How does 1A-4A work As far as playoffs are concerned.

THIS_IS_DILLARD

1 minute ago, gatorman-uf said:

Just the RPI, maxpreps is showing their record against teams in their region, but those games don't count any more than any other game. 

So what qualifies them to make the playoffs if their is no district games. 

Lets use pahokee for ex they could possibly end up 1-8 or 2-7 but none of those games were against 1a competition.

The last two years, you would use the playoff point system. Now we use the RPI system, basically the top 4 or 6 teams (I forget) per region make the playoffs. It is why schools like Trinity Christian (Jax) or Chaminade-Madonna or Pahokee or Madison County don't have to play district games. None of the teams in their "districts" wanted to play them anyway, so the FHSAA allows smaller schools to make their own schedules completely. 

It is also the reason earlier this year, I warned that Pahokee could get Booker T Washingtoned in terms of scheduling so tough that they end up with not enough wins to make it.

It is also how a school like St. Joseph's makes the playoffs last year going 9-0 and facing nothing but extremely small schools and a schedule that makes cupcakes schedules look hard. Don't get me wrong, St. Joseph's would be in under almost any system, but reflecting on their schedule makes me think, I would rather choose a cupcake schedule than an impossible schedule. 

4 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

The last two years, you would use the playoff point system. Now we use the RPI system, basically the top 4 or 6 teams (I forget) per region make the playoffs. It is why schools like Trinity Christian (Jax) or Chaminade-Madonna or Pahokee or Madison County don't have to play district games. None of the teams in their "districts" wanted to play them anyway, so the FHSAA allows smaller schools to make their own schedules completely. 

It is also the reason earlier this year, I warned that Pahokee could get Booker T Washingtoned in terms of scheduling so tough that they end up with not enough wins to make it.

It is also how a school like St. Joseph's makes the playoffs last year going 9-0 and facing nothing but extremely small schools and a schedule that makes cupcakes schedules look hard. Don't get me wrong, St. Joseph's would be in under almost any system, but reflecting on their schedule makes me think, I would rather choose a cupcake schedule than an impossible schedule. 

So even with 5a-6a there is no longer a point system and the top 4 seeds or 6 teams are determined 1-6 by record aka wins ?? 

And the rest of the teams are put in byyyy??

Dillard, if I'm not mistaken, Classes 1-4 do not have districts.  They just have four regions and the top 6 teams in each region make the playoff (top teams and seeding determined by RPI).  For classes 5-8, there are four regions.  Within each region, there are four districts.  The four district champs are in the playoffs, seeded 1-4 per RPI.   The four best teams in each region (per RPI) also make the playoffs, and get seeded 5-8.  

If Dillard and Miami Central are in different districts, a team with one loss could indeed end up seeded higher than a team with no losses. 

Just now, Perspective said:

Dillard, if I'm not mistaken, Classes 1-4 do not have districts.  They just have four regions and the top 8 teams in each region make the playoff (top teams and seeding determined by RPI).  For classes 5-8, there are four regions.  Within each region, there are four districts.  The four district champs are in the playoffs, seeded 1-4 per RPI.   The four best teams in each region (per RPI) also make the playoffs, and get seeded 5-8.  

If Dillard and Miami Central are in different districts, a team with one loss could indeed end up seeded higher than a team with no losses. 

Yea dillard is in 6a-15 and miami central is in district 6A-16

3 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Yea dillard is in 6a-15 and miami central is in district 6A-16

So, they're in the same region.   And, it would be possible for a 9-1 MC team to have a higher RPI than a 10-0 Dillard team, based on the record of MC's opponents and MC's opponent's opponents versus the record of Dillard's opponents and Dillard's opponent's opponents.   MC could end up with the higher seed and, thus, home field advantage. 

2 minutes ago, Perspective said:

So, they're in the same region.   And, it would be possible for a 9-1 MC team to have a higher RPI than a 10-0 Dillard team, based on the record of MC's opponents and MC's opponent's opponents versus the record of Dillard's opponents and Dillard's opponent's opponents.   MC could end up with the higher seed and, thus, home field advantage. 

Hmmm interesting.

4 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

So even with 5a-6a there is no longer a point system and the top 4 seeds or 6 teams are determined 1-6 by record aka wins ?? 

And the rest of the teams are put in byyyy??

in 1A-4A, teams are divided into their regions. The top 6 teams in each region are determined by the RPI formula which takes into account 1) Winning Percentage
2) Opponent's Winning Percentage
3) Opponent's Opponent's Winning Percentage

The top 2 teams in each region are given a bye into the second round.
-----
In 5A-8A, teams are divided into regions and then further divided into districts.
District Champions will be seeded #1-4 based on the RPI formula discussed above. 
"Wildcard" teams will be seeded #5-8 will be based on the next 4 highest RPIs who are not district champions. 
#1 vs #8
#2 vs #7
#3 vs #6
#4 vs #5

The Orlando Sentinel printed a article today that addresses when RPI rankings will be released: "FHSAA football playoff power rankings still two weeks away". Initial rankings will be released following completion of Week 7 games in two weeks.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/os-sp-hs-fhsaa-football-20190923-2znwu7qf4bcthgbfiecyiunuz4-story.html

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

The Orlando Sentinel printed a article today that addresses when RPI rankings will be released: "FHSAA football playoff power rankings still two weeks away". Initial rankings will be released following completion of Week 7 games in two weeks.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/os-sp-hs-fhsaa-football-20190923-2znwu7qf4bcthgbfiecyiunuz4-story.html

Grumble Grumble Grumble

I get the reasoning and actually agree with the reasoning overall, as teams will be more set in where they are the later you release it, so you are less likely see a team go from 15th to 5th over the course of 4 weeks, but the first time you release the system the early the better so that watchful eyes can look it over. At least that is my opinion.

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

Grumble Grumble Grumble

I get the reasoning and actually agree with the reasoning overall, as teams will be more set in where they are the later you release it, so you are less likely see a team go from 15th to 5th over the course of 4 weeks, but the first time you release the system the early the better so that watchful eyes can look it over. At least that is my opinion.

I also agree that pushing the ratings out two weeks is the best course for FHSAA to take. When it finally comes out, every coach and rabid fan of a team with a prayer of sniffing the playoffs will be going through gyrations and calculations to determine the "what if's" for the remainder of the season. The later it comes out, it will be easier to narrow the focus down to fewer potential teams.