RPI is a joke

badbird

I know let it play out blah blah blah

I have just started looking at it and started in 8A Region 1.  Spruce Creek is #5 in the playoffs and Deland is #10 and out of the playoffs.  Both teams have the same record 3-2 and Deland beat Spruce Creek by 12 and has two close losses to Seminole and Viera.  Maxpreps has Deland ranked #65 and Spruce Creek #104.  

1 minute ago, badbird said:

I know let it play out blah blah blah

I have just started looking at it and started in 8A Region 1.  Spruce Creek is #5 in the playoffs and Deland is #10 and out of the playoffs.  Both teams have the same record 3-2 and Deland beat Spruce Creek by 12 and has two close losses to Seminole and Viera.  Maxpreps has Deland ranked #65 and Spruce Creek #104.  

We had a simple system that could have worked. District winner and runner up make the playoffs. With that all we needed to do was to ensure that the districts had at least five teams each. Would it be prefect? No, but it would have been easy to understand, the risk of error would be minimal, and, if there were five teams per district (at a minimum), then most districts would have had three or more team that would have had a shot at the playoffs. If that were combined with a regional playoff system based on a ranking system, the playoffs could still be very interesting and would not have the same early matches each year. 

But no, we introduce a very complex system, with a woefully unreliable service (Max Preps) as the gatekeeper and expect that we are going to have a non-controversial, fair system. My take is it is not going to work. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

We had a simple system that could have worked. District winner and runner up make the playoffs. With that all we needed to do was to ensure that the districts had at least five teams each. Would it be prefect? No, but it would have been easy to understand, the risk of error would be minimal, and, if there were five teams per district (at a minimum), then most districts would have had three or more team that would have had a shot at the playoffs. If that were combined with a regional playoff system based on a ranking system, the playoffs could still be very interesting and would not have the same early matches each year. 

But no, we introduce a very complex system, with a woefully unreliable service (Max Preps) as the gatekeeper and expect that we are going to have a non-controversial, fair system. My take is it is not going to work. 

I actually liked it when we had champ, runner up and wildcards.  Cut to 12 districts instead of 16 and that increases the teams in each district and allows 2 extra in each region to make it in case you are in a district of death.  Then you can seed by some point system.  We are using some bull shit formula to see who gets in. We might as well just roll a dice or flip a coin.

1 minute ago, badbird said:

I actually liked it when we had champ, runner up and wildcards.  Cut to 12 districts instead of 16 and that increases the teams in each district and allows 2 extra in each region to make it in case you are in a district of death.  Then you can seed by some point system.  We are using some bull shit formula to see who gets in. We might as well just roll a dice or flip a coin.

If you don't win your district, that is exactly right!

I am pretty sure I railed against the playoff points and the RPI and was told that I was too old fashioned, this new system would reward people for playing tough opponents. The best teams would get in. Now, the season isn't over, and the games aren't finalized, but I don't think this is any better than the old system so far.

Just now, gatorman-uf said:

I am pretty sure I railed against the playoff points and the RPI and was told that I was too old fashioned, this new system would reward people for playing tough opponents. The best teams would get in. Now, the season isn't over, and the games aren't finalized, but I don't think this is any better than the old system so far.

We have played tough opponents last 3 years and finished in our region

2017  5th seed (2nd overall in points)

2018  1st seed  (number 1 seed in entire 7a north)

2019  currently a 2 seed (still in fight and could end up as 1 seed by playoffs)

So yes as long as you schedule good games and win them you will be rewarded

1 hour ago, badbird said:

I really liked that system because districts were bigger 

Just now, Hwy17 said:

I really liked that system because districts were bigger 

My guess is it went away because some teams went and whined about being too tough a road and threatened to go independent so classes got increased to passify some weak teams that wanted to get in playoffs then pound their chest like they elite 

Only when elite teams come calling they can't get through :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

We have played tough opponents last 3 years and finished in our region

2017  5th seed (2nd overall in points)

2018  1st seed  (number 1 seed in entire 7a north)

2019  currently a 2 seed (still in fight and could end up as 1 seed by playoffs)

So yes as long as you schedule good games and win them you will be rewarded

So we got 2 district games against teams that are both likely to finish 1-9.  Already beat one of them 61-6 but having these two as district games kills our rpi.  We have 2 traditional rivals who we feel obliged to play every year.  They both are bad this year so it kills our rpi.  Should have just scheduled so weak team that is likely to win 3 or 4 gamed as it would have helped our rpi.

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

My guess is it went away because some teams went and whined about being too tough a road and threatened to go independent so classes got increased to passify some weak teams that wanted to get in playoffs then pound their chest like they elite 

We had 6 classes back then with that system.   The teams in 1a & 2a asked their classes be cut in half the next reallignment.  Wasn't so bad at first. Not sure how fhsaa is doing it now.

