Wekiva at Edgewater

DarterBlue2

Yes, DarterBlue actually went to this game and not APK vs Brantley. The hope was it would be more competitive. Well, despite sporting Wekiva a 14-0 lead and then a 21-7 lead (the first two Wekiva touchdowns were off Edgewater turnovers, a stripped catch and unforced fumble), Edgewater scored the final 45 points of the game to win comfortably. This Edgewater team compares favorably in terms of talent with the 2002-20004 teams which all made the title game. 

Next week against Marietta up in Georgia, I think they have a very good chance but cannot afford to spot them 14 like they did against Wekiva. Wekiva played its best but just did not have the talent. Last year's or for that matter the 2017 team, would have given this Edgewater team a good game. This year's team while decent, does not have the stellar defense that those other two team had. 

5 hours ago, skyway said:

I have this bad feeling Edgewater is going to get running-clocked at Marietta. Really hope I'm wrong!

I would be very surprised if Marietta running clocked Edgewater.

Edgewater is at least 21 points better (probably more) than last year's team that made the semis against Lakeland. Marietta is good, maybe very good, but not as good as their ranking at the beginning of the season. If it were not for the fact that Lakeland stands in the way of Daytona Beach, I would be willing to say Edgewater is a lock to make the title game. 

Edgewater gets rolled. If they let a team like a Bishop Moore to hang around then they are not very good. B Moore is really not good. 

Marietta is great. Top 5 in GA. 

Edgewater is good for their area. Marietta is good in the country. Huge difference. Kinda like when Armwood beats everyone in the area but goes and plays a team in GA that isn’t even as good as Marietta, and they get chopped down. 

Edgewater is gonna get a coaching clinic next week

55 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Edgewater gets rolled. If they let a team like a Bishop Moore to hang around then they are not very good. B Moore is really not good. 

Edgewater is good for their area. Marietta is good in the country. Huge difference. Kinda like when Armwood beats everyone in the area but goes and plays a team in GA that isn’t even as good as Marietta, and they get chopped down. 

Armwood lost in overtime. Trust me, Edgewater is better than Armwood. I am not saying Edgewater wins next week, but they won't get rolled.

The BM Edgewater game should not be used as a measuring stick for Edgewater. They are a lot better now than they were a month ago. 

4 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I would be very surprised if Marietta running clocked Edgewater.

Edgewater is at least 21 points better (probably more) than last year's team that made the semis against Lakeland. Marietta is good, maybe very good, but not as good as their ranking at the beginning of the season. If it were not for the fact that Lakeland stands in the way of Daytona Beach, I would be willing to say Edgewater is a lock to make the title game. 

I'm certainly very worried about Edgewater as far as Lakeland is concerened. It's just that the record of Florida's teams traveling up to Georgia seems quite poor. I'm not sure how much is attributable to the quality of the teams and how much can be blamed on refs, travel etc. Really, really hope Edgewater goes up there and battles Marietta for 4 quarters.

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

My comments were based on a general feeling after observing Florida vs. OOS teams, especially road games against Georgia teams. I don't actually know anything about either team, other than Marietta is loaded with FBS players, one of whom is a beast TE.

Have you seen Edgewater this year? What aspects of their team do you see as being their weakest links?

3 minutes ago, skyway said:

I'm certainly very worried about Edgewater as far as Lakeland is concerened. It's just that the record of Florida's teams traveling up to Georgia seems quite poor. I'm not sure how much is attributable to the quality of the teams and how much can be blamed on refs, travel etc. Really, really hope Edgewater goes up there and battles Marietta for 4 quarters.

I strongly believe they will. They may lose, but Marietta will know they have been in a game. This is a solid Edgewater team. At least as good as 2002-2004. The HBC is a young guy in his early 30s. What he may lack in experience, he makes up for in exuberance. The kids play hard for him. 

3 minutes ago, skyway said:

My comments were based on a general feeling after observing Florida vs. OOS teams, especially road games against Georgia teams. I don't actually know anything about either team, other than Marietta is loaded with FBS players, one of whom is a beast TE.

Have you seen Edgewater this year? What aspects of their team do you see as being their weakest links?

Of course he has not seen them. He's basing it on his overall opinion of Orlando area football. I have seen Edgewater three times: Bishop Moore, Jones and Wekiva. They have gotten better with each game.

Last night they had every reason to fall apart being down 14-0 in the first three minutes of the game. The did not panic and scored the last 45 points to win handily. 

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Of course he has not seen them. He's basing it on his overall opinion of Orlando area football. I have seen Edgewater three times: Bishop Moore, Jones and Wekiva. They have gotten better with each game.

Last night they had every reason to fall apart being down 14-0 in the first three minutes of the game. The did not panic and scored the last 45 points to win handily. 

