Region 1, 8A 4

DarterBlue2

There are six teams in this district: Apopka, Evans, Lake Brantley, Lake Mary, Ocoee and West Orange. Currently, Apopka and West Orange are 2-0, Lake Mary and Evans are 1-1, and Ocoee and Lake Brantley are 0-2.

Having already beaten Lake Mary and Evans, West Orange is in the best position to win the district. A victory over Apopka in their contest should wrap it up unless either Ocoee or Lake Brantly upsets them. Of the two, Ocoee probably has the best chance due to the long standing rivalry between the two teams. Apopka is in the next best position with games remaining against: West Orange, Lake Mary and Evans. While I favor Apopka against all three, any of the three has a decent chance of pulling the upset.

Lake Mary does because they have a quality quarterback and Apopka struggles most against the pass. West Orange, athletically matches up evenly against Apopka and this should be a down to the wire game. Evans is the dark horse. For the first time since Chip Gierke's brief stint there, they seem to be back to life. Of the three remaining district games Evans is the only team that has a chance to straight out out athlete Apopka. 

As things stand in the district, a playoff spot is Apopka's to lose. However, there is a real possibility that that could occur. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

There are six teams in this district: Apopka, Evans, Lake Brantley, Lake Mary, Ocoee and West Orange. Currently, Apopka and West Orange are 2-0, Lake Mary and Evans are 1-1, and Ocoee and Lake Brantley are 0-2.

Having already beaten Lake Mary and Evans, West Orange is in the best position to win the district. A victory over Apopka in their contest should wrap it up unless either Ocoee or Lake Brantly upsets them. Of the two, Ocoee probably has the best chance due to the long standing rivalry between the two teams. Apopka is in the next best position with games remaining against: West Orange, Lake Mary and Evans. While I favor Apopka against all three, any of the three has a decent chance of pulling the upset.

Lake Mary does because they have a quality quarterback and Apopka struggles most against the pass. West Orange, athletically matches up evenly against Apopka and this should be a down to the wire game. Evans is the dark horse. For the first time since Chip Gierke's brief stint there, they seem to be back to life. Of the three remaining district games Evans is the only team that has a chance to straight out out athlete Apopka. 

As things stand in the district, a playoff spot is Apopka's to lose. However, there is a real possibility that that could occur. 

West Orange has lost their best two backs from last year Hall grades and Sinica (trouble).  They also just lost their QB who they said will be back for the Apopka game.  They also lost their head coach and 3 to 4 assistants.  The fact they are 4-2 and just beat Lake Mary is pretty impressive.  Those kids could have easily quit.  Apopka has struggled in the past vs West Orange.  They have some WR's that will give Apopka trouble.  Jaylon Carlise is pretty good.

Vernon Mitchell has Evans 4-1 headed back in the right direction.  I saw them vs West Orange. I don't think they are ready yet to beat Apopka.  Offensively they are average and Apopka's defense is really good.  They won't be able to throw like Lake Mary and West Orange can.  I think this is a mismatch for Evans and Apopka wins fairly easy.  Evans defense will have to keep them in the game.  I see Apopka winning like 28-6.  Evans could easily end the season 7-3 or 8-2 which would be an amazing season in Vernon's first year.

Lake Mary is 2-3 but close losses to Seminole and West Orange.  I have not seen Lake Mary play at all this year.  I did not expect them to play as well as they have and their record is a little deceiving.  They are well coached and Coach Perry gets the most out of what he has.  Expect Lake Mary to have a great game plan.  Not sure if it will be enough.

I expect Apopka to win all 3 of those games.  Apopka is very good on defense and they will find enough offense to win if they don't turn it over a bunch.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:17 PM, badbird said:

I expect Apopka to win all 3 of those games.  Apopka is very good on defense and they will find enough offense to win if they don't turn it over a bunch.

Apopka may win all three games, but my money is they lose at least one of the three. You are both right and wrong about Apopka's defense. The defensive front is very strong. The secondary has some good athletes, but it is susceptible to both the deep ball and to screens which can get five six yards per play. So, if I am right and Apopka loses one of these games, they probably go 7-2 or 6-3, as they will likely lose to Jones this week, while the Wekiva game is a toss up. 

7-2 or 6-3, including at least one district loss will probably not be enough to win the district (especially if the loss is to WO), and may not be enough to get a wild card spot. 

8 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Apopka may win all three games, but my money is they lose at least one of the three. You are both right and wrong about Apopka's defense. The defensive front is very strong. The secondary has some good athletes, but it is susceptible to both the deep ball and to screens which can get five six yards per play. So, if I am right and Apopka loses one of these games, they probably go 7-2 or 6-3, as they will likely lose to Jones this week, while the Wekiva game is a toss up. 

7-2 or 6-3, including at least one district loss will probably not be enough to win the district (especially if the loss is to WO), and may not be enough to get a wild card spot. 