1 minute ago, Hwy17 said:

We had 6 classes back then with that system.   The teams in 1a & 2a asked their classes be cut in half the next reallignment.  Wasn't so bad at first. Not sure how fhsaa is doing it now.

If they were cut in half we basically had 8 classes at that point

It just was written different

I could separate the 3 highest classes into 6a, 6b, and 6c but that don't mean we only have 6 classes lol

How can a school like Douglas(ranked 9th overall in 8A) be ranked higher than a team like Columbus or Palmetto?  I think either of the latter would pound Douglas.  Douglas has played Orlando Colonial(one of the least successful programs in the state who Douglas beat by only 4 points), Monarch, Cypress Bay, Coral Spgs and Taravella.  Only Monarch has a winning record. 

Columbus has beaten Osceola, Belen Jesuit, Miami and Pace, and lost to BTW and South Dade. 

The difference between Douglas' and Columbus' schedules is light years apart and Columbus has more "quality" wins yet.....  

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

How can a school like Douglas(ranked 9th overall in 8A) be ranked higher than a team like Columbus or Palmetto?  I think either of the latter would pound Douglas.  Douglas has played Orlando Colonial(one of the least successful programs in the state who Douglas beat by only 4 points), Monarch, Cypress Bay, Coral Spgs and Taravella.  Only Monarch has a winning record. 

Columbus has beaten Osceola, Belen Jesuit, Miami and Pace, and lost to BTW and South Dade. 

The difference between Douglas' and Columbus' schedules is light years apart and Columbus has more "quality" wins yet.....  

Just like last year with the point system.  You're better off beating a team that's 4-6 than risk losing to a powerhouse. Only this system really hurts you if there is a 1-9 or 0-10 opponent on your schedule.  Hurts when they're in your district. 

3 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Just like last year with the point system.  You're better off beating a team that's 4-6 than risk losing to a powerhouse. Only this system really hurts you if there is a 1-9 or 0-10 opponent on your schedule.  Hurts when they're in your district. 

Yeah we got a winless team in our district and another we had to play because we had buchholz refuse to renew playing, then had a game with Osceola fall through and then Cedar Grove GA wanted us to rob a bank to pay their high paycheck to come to lake city

So we settled for winless AA Christian :ph34r:

Lake Gibson and Columbia are both 6-0 and both have an RPI of .707...yet Columbia has clearly played a tougher schedule.  I get it, but I don't get it with this system.  Intuitively, one would want Columbia to have a higher RPI because of the tougher schedule, no?  ...if the goal is to encourage more challenging play?      

7 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Lake Gibson and Columbia are both 6-0 and both have an RPI of .707...yet Columbia has clearly played a tougher schedule.  I get it, but I don't get it with this system.  Intuitively, one would want Columbia to have a higher RPI because of the tougher schedule, no?  ...if the goal is to encourage more challenging play?      

AA Christian and Gainesville both being winless drags our RPI down in a huge way

With point system from last year we probably wouldn't have taken as big an impact from those 2 games but the RPI gives a much bigger hit for playing someone who is winless this year than the point system did 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

AA Christian and Gainesville both being winless drags our RPI down in a huge way

With point system from last year we probably wouldn't have taken as big an impact from those 2 games but the RPI gives a much bigger hit for playing someone who is winless this year than the point system did 

Bingo!

Under the points system, there was an inherent bias against teams in bigger, relatively weak districts.  If I remember correctly, an 8-2 Chamberlain team and an 8-2 Seminole team missed the playoffs last year for this reason.   It would appear to me that RPI has not fixed that problem.  Scary to think maybe it has made things even worse for teams in that boat.

5 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Under the points system, there was an inherent bias against teams in bigger, relatively weak districts.  If I remember correctly, an 8-2 Chamberlain team and an 8-2 Seminole team missed the playoffs last year for this reason.   It would appear to me that RPI has not fixed that problem.  Scary to think maybe it has made things even worse for teams in that boat.

Well the RPI system is locked in for 2 years so if it goes bad they may make changes next cycle but some issues are ones we will see no matter what system we use

A lot of that comes from unbalanced districts and too many classes

There was absolutely a problem with teams getting bonus points for playing teams who were 2 years removed from the playoffs. This system the closer it gets to the end of the season, the more and more accurate it will get. Will there be a team who feels snubbed??? Absolutely, will happen in any system... but you will see much less of the craziness we saw last year with a winless team getting in aand such

14 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

It went away because of Gadsen County (0-10) enough said!!!! Lol