Quantcast
Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
nolebull813

Need the boards help

Recommended Posts

Ok so I want to debate some standards of how a team would be viewed. There are about 560 football playing schools in Florida. If you have time could you post how many teams are in each category. The categories are ELITE, GREAT, ABOVE AVERAGE, GOOD, AVERAGE, BAD, TERRIBLE, GARBAGE. 

That’s 8. I’ll start. Please don’t respond with dumb shit. If you don’t care or think it’s stupid assume I don’t give a crap and move along. I know it may fluctuate year to year but in a general sense. 

ELITE - 1-3

GREAT - 4-10

ABOVE AVERAGE - 11-20

GOOD - 21-35

AVERAGE 36-60

BAD 61-100

TERRIBLE 101-200 

GARBAGE 201-560

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just by your definitions this list is wrong.

”Average 36-60”

The top 36-60 teams in FL are probably in the top 5% nationally. Someone do the math. I don’t know how many teams there are nationally.

Generally the #50 team in FL is somewhere around 400-500 nationally. With 20,000 teams in the US that’d be top 2% to top 2.5%.

This name/ranking convention would work for a smaller state like Maryland or Alabama.

On a national scale the top 25 in Florida would all be “great”. Most would win state titles in 20 or more states. I’d then say the top 4-6 depending on the year are elite and the top 7-15 are just a notch below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are isolating to Florida and not scaling to the US I’d say the “average” category stars somewhere near 150-200. There is a big drop off (and tail in the weak side of the distribution) with small schools that you’d have to account for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

If you are isolating to Florida and not scaling to the US I’d say the “average” category stars somewhere near 150-200. There is a big drop off (and tail in the weak side of the distribution) with small schools that you’d have to account for.

 Yeah I don’t use the word average in the sense of around half. 

 The 40th best team in the entire state I would say is average. 

 Since there is so many garbage and terrible teams at any given time then being good or average doesn’t carry the same weight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A team like plantation is 6-0 and about to play an elite team. 

 Now if they were “good“  they would be able to be competitive and not get completely embarrassed.  I would never expect them to win but if they truly are good or above average then the game should be a lot closer than what Aquinas would do to a bad or terrible team 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly "elite" = on a totally different plane.  Not really fair drawing comparisons.  Mike Tyson embarrassed many "good" boxers who could not compete with him for 1 round in his prime.  To say they were not good because they could not compete with Tyson...don't think so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just a thought...I don't think it is fair to say schools like Trinity Christian and Chaminade-Madonna are not elite simply because they could not beat the best bigger schools.  That's like saying the world champion lightweight boxing champion is not elite because he could not beat the top 10 heavyweights in a match.

It's all relative...compare like-sized schools to like-sized schools.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OldSchoolLion said:

just a thought...I don't think it is fair to say schools like Trinity Christian and Chaminade-Madonna are not elite simply because they could not beat the best bigger schools.  That's like saying the world champion lightweight boxing champion is not elite because he could not beat the top 10 heavyweights in a match.

It's all relative...compare like-sized schools to like-sized schools.     

Now there is a thought that never enters some peoples brains...

Sometimes even I forget class size and elite don't really balance out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 5:06 PM, nolebull813 said:

Ok so I want to debate some standards of how a team would be viewed. There are about 560 football playing schools in Florida. If you have time could you post how many teams are in each category. The categories are ELITE, GREAT, ABOVE AVERAGE, GOOD, AVERAGE, BAD, TERRIBLE, GARBAGE. 

That’s 8. I’ll start. Please don’t respond with dumb shit. If you don’t care or think it’s stupid assume I don’t give a crap and move along. I know it may fluctuate year to year but in a general sense. 

ELITE - 1-3

GREAT - 4-10

ABOVE AVERAGE - 11-20

GOOD - 21-35

AVERAGE 36-60

BAD 61-100

TERRIBLE 101-200 

GARBAGE 201-560

Below is a breakdown of results from last year and how many teams finished the season with 1 loss, 2 losses, etc.

In a manner of speaking, you are saying that only teams that finish the season with 0 or 1 loss can be considered "above average."  And that, generally speaking, teams with 2 losses fall into the "average" to "good range."  And teams with 3 losses are bad or terrible, etc.  

