Which Teams Will Get Left out of the Playoffs?

OldSchoolLion

As of today, here are some better teams(record-wise) who would be in trouble(assuming they did not win their district).

8A-R1   #9 seed Orlando Evans 5-1

8A-R1    #10 seed Deland 3-2

8A-R3    #9 seed PB Central 4-2

8A-R3   #10 seed Monarch 6-1

7A-R1    #11 seed Buchholz 4-2

7A-R3    #10 seed Lakewood Ranch 4-1

5A-R4     #9 seed Desoto County 4-2

4A-R4     A team(s) with a good record could get left out.  This region is loaded.

These are the #6 through #9 seed in 8A-Region 3-very close.  Imagine if Deerfield Beach got left out of the playoffs this year.  They have 4 games left(Spanish River, STA, Monarch, and Hallandale).  

27 Jupiter (FL)  3 10 0.579 4-2-0  0.667 0.514 0.553
28 Deerfield Beach (FL)  3 12 0.575 4-2-0  0.667 0.481 0.579

30 Santaluces (Lantana, FL)  3 11 0.570 4-1-0  0.800 0.370 0.534
31 Palm Beach Central (Wellington, FL)  3 10 0.566 4-2-0  0.667 0.525 0.496

3 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

These are the #6 through #9 seed in 8A-Region 3-very close.  Imagine if Deerfield Beach got left out of the playoffs this year.  They have 4 games left(Spanish River, STA, Monarch, and Hallandale).  

27 Jupiter (FL)  3 10 0.579 4-2-0  0.667 0.514 0.553
28 Deerfield Beach (FL)  3 12 0.575 4-2-0  0.667 0.481 0.579

30 Santaluces (Lantana, FL)  3 11 0.570 4-1-0  0.800 0.370 0.534
31 Palm Beach Central (Wellington, FL)  3 10 0.566 4-2-0  0.667 0.525 0.496

If they lose to Monarch and not win the district they could be left out

OldSchool You do realize that Lakewood Ranch hasn't played one team with a winning record, and the one game they had against a team with a .500 record, beat them 58-0.............................right? They play Venice this week, who will also beat them like a drum and you want to argue the virtues of them being potentially left out of the playoffs based on a record built up to this point on beating teams with a collective record of 3-24?

9 minutes ago, FL_HS_football said:

OldSchool You do realize that Lakewood Ranch hasn't played one team with a winning record, and the one game they had against a team with a .500 record, beat them 58-0.............................right? They play Venice this week, who will also beat them like a drum and you want to argue the virtues of them being potentially left out of the playoffs based on a record built up to this point on beating teams with a collective record of 3-24?

note I stated "some better teams(record-wise)."  I didn't state anything above to "argue the virtues" of any of those teams being worthy of a playoff spot.  It's for all of you to judge that on your own.  .  

Evans wins have come against teams with a combined record of 8-21, 4 of those 8 wins came from one team "Oviedo", they have tuff district games the next 2 weeks which they potentially could lose both.........but would also help them with their over-all strength of schedule too if they win them. For them I say the next 4 weeks are key for them and qualifying for the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

note I stated "some better teams(record-wise)."  I didn't state anything above to "argue the virtues" of any of those teams being worthy of a playoff spot.  It's for all of you to judge that on your own.  .  

What you're doing is what I call classic "stirring the chit", with your method of presentation.............

On 10/8/2019 at 8:05 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

As of today, here are some better teams(record-wise) who would be in trouble(assuming they did not win their district).

8A-R1   #9 seed Orlando Evans 5-1

8A-R1    #10 seed Deland 3-2

8A-R3    #9 seed PB Central 4-2

8A-R3   #10 seed Monarch 6-1

7A-R1    #11 seed Buchholz 4-2

7A-R3    #10 seed Lakewood Ranch 4-1

5A-R4     #9 seed Desoto County 4-2

4A-R4     A team(s) with a good record could get left out.  This region is loaded.

8A-R1 Orlando Evans lost 31-20 to Lake Mary

8A-R1 Deland beat West Port 44-7 (West Port is now 1-6, so this win not likely to help the Deland RPI much this coming week)

8A-R3 PB Central beat Forest Hill 41-21 (Good win as Forest Hill has a winning record)

8A-R-3 Monarch lost to Boca Raton 38-14

7A-R1 Buchholz lost to Fletcher 41-17

7A-R-3 Lakewood Ranch lost to Venice 49-6

5A-R4 Desoto County beat Labelle 28-10 (Labelle is now 2-5, so this win not likely to help Desoto County RPI much)

On 10/8/2019 at 8:35 PM, badbird said:

add Mandarin and Winter Park to the list.  Not saying they deserve it right now but two good teams currently out.  I think WP wins it's district which pushes another team out.  8A region 1 has some good teams

Mandarin just took a huge step last night. WP will need to knock off Timber Creek.