I could see them losing one.  I agree they lose to Jones and Wekiva is a toss up.  I wouldn’t be shocked if Apopka beat Jones because of the single wing and Jones not use to seeing it

2 minutes ago, badbird said:

I could see them losing one.  I agree they lose to Jones and Wekiva is a toss up.  I wouldn’t be shocked if Apopka beat Jones because of the single wing and Jones not use to seeing it

If Apopka beats Jones, it would be due solely to coaching issues with Jones's staff. Without Jecoryan, who now lives in Georgia, Apopka has decent but not exceptional backs and they have had their fair share of injuries. The point being that while they will have more guys at the point of attack, at least some of the time, it does not mean they get a lot of first downs.

In the DP game, Apopka was having its way till just before half time. Come the second half DP made adjustments, and Apopka's offensive production in the second half was very limited. 

19 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

If Apopka beats Jones, it would be due solely to coaching issues with Jones's staff. Without Jecoryan, who now lives in Georgia, Apopka has decent but not exceptional backs and they have had their fair share of injuries. The point being that while they will have more guys at the point of attack, at least some of the time, it does not mean they get a lot of first downs.

In the DP game, Apopka was having its way till just before half time. Come the second half DP made adjustments, and Apopka's offensive production in the second half was very limited. 

That was my point.  Jones is way more talented.  The single wing gives Apopka a chance vs a team that hasn't seen it much.  DP has seen it and knows how to adjust.  I actually think Jones has a good staff.  Elijah does a really good job.  However they don't see the single wing often.  

Now that I think about it didn't Elijah beat Apopka when he was at Oak Ridge?  

1 hour ago, badbird said:

That was my point.  Jones is way more talented.  The single wing gives Apopka a chance vs a team that hasn't seen it much.  DP has seen it and knows how to adjust.  I actually think Jones has a good staff.  Elijah does a really good job.  However they don't see the single wing often.  

He did. Nyquan Murray was at Oak Ridge. Apopka led most of the game and Oak Ridge stormed back to win late in the 4th quarter. Murray had a couple spectacular plays in that game. Oak Ridge did a decent job in that game against the single wing. And Apopka was more talented that year than this year. 

I have only seen Apopka once this year vs Ocoee who I really thought would be competitive with them, but 3 minutes into the game it was over as Apopka scored three times very quickly making it 21 - 0. Ocoee is not a great team but they are not that bad either, so to me this was a very impressive win for them. I can see Apopka making a deep run in the playoffs this year and I would really like to see the Apopka vs Seminole playoff game happen as I think the winner will make it to states.

2 hours ago, Monarch said:

I have only seen Apopka once this year vs Ocoee who I really thought would be competitive with them, but 3 minutes into the game it was over as Apopka scored three times very quickly making it 21 - 0. Ocoee is not a great team but they are not that bad either, so to me this was a very impressive win for them. I can see Apopka making a deep run in the playoffs this year and I would really like to see the Apopka vs Seminole playoff game happen as I think the winner will make it to states.

You saw the best Apopka has played all year. This team is not a state contender. If they make it to the state title game Jeff Rolson did the most amazing job ever. They do not have the skill kids on offense to compete for a state title. I hope they prove me wrong

4 minutes ago, badbird said:

You saw the best Apopka has played all year. This team is not a state contender. If they make it to the state title game Jeff Rolson did the most amazing job ever. They do not have the skill kids on offense to compete for a state title. I hope they prove me wrong

That just about sums it up. They would need new wrinkles and amazing luck or some new guy to emerge to have any shot at making it to the third round let alone Daytona. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 10:15 AM, badbird said:

I believe Cocoa ran the single and double wing on Jones most of the times they played. Cocoa seems to have had their way when running it against Jones. If Apopka is decent with the wing and has the defense to stop Jones, I see them winning. The wing requires a capable RB and O-line to be successful. Gonna find out just how good Jones is this weekend. Best team I've seen defending against the Wing was Booker T Miami 2011-2012-2013. They had the speed on defense to close holes real fast and cover the screen.

5 hours ago, badbird said:

I was right on West Orange and Evans.  I think Lake Mary poses a problem.  I’ve yet to see Lake Mary but I have seen Apopka twice.  lake Mary will be well coached but will they have enough athletes to win.  I think it will be a close game

You were. The West Orange game could have gone either way. WO lost because the QB they started was not able to find his receivers with any consistency. But the WO defense did a great job containing Apopka's offense.

Evans did not have enough on its defensive front to stop Apopka's run game and Apopka's offensive line punished them, especially in the second quarter. In fact Apopka's third touchdown, was scored despite Evans tackling the runner more than eight yards out. However, the line was able to push him into the end zone despite this. 

I agree on Lake Mary being a tough game mostly, in my opinion, because their quarterback is very talented for a sophomore and they have a couple tall receivers. Further, with last night's results, I think the winner of this game wins the district, so a lot is at stake.