Dividing schools based on socioeconomics?

Perspective

8 hours ago, HornetFan said:

They are not baseless accusations. I know that the #1 ranked school in Central Florida recruits. I have spoken with several kids and a coach from a neighboring school that were approached by players from that #1 school. They were told that the coaches couldn't talk to them direct unless they inquired about a transfer. If a friend sets you up with a neighbor's wife or you approach her yourself, it's still cheating. 

If you know then name the kids and the coach! Otherwise it's hearsay, actually it's hearsay anyway, since you have no first hand knowledge. You really don't have anything to offer except sour grapes that the school system isn't how you wish it to be. 

12 hours ago, Legion37 said:

If you know then name the kids and the coach! Otherwise it's hearsay, actually it's hearsay anyway, since you have no first hand knowledge. You really don't have anything to offer except sour grapes that the school system isn't how you wish it to be. 

So am I believe that you're saying that no school recruits?

44 minutes ago, DB4 said:

So am I believe that you're saying that no school recruits?

No, I'm saying unless you have proof, real proof that a school is recruiting, then show that proof or send it to the proper authority but to accuse a program, over and over again, is simply useless noise and sour grapes.

Any dope can make accusations, doesn't make those accusations factual. 

Hornetfan has not offered any proof only that he has talked to someone, who knows someone...etc, etc...

Lakeland may be recruiting but not because Hornetfan says so.

On 9/26/2019 at 11:39 PM, skyway said:

They should stop pretending their ratings of schools are actually ratings of the quality of the teachers and administration. Lots of folks, like yourself it seems, actually think the ratings are actually indicative of the quality of instruction available. The only effect of the rating system is the richer schools whose parents are more educated and involved get richer, while the poorer schools get poorer.

On balance, your comment is ridiculous and appears to be a concession you don't have much more to offer to the discussion.

And the purpose of the transfer policy was to allow kids from those poorer schools to transfer to schools where their chance of academic success can be much greater. What is ridiculous is people like you selling football to these kids as their way to success. Less than one in a thousand make it to the NFL. Those that make it seldom last more than 2 or 3 seasons. Then, it's on to the real world where they are not prepared for much more than riding on the back of a garbage truck. And you justify it because you want your high school team to win championships; that's sad.

On 9/27/2019 at 5:30 AM, Legion37 said:

As I am not a high school football player, anything I relay on this board concerning this subject can be labeled "heresay" and would not be admissible in a court of law. Naming the kids and the coach on a public forum would be irresponsible on my part as an adult. The kids and coach did nothing wrong; the kids were approached by friends from the other school. Several of their friends transferred to that school.. Speaking with them, I believe is first-hand knowledge as I actually spoke to kids who were being recruited. I'm not trying to make this a legal argument; an ethical discussion should be sufficient. Apparently, you don't see it that way. 

33 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

And the purpose of the transfer policy was to allow kids from those poorer schools to transfer to schools where their chance of academic success can be much greater. What is ridiculous is people like you selling football to these kids as their way to success. Less than one in a thousand make it to the NFL. Those that make it seldom last more than 2 or 3 seasons. Then, it's on to the real world where they are not prepared for much more than riding on the back of a garbage truck. And you justify it because you want your high school team to win championships; that's sad.

Well, they might happen to think their chance of success in their pathway of interest in football (whether it is an ideal or appropriate pathway or not) is better at the other school.

You don't know shit about me. That you think I live in Florida, or work in high school athletics, is laughable. 

19 minutes ago, skyway said:

Well, they might happen to think their chance of success in their pathway of interest in football (whether it is an ideal or appropriate pathway or not) is better at the other school.

You don't know shit about me. That you think I live in Florida, or work in high school athletics, is laughable. 

I don't care where you live or if you work in high school athletics. I do think it's sad that you place more emphasis on success in high school athletics than preparing these kids for what lies beyond high school and college. Through the training that my grandsons have received regarding football and bodybuilding, I know several former great HS football players who played major college football and had short-lived careers in the NFL. Several are barely getting by as personal trainers; a couple have closed their training facilities because it's hard to succeed in that business. Most wish they had paid greater attention to their education and receiving meaningful degrees from college. They all now preach to the kids the importance of education, saying they wish they had prepared better for the future. 

On 9/28/2019 at 10:49 AM, HornetFan said:

As I am not a high school football player, anything I relay on this board concerning this subject can be labeled "heresay" and would not be admissible in a court of law. Naming the kids and the coach on a public forum would be irresponsible on my part as an adult. The kids and coach did nothing wrong; the kids were approached by friends from the other school. Several of their friends transferred to that school.. Speaking with them, I believe is first-hand knowledge as I actually spoke to kids who were being recruited. I'm not trying to make this a legal argument; an ethical discussion should be sufficient. Apparently, you don't see it that way. 

I won't get into the specifics, but you should all be aware that "hearsay evidence" is, as its title suggests, a form of evidence.  And while hearsay evidence typically is not admitted as evidence in a court of law, there are about two dozen or so exceptions to the hearsay rule whereby hearsay testimony does become admissible in a court proceeding. 

To my knowledge, the FHSAA is not bound by the Florida Rules of Evidence when it comes to investigations.  In other words, they can consider hearsay statements as part of their investigation.   That said, it is also my understanding that the FHSAA will not open or pursue investigations based on reports, tips, etc. from anyone other than a member institution.  In other words, if a player at some high school in Polk County not beginning with an "L" walks up to HornetFan and says "Hey, I just got a text from one of the assistant coaches/players at Lakeland telling me they need another outside linebacker and asking me if I'd be interested in transferring to Lakeland so I can play for a ring," HornetFan could not report that to the FHSAA.  Or, I guess he could report it, but FHSAA wouldn't do anything.  Similarly, the same would be true even if the recruited player brought the matter to the attention of the FHSAA.  The FHSAA would only take action if the school where the recruited player currently attends reports the matter to the FHSAA and even then, the FHSAA would then simply turn the matter back over to Polk County to do the investigation.    And, as I have pointed out before, there seems to be an "honor among thieves" mentality when it comes to coaches and schools in a district turning in other coaches and schools in that district.  No one wants the 'rat' label. 

If someone/anyone has knowledge or information contradictory to what I have written, please let me know.  But I'm not interested in how it was done 5 years ago, or what your neighbor's cousin who works at the school down the street told you.   Give me a reference to the football policy manual or an email or directive from the FHSAA setting forth their policies and procedures. 

By the way, HonetFan, I have respect for folks that don't use message boards like this to drag a kid's name through the mud.