put too much on him, he should be steady enough to lead the Gators. The rest of the team will probably step up their efforts and we may be pleasantly surprised.

Franks was too hot or cold, hit or miss. No way to fix that. He could use his legs though and that bought him a lot of extra plays. Not sure if him going down will set up Trask or whomever takes over the starting job. Never good to see a 2 year starter go down, but teams practice for these type injuries.

Trask came from a big football town and has seen a lot of pressure even as the Backup. He looked accurate with decent ball velocity. One or 2 errant throws that could have been disastrous had Ky D had better hands. All in all Trask showed some wisdom in pulling the ball in and advancing for several yards or throwing it away when trapped deep. For a backup, I think he did fine his first big SEC game. Working with the first team "all out" these coming practices will increases his playbook knowledge and game speed. He should get better. Play calling and OL work will be the big factor in big games.

It's a definite win if UF comes out of this season 9-3 with a News Years bowl game.