Which Teams Will Get Left out of the Playoffs?

OldSchoolLion

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

3. I would agree on your last point if we were doing better in out of state competition. But we are not. We are having one of our worst years in recent history. Thus, I feel that rather than other teams rising up, it is the opposite: our best teams have fallen off. 

Between 2004-2018, STA, Miami Central, and Booker T Washington were a combined 22-9 versus highly ranked OOS opponents.  "Everyone else" was a combined 26-56.  The "other" teams won less than 1/3 of their games.  If not for those 3 teams, today we would be saying that FL has been lousy in the recent past...and in that sense, this year is really not that much different. 

Just now, OldSchoolLion said:

Between 2004-2018, STA, Miami Central, and Booker T Washington were a combined 22-9 versus highly ranked OOS opponents.  "Everyone else" was a combined 26-56.  The "other" teams won less than 1/3 of their games.  If not for those 3 teams, today we would be saying that FL has been lousy in the recent past...and in that sense, this year is really not that much different

The difference this year is: we have no teams like those STA, MC and BTW teams. In other years we have had some teams that have stepped up, if not consistently, at least for a year or two, and represented us well. STA may be of that caliber this year, I am not sure. MC and BTW are not. 

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

The difference this year is: we have no teams like those STA, MC and BTW teams. In other years we have had some teams that have stepped up, if not consistently, at least for a year or two, and represented us well. STA may be of that caliber this year, I am not sure. MC and BTW are not. 

The only other team I can think of in the past 5 years that stepped up and could compete on a national level was American Heritage Plantation.

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

The only other team I can think of in the past 5 years that stepped up and could compete on a national level was American Heritage Plantation.

Yes, but your reference period was 2004 to 2018. Perhaps we have really been on the decline for longer than it seems when we dig into the underlying data more deeply. 

38 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Yes, but your reference period was 2004 to 2018. Perhaps we have really been on the decline for longer than it seems when we dig into the underlying data more deeply. 

Our tendency may be to judge the health of FL hs football by the performance of the top 5% of our schools.  I think this is the wrong approach.  For every Miami Central, there are 8-9 fair-to-poor teams in the state...a much larger pool from which to judge.  The performance of the latter is a much stronger indicator of overall health.  If our "fair" teams are much better than "fair" teams in other states, we are doing pretty well.  If fair in FL is not much better than fair in Alabama, who cares what our Top 10 FL teams are doing.  Those Top 10 are, in essence, an outlier.

6 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Our tendency may be to judge the health of FL hs football by the performance of the top 5% of our schools.  I think this is the wrong approach.  For every Miami Central, there are 8-9 fair-to-poor teams in the state...a much larger pool from which to judge.  The performance of the latter is a much stronger indicator of overall health.  If our "fair" teams are much better than "fair" teams in other states, we are doing pretty well.  If fair in FL is not much better than fair in Alabama, who cares what our Top 10 FL teams are doing.  Those Top 10 are, in essence, an outlier.

One wonders to what extent the same applies to the other states with National Caliber team?

On 10/8/2019 at 8:55 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

Mainland should win their district, but if for some reason they didn't...they are currently the #11 seed...after a 3-point loss to Deland and 2-point loss to Seminole (other loss to Cocoa).  

Oct 18, Mainland at NSB for district title. Coach Wilk doesn't have the horses he had at Cocoa. It shouldn't be close.....if not heads should roll.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:49 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

It is hard to fathom how Edison beat Carol City who gave both Northwestern and St. Thomas decent games. Edison lost to a down Coral Gables. To me it looks like, overall, Florida is having a down football year. Not many elite teams out there. It is reflected in our relatively poor out of state games showing. 

Didn't Carol City lose it's Head Coach in mid August to a rebirth at Florida Memorial (College) ?  That could have a bearing on their inconsistency. Also Ice Harris of BTW went their too (at that late date).

34 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Didn't Carol City lose it's Head Coach in mid August to a rebirth at Florida Memorial (College) ?  That could have a bearing on their inconsistency. Also Ice Harris of BTW went their too (at that late date).

lets not kid ourselves There is only 1 elite school in florida & thats iMG ...

