Need the boards help

nolebull813

Ok so I want to debate some standards of how a team would be viewed. There are about 560 football playing schools in Florida. If you have time could you post how many teams are in each category. The categories are ELITE, GREAT, ABOVE AVERAGE, GOOD, AVERAGE, BAD, TERRIBLE, GARBAGE. 

That’s 8. I’ll start. Please don’t respond with dumb shit. If you don’t care or think it’s stupid assume I don’t give a crap and move along. I know it may fluctuate year to year but in a general sense. 

ELITE - 1-3

GREAT - 4-10

ABOVE AVERAGE - 11-20

GOOD - 21-35

AVERAGE 36-60

BAD 61-100

TERRIBLE 101-200 

GARBAGE 201-560

Just by your definitions this list is wrong.

”Average 36-60”

The top 36-60 teams in FL are probably in the top 5% nationally. Someone do the math. I don’t know how many teams there are nationally.

Generally the #50 team in FL is somewhere around 400-500 nationally. With 20,000 teams in the US that’d be top 2% to top 2.5%.

This name/ranking convention would work for a smaller state like Maryland or Alabama.

On a national scale the top 25 in Florida would all be “great”. Most would win state titles in 20 or more states. I’d then say the top 4-6 depending on the year are elite and the top 7-15 are just a notch below.

10 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

If you are isolating to Florida and not scaling to the US I’d say the “average” category stars somewhere near 150-200. There is a big drop off (and tail in the weak side of the distribution) with small schools that you’d have to account for.

Yeah I don’t use the word average in the sense of around half. 

The 40th best team in the entire state I would say is average. 

Since there is so many garbage and terrible teams at any given time then being good or average doesn’t carry the same weight 

A team like plantation is 6-0 and about to play an elite team. 

Now if they were “good“  they would be able to be competitive and not get completely embarrassed.  I would never expect them to win but if they truly are good or above average then the game should be a lot closer than what Aquinas would do to a bad or terrible team 

just a thought...I don't think it is fair to say schools like Trinity Christian and Chaminade-Madonna are not elite simply because they could not beat the best bigger schools.  That's like saying the world champion lightweight boxing champion is not elite because he could not beat the top 10 heavyweights in a match.

It's all relative...compare like-sized schools to like-sized schools.     

1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

just a thought...I don't think it is fair to say schools like Trinity Christian and Chaminade-Madonna are not elite simply because they could not beat the best bigger schools.  That's like saying the world champion lightweight boxing champion is not elite because he could not beat the top 10 heavyweights in a match.

It's all relative...compare like-sized schools to like-sized schools.     

Now there is a thought that never enters some peoples brains...

Sometimes even I forget class size and elite don't really balance out.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:06 PM, nolebull813 said:

Ok so I want to debate some standards of how a team would be viewed. There are about 560 football playing schools in Florida. If you have time could you post how many teams are in each category. The categories are ELITE, GREAT, ABOVE AVERAGE, GOOD, AVERAGE, BAD, TERRIBLE, GARBAGE. 

That’s 8. I’ll start. Please don’t respond with dumb shit. If you don’t care or think it’s stupid assume I don’t give a crap and move along. I know it may fluctuate year to year but in a general sense. 

ELITE - 1-3

GREAT - 4-10

ABOVE AVERAGE - 11-20

GOOD - 21-35

AVERAGE 36-60

BAD 61-100

TERRIBLE 101-200 

GARBAGE 201-560

Below is a breakdown of results from last year and how many teams finished the season with 1 loss, 2 losses, etc.

In a manner of speaking, you are saying that only teams that finish the season with 0 or 1 loss can be considered "above average."  And that, generally speaking, teams with 2 losses fall into the "average" to "good range."  And teams with 3 losses are bad or terrible, etc.  

So, a team like Apopka, that finished the 2018 season 9-3 was bad, or average at best?:blink:  That Apopka team likely would have been a title contender or winner in some states.

0 losses-1 team

1 loss-19 teams

2 losses-50 teams 

20 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Below is a breakdown of results from last year and how many teams finished the season with 1 loss, 2 losses, etc.

In a manner of speaking, you are saying that only teams that finish the season with 0 or 1 loss can be considered "above average."  And that, generally speaking, teams with 2 losses fall into the "average" to "good range."  And teams with 3 losses are bad or terrible, etc.  

So, a team like Apopka, that finished the 2018 season 9-3 was bad, or average at best?:blink:  That Apopka team likely would have been a title contender or winner in some states.

0 losses-1 team

1 loss-19 teams

2 losses-50 teams 

It sounds good until you realize teams can be bad with good records. 

Oasis was undefeated before playing Berkeley but I think anyone who isn’t brain dead would know they aren’t in the top 200 of the state. They just played garbage. 

There will be a lot of teams at the end of the year with 1-2 losses that aren’t very good. Just a bunch of garbage schedules who can’t hide in the playoffs. 

It is why trying to rank teams when there is a playoff makes zero sense. I will never understand why the NCAA does rankings for sports like basketball or baseball when rankings determine nothing. 

Why do we care in season who is elite, average, or poor? Play your schedule, win games, make the playoffs and win championships.

IF we are going to talk elite/average/poor, then allow a promotion and relegation system that truly allows elite to play elite and poor to play poor.