So, a team like Apopka, that finished the 2018 season 9-3 was bad, or average at best?:blink:  That Apopka team likely would have been a title contender or winner in some states.

0 losses-1 team

1 loss-19 teams

2 losses-50 teams 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Below is a breakdown of results from last year and how many teams finished the season with 1 loss, 2 losses, etc.

In a manner of speaking, you are saying that only teams that finish the season with 0 or 1 loss can be considered "above average."  And that, generally speaking, teams with 2 losses fall into the "average" to "good range."  And teams with 3 losses are bad or terrible, etc.  

So, a team like Apopka, that finished the 2018 season 9-3 was bad, or average at best?:blink:  That Apopka team likely would have been a title contender or winner in some states.

0 losses-1 team

1 loss-19 teams

2 losses-50 teams 

It sounds good until you realize teams can be bad with good records. 

Oasis was undefeated before playing Berkeley but I think anyone who isn’t brain dead would know they aren’t in the top 200 of the state. They just played garbage. 

There will be a lot of teams at the end of the year with 1-2 losses that aren’t very good. Just a bunch of garbage schedules who can’t hide in the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is why trying to rank teams when there is a playoff makes zero sense. I will never understand why the NCAA does rankings for sports like basketball or baseball when rankings determine nothing. 

Why do we care in season who is elite, average, or poor? Play your schedule, win games, make the playoffs and win championships.

IF we are going to talk elite/average/poor, then allow a promotion and relegation system that truly allows elite to play elite and poor to play poor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



  • Posts

    • Also, The Flu only kills about 35,000 people a year in the US. 2 years ago we had the highest total in 40 years and hit the 70,000 people keep using.  That is double the norm.   Broward superintendent came out right away after mandate and said starting 5 days a week isn't likely in Broward.  As for football, Broward just pushed back summer workouts again to the 20th.  That is likely to be moved as well.  If the FHSAA really pushes forward with the start of the season on time or even back 2 weeks don't be surprised if South Florida (outside of maybe large private schools) pulls out of FHSAA and does their own thing this year. It has been discussed.
    • Was a starter for the Seminoles. Won over 150 games as a head coach in FL. Appeared with 3 different teams in a state final, 2 as a head coach and 1 as an assistant coach. Took over as hc at one central FL team and led them to a state title in 7 years. Took over as hc at a north FL school that had previously won only 1 FHSAA playoff game and led them to a state title game in 3 years, narrowly missing the victory. Took over as hc at a north FL school that had never appeared in an FHSAA playoff game and led them to a state semifinal game in his first and third seasons, losing only one regular season game over those three years.  Ultimately became the AD and an asst coach for that school and won a state title.   Who is he? At what schools did he coach in state title games?
    • Your entire post is laughable. The reason why Covid is a big deal is because it is a new virus that is far stronger than the flu has ever been, and is killing more people in a shorter amount of time. We have a vaccine against the flu that has been around for decades and is proven to work against the most common strands. Florida as it stands right now is closing in on 4,000 deaths and 215,000 cases, which is a crisis and one that can’t be taken lightly. Also, we don’t shut down for the flu, because asymptomatic people don’t have the same capacity to spread the flu virus as we do with Covid-19. And cancer isn’t spread like viruses are, and generally affect the older population and those who expose themself to radiation. 
    • The body's natural immune system protects from and fights off viruses. There is no cure for any virus and there is only one vaccine and that is somewhat effective and its only for the common flu. It's supposedly 40% effective but nobody really knows. Vaccines are made up of Antibodies that help to boost your Immune System if it is compromised. Other than that a vaccine does not do much good. Every day that you're alive you are bombarded by millions of viruses which the immune system protects against. The fact that millions of people have had Covid-19 with no ill affect or only mild symptoms is proof that very few people die. Most that die have other severe medical problems wherein their immune systems are compromised. Antibiotics can only kill Bacteria. They are useless against viruses. Once again, the immune system is the only thing that protects against viruses. If you are healthy, exercise regularly, eat right, don't smoke, take drugs, or drink excessively, then your immune system will never allow a virus to affect you. I would say that HS football players fall into that category and the reason why people under 60 do not have much to worry about from Covid-19 or any virus.
    • The concern is there is no way to treat Covid No vaccine, no proven antibiotics that fights it   They tell you quarantine for 14 days and hope for the best and that's good enough for you?
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...