Carol City loses to Edison, 7-6, dropping the Chiefs to 3-5.  A pick 6 by Edison was their only score.  With undefeated South Dade up next, a losing season for the Chiefs is a real possibility.  Will they make the playoffs nonetheless?  An Edison versus Chaminade-Madonna 3A Region 4 final is looking more probable.   

11 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Carol City loses to Edison, 7-6, dropping the Chiefs to 3-5.  A pick 6 by Edison was their only score.  With undefeated South Dade up next, a losing season for the Chiefs is a real possibility.  Will they make the playoffs nonetheless?  An Edison versus Chaminade-Madonna 3A Region 4 final is looking more probable.   

It is hard to fathom how Edison beat Carol City who gave both Northwestern and St. Thomas decent games. Edison lost to a down Coral Gables. To me it looks like, overall, Florida is having a down football year. Not many elite teams out there. It is reflected in our relatively poor out of state games showing. 

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It is hard to fathom how Edison beat Carol City who gave both Northwestern and St. Thomas decent games. Edison lost to a down Coral Gables. To me it looks like, overall, Florida is having a down football year. Not many elite teams out there. It is reflected in our relatively poor out of state games showing. 

Carol City has had numerous losing seasons in recent years.  Maybe we are all a bit spoiled, expecting these teams to be "up" every year.  

1 minute ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Carol City has had numerous losing seasons in recent years.  Maybe we are all a bit spoiled, expecting these teams to be "up" every year.  

It's not what has happened in recent years. It's what they have done this year against teams that are currently regarded as solid. So far this year, only a very few teams have been consistently good.

23 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Just curious...what are some teams that have disappointed you this season?

Several: Trinity Christian, Carol City, Apopka, Mandarin, Columbus,Raines, Mainland, I could list several other, but I think you get the point. It is more a lack of consistency than anything else. I would not use one year as gospel, but if we had several years like this one in a row, I would subscribe to the theory that Florida High School football is on the decline. 

15 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Several: Trinity Christian, Carol City, Apopka, Mandarin, Columbus,Raines, Mainland, I could list several other, but I think you get the point. It is more a lack of consistency than anything else. I would not use one year as gospel, but if we had several years like this one in a row, I would subscribe to the theory that Florida High School football is on the decline. 

I did do a podcast a few days ago and something I touched on briefly during it was this idea that "Florida was trending down" which I btw disagree with

I feel this year is an outlier and FL will rebound 

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I understand your point, Darter.  Concerning Carol City, how many teams play a schedule like that below?  And they started the season with a freshman qb, who is bound to have some bad games, no matter how talented he is.  Would not be surprised if they are dealing with some injuries playing that schedule..don't know.  I do know that if they were destroying everyone in their path with a transfer qb, folks would be complaining, so good for them playing a freshman.   They're definitely having a subpar season for the Chiefs, but likely for good reason.  So, I look at it as a bit of an outlier, at least for now.

Deerfield Beach

Northwestern

Central 

Chaminade-Madonna

Trinity Christian

St Thomas

Vanguard

Edison

South Dade

American

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Aren't you being a little harsh on a 5-1 team in regards to Apopka? They are replacing a legendary coach for the school. 

As for Mandarin, did anybody really expect them to continue their improbable run? I mean them winning last year seemed fluky even with a great QB. Mandarin is not a traditional power by any means.

Let me pull the PAC12 argument out, maybe we just have greater parity, one of the complaints that we have had in the past is that we knew who was going to win state championships before the season even started, maybe that isn't true. Maybe that is good for the sport as a whole.

34 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Aren't you being a little harsh on a 5-1 team in regards to Apopka? They are replacing a legendary coach for the school. 

As for Mandarin, did anybody really expect them to continue their improbable run? I mean them winning last year seemed fluky even with a great QB. Mandarin is not a traditional power by any means.

Let me pull the PAC12 argument out, maybe we just have greater parity, one of the complaints that we have had in the past is that we knew who was going to win state championships before the season even started, maybe that isn't true. Maybe that is good for the sport as a whole.

1. Apopka has won games this year on defense. Their offense this year is in the bottom three I have seen in the past 21 seasons. If the defensive front were not in the top third of APK teams over the same period, Apopka would have lost at least two to three games. For the first time in over a decade, I can honestly say that, assuming Apopka makes the playoffs, I would be very surprised if they get beyond the second round.

2. I agree on Mandarin. 

3. I would agree on your last point if we were doing better in out of state competition. But we are not. We are having one of our worst years in recent history. Thus, I feel that rather than other teams rising up, it is the opposite: our best teams have fallen off.