RPI is a joke

badbird

Just need to reserve judgement and see what happens in the end.  This is only the first release.  Things will change and there are lots of moving parts.  Every system has flaws.  Nothing is perfect.

With regards to Region 1, this will most likely be Bartram's only week at the top.  No matter what they do, they will drop below the FPC/Seminole winner (or maybe even both) the second they step on the field with Nease on Friday and will continue to drop from there because three of their remaining four opponents are RPI killers (around .500 or less) and most of their previous opponents will end up with either record or weak schedule issues.  They have hit their ceiling, both in the RPI and on the field.  That is why I take very little stock in early rankings.  

Realistically though, my old fashioned eyeball test tells me that there are no viable state title threats up here in 8A-1 for 2019.  None of these teams are equipped for any type of Mandarin run that occurred last year.  The region winner will almost certainly come from one of the other districts.  I don't need any RPI formula to tell me that.  Just my $.02 here.

Just a thought:  since teams have no control over scheduling the other teams within their district (and zero control over the non-district schedules of the teams they play against and the teams those teams play against), what about a hybrid formula.  District winners fill the top 4 spots (in the large classes) and then use RPI from non-district games to determine seeding and wildcard teams. 

On 10/8/2019 at 8:28 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

We had a simple system that could have worked. District winner and runner up make the playoffs. With that all we needed to do was to ensure that the districts had at least five teams each. Would it be prefect? No, but it would have been easy to understand, the risk of error would be minimal, and, if there were five teams per district (at a minimum), then most districts would have had three or more team that would have had a shot at the playoffs. If that were combined with a regional playoff system based on a ranking system, the playoffs could still be very interesting and would not have the same early matches each year. 

But no, we introduce a very complex system, with a woefully unreliable service (Max Preps) as the gatekeeper and expect that we are going to have a non-controversial, fair system. My take is it is not going to work. 

So many coaches complained about the old system saying that some of the best teams didn't get and some of the worse teams did. They went to a who has the best record and toughest schedule now. Just win a lot of your games even some of the close ones and everything will be fine. Shouldn't matter where you are seeded unless you can't beat one of the better teams. If you can't beat one of the better teams then does it really matter unless you just in it for the gate.

2 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

So many coaches complained about the old system saying that some of the best teams didn't get and some of the worse teams did. They went to a who has the best record and toughest schedule now. Just win a lot of your games even some of the close ones and everything will be fine. Shouldn't matter where you are seeded unless you can't beat one of the better teams. If you can't beat one of the better teams then does it really matter unless you just in it for the gate.

Thats where im at wit idc wea dillard is seeded we gon b ready regardless.

4 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Tbh i actually like our chances against almost any 6a school up north in order to get to the 3rd round for the 1st time in 18 years

I have a feeling this is the Year you guys make it to the semi's at least... Would be cool to see Dillard lay the wood to some of those other team in the playoffs.

16 hours ago, Perspective said:

Just a thought:  since teams have no control over scheduling the other teams within their district (and zero control over the non-district schedules of the teams they play against and the teams those teams play against), what about a hybrid formula.  District winners fill the top 4 spots (in the large classes) and then use RPI from non-district games to determine seeding and wildcard teams. 

That in theory would work IF the schools had same number of non-district games

Also you would still need the RPI for seeding the district champs

Just now, Hwy17 said:

But we get penalized because there is a team or two in the district that routinely goes 0-10 or 1-9. 

We got one in our district currently winless, just not the one we expected but I feel if we had to try and fill 10 games on our own we would have been screwed because most these North teams won't play us

20 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

We got one in our district currently winless, just not the one we expected but I feel if we had to try and fill 10 games on our own we would have been screwed because most these North teams won't play us

I hear you.  Question - Did you guys discontinue the series with Live Oak or was it their ideal?

1 minute ago, Hwy17 said:

I hear you.  Question - Did you guys discontinue the series with Live Oak or was it their ideal?

Even though I have stated publically that I felt the rivalry wasn't benefiting either school it ended up being Suwannee who pulled the plug

Apparently we offered to keep playing with multiple dates that mutually could have worked and Suwannee declined each date 

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Even though I have stated publically that I felt the rivalry wasn't benefiting either school it ended up being Suwannee who pulled the plug

Apparently we offered to keep playing with multiple dates that mutually could have worked and Suwannee declined each date 

Under both last year's system and the rpi system, beating a average team that has 4 or 5 wins helps you a lot more than losing to a top program, while beating a 1-9 or 0-10 team really hurts you.   I'm afraid that some long standing rivalry games may disappear as coaches try to schedule for points.   Which is difficult to do, because some programs naturally go through a cycle.  

33 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Maybe they should do that system from back in late 90s where they had champs and runner ups and 2 wild cards in each region and use RPI just for seeding and determining the 2 wild card teams

That system had 3 districts per region instead of 4, so the districts were larger.  And the point system for the 2 wildcard teams was much easier to understand.