2 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Carol City lost a coach to Florida Memorial. Not sure if he was the HBC. ICE also went there

20 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

lets not kid ourselves There is only 1 elite school in florida & thats iMG ...

That statement will be even more convincing if and when they defeat St. Frances Academy this Friday up in Baltimore. Could possibly be named number 1 in the nation if they win big.

6 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

That statement will be even more convincing if and when they defeat St. Frances Academy this Friday up in Baltimore. Could possibly be named number 1 in the nation if they win big.

Mater Dei already beat SFA convincingly and IMG will be done on November 1st against Hoover

If Mater Dei runs table they will be undisputed national champs and much more deserving of it then IMG

9 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Mater Dei already beat SFA convincingly and IMG will be done on November 1st against Hoover

If Mater Dei runs table they will be undisputed national champs and much more deserving of it then IMG

undisputed?  Is this college football in the 30's?  There is no undisputed high school national champ.  The games aren't played on the field.  

IMG is the best team in Florida.  Lakeland and STA are the only two others that might be elite this year.  No one else is elite this year.

1 hour ago, badbird said:

undisputed?  Is this college football in the 30's?  There is no undisputed high school national champ.  The games aren't played on the field.  

IMG is the best team in Florida.  Lakeland and STA are the only two others that might be elite this year.  No one else is elite this year.

Can you honestly say without any doubt that Lakeland or STA aren't capable of beating IMG this year?

1 hour ago, badbird said:

Undisputed as in every national poll will have them at #1

2 minutes ago, badbird said:

Capable?  Sure they are capable but they would be a 10-14 point underdog.  if They played 10 times they might win 1

Exactly in my opinion...lakeland and sta is NOT Elite ...sta hasnt even been the best in their own classification the last few years let alone one of the best in the nation. Same can b said about lakeland b4 last year.

Truth of the matter is iMG is the only school who schedules the BEST OF THE BEST yearly; idc if its because they recruit nationally blah blah their not forcing any kid to play for them. 

Teams LIKE BTW MC MNW STA LAKELAND CHAMINADE U SCHOOL AHP (THIS YEAR) Will be considerd as above avg good to very good football programs but thats about it. IMG is the ONLY school in florida RIGHT NOW that can go head to head with any of the nations BEST & not be embarrassed; and would probably come back home with a winning record.

38 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Exactly in my opinion...lakeland and sta is NOT Elite ...sta hasnt even been the best in their own classification the last few years let alone one of the best in the nation. Same can b said about lakeland b4 last year.

Truth of the matter is iMG is the only school who schedules the BEST OF THE BEST yearly; idc if its because they recruit nationally blah blah their not forcing any kid to play for them. 

Teams LIKE BTW MC MNW STA LAKELAND CHAMINADE U SCHOOL AHP (THIS YEAR) Will be considerd as above avg good to very good football programs but thats about it. IMG is the ONLY school in florida RIGHT NOW that can go head to head with any of the nations BEST & not be embarrassed; and would probably come back home with a winning record.

Well at least STA won last time they played a CA school

IMG lost last time they did and I call bull crap on IMG being only one schedules best of best

This ain't GA where teams are selective and avoiding the best teams in other states so in what reality are you seeing IMG as only team scheduling elite teams??

Just now, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well at least STA won last time they played a CA school

IMG lost last time they did and I call bull crap on IMG being only one schedules best of best

This ain't GA where teams are selective and avoiding the best teams in other states so in what reality are you seeing IMG as only team scheduling elite teams??

A weak small CA WHO they struggled against lol if STA played MD or SFA or even SJP they would have lost 

Just now, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

A weak small CA WHO they struggled against lol if STA played MD or SFA or even SJP they would have lost 

Since when was DLS considered weak?

Outside of Mater Dei or maybe SJB (both of whom would beat IMG without a doubt in my mind) who in CA is gonna beat DLS most years?