I figure he hasn't seen them. But, I figured I'd give him a chance to enlighten us! But, Edgewater isn't a trendy team on the national board, so he's unlikely to give them any credit :D

Edgewater qb is average.  Secondary is ok.  Also they lack discipline at times.  That is their weakness.  They are really good up front on both sides and they have two electric playmakers on offense at Wr.  The coach is young and like Darter said the kids play hard for him.  I wish Edgewater well in this game but I would say they are up against a tough task.  I believe they will show up to play and will make a game of it

4 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

I don't know how good Marietta is, but I have seen Edgewater play on more than one occasion. Edgewater has exceptional team speed, a very good QB, and no apparent weaknesses. They beat Bishop Moore by 13 in the first game of the season and have toyed with their other opponents this season. Unless Marietta is the IMG or St Frances of the state of Georgia, I would think Edgewater can be competitive. They may not win, but that should be decided on the field.

You say BM is really not good. I could accept your opinion if you're making that decision based upon seeing their games this season, but I don't think that's the case. BM played its' first 4 games against a very difficult schedule, one that included Edgewater, Jones, and Archbishop Spalding of Maryland. They came out of that stretch 1-3. Since then, they have overhauled a porous secondary that cost them dearly in those games. They have won their last 2 games against 5A opponents with relative ease and should win their next 4 and finish the regular season at 7-3 behind Jones in their 5A district. Based upon their opponents, that record should get them into the playoffs, and then anything can happen.

It's easy to criticize teams, but when you haven't actually seen them or their opponents play, it seems kind of unfair. 

3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

They created several turnovers against Winter Park and won easily against a team that has several FBS commits at the skill positions; QB (Buffalo), Junior RB (Florida), WR (Miami), and CB (Texas), to name a few. Edgewater is well coached and deep at almost every position. Their D-Line is big, fast, and creates turnovers. They may not beat Marietta, but I don't think they'll embarrass themselves.

2 hours ago, badbird said:

Edgewater qb is average.  Secondary is ok.  Also they lack discipline at times.  That is their weakness.  They are really good up front on both sides and they have two electric playmakers on offense at Wr.  The coach is young and like Darter said the kids play hard for him.  I wish Edgewater well in this game but I would say they are up against a tough task.  I believe they will show up to play and will make a game of it

The Edgewater QB is a junior transfer from Dr Phillips; he's rated the top player in Central Florida for the class of 2021 by the Orlando Sentinel. He's a dual threat QB and runs and passes equally well. If he's average, Central Florida football must be outstanding. 

1 hour ago, HornetFan said:

The Edgewater QB is a junior transfer from Dr Phillips; he's rated the top player in Central Florida for the class of 2021 by the Orlando Sentinel. He's a dual threat QB and runs and passes equally well. If he's average, Central Florida football must be outstanding. 

The Orlando Sentinel has him #41 in the class of 2021 for Central Florida.  He was a part time starter at DP last year.  He is not near as good right now as the QB Edgewater had last year.   

Tommi Hill is #1 one of the electric WR's I was talking about.    Christian Leary is #7 on the list.

The list is below.  Not sure where you got #1 from.

http://interactive.orlandosentinel.com/recruiting/2021/central-florida-super60/

50 minutes ago, badbird said:

The Orlando Sentinel has him #41 in the class of 2021 for Central Florida.  He was a part time starter at DP last year.  He is not near as good right now as the QB Edgewater had last year.   

Tommi Hill is #1 one of the electric WR's I was talking about.    Christian Leary is #7 on the list.

I agree he is not as good as their QB last year. But he is only a Junior. I believe he has more upside potential. It was interesting to see two former DP QBs dueling it out last night. Not usual to see that in one game. 

Regarding Tommi Hill, nice kid with lots of upside potential and comes from a caring family. To some degree he does not fit in with the tempo of the team. Regardless, he should do real well in the college game. 

10 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I agree he is not as good as their QB last year. But he is only a Junior. I believe he has more upside potential.

He probably does as a QB and he also has more weapons around him with Hill, Connelly and Leary all a year older now and the OL seems better this year.  Mobley also doesn't have to do as much as Harvey had to do last year and he is not keyed on by defenses.  However in regards to the question he is their weakness.  If he plays well they have a chance to win it all.  I'm not saying he sucks but he isn't as good as the QB they had last year.  Against Bishop Moore I saw him miss open players and throw a pick 6.  I also saw him make some throws that average QB's could not make.  He has ability.  He needs to be more consistent.  

3 minutes ago, badbird said:

He probably does as a QB and he also has more weapons around him with Hill, Connelly and Leary all a year older now and the OL seems better this year.  Mobley also doesn't have to do as much as Harvey had to do last year and he is not keyed on by defenses.  However in regards to the question he is their weakness.  If he plays well they have a chance to win it all.  I'm not saying he sucks but he isn't as good as the QB they had last year.  Against Bishop Moore I saw him miss open players and throw a pick 6.  I also saw him make some throws that average QB's could not make.  He has ability.  He needs to be more consistent.  

I agree with the bold underscored parts of your comments above. 

20 hours ago, badbird said:

My mistake; I thought QB was #1. Still, having seen him several times this season, he is very good. The #2 on the list, Dakota Mitchell, RB at Winter Park, will be going to UF.