Lakeland's final challenge @ Bloomingdale

Legion37

On 10/12/2019 at 11:33 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

Lakeland goes into the playoffs undefeated and does not get tested till Armwood. From the Armwood game on the path gets harder, but they have as good a chance of repeating as any other team in the state. 

The Lakeland/Armwood game should be pretty epic. I haven't had a chance to see Edgewater yet but I've seen STA, Lakeland, and Armwood in person this season. After the eye test, I have STA #1 followed by Lakeland then Armwood but it's really close IMO. I think anyone of those teams could beat each other on a given night. 

31 minutes ago, fishspinners said:

That's an interesting take about Bloomingdale not beating anyone good. I don't think they have much of a shot at beating Lakeland but they're certainly a solid team. 

Solid based on what? Are they solid for Tampa area? Solid for the entire state? The country? 

I think they are pretty good for their area. East Hillsborough. Tampa Bay Area, they are good. 

Entire state not so good. Entire country, really bad 

11 minutes ago, fishspinners said:

The Lakeland/Armwood game should be pretty epic. I haven't had a chance to see Edgewater yet but I've seen STA, Lakeland, and Armwood in person this season. After the eye test, I have STA #1 followed by Lakeland then Armwood but it's really close IMO. I think anyone of those teams could beat each other on a given night. 

Edgewater is kinda like Armwood. Big fish in a small pond beating up on overmatched opponents, but when the team lined up across from them can hit back, they crumble. 

Neither has the chest to win it all. 

Keep your money off either in the later rounds 

7 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Solid based on what? Are they solid for Tampa area? Solid for the entire state? The country? 

I think they are pretty good for their area. East Hillsborough. Tampa Bay Area, they are good. 

5th best RPI in 7A. Which translates into a solid state schedule. Wouldn't you say that Hillsborough Co is at the very least, a top five football county in the state?

6 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Edgewater is kinda like Armwood. Big fish in a small pond beating up on overmatched opponents, but when the team lined up across from them can hit back, they crumble. 

Neither has the chest to win it all. 

Keep your money off either in the later rounds 

You're selling Armwood very short. 

13 minutes ago, fishspinners said:

You're selling Armwood very short. 

The evidence is them breezing by everyone in the area for years and then finally making it to state only to get roasted. They had one job of going to GA to help the state rep by beating an above average team they should have man handled and crapped the bed. They are too used to playing slappies so when the going gets tough, they get pushed around. 

Yeah they can beat Tampa Bay team in the regular season and North Florida teams in the playoffs but when a team can match them it’s lights out 

2 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

The evidence is them breezing by everyone in the area for years and then finally making it to state only to get roasted. They had one job of going to GA to help the state rep by beating an above average team they should have man handled and crapped the bed. They are too used to playing slappies so when the going gets tough, they get pushed around. 

Yeah they can beat Tampa Bay team in the regular season and North Florida teams in the playoffs but when a team can match them it’s lights out 

Ga has had their way with most Fla teams they've played this season. Armwood losing in 2OT on the road to a very good Ga team is hardly a knock. But yea, Armwood hasn't been able to get over the hump against Dade teams in State Title games in awhile. 

9 minutes ago, fishspinners said:

Ga has had their way with most Fla teams they've played this season. Armwood losing in 2OT on the road to a very good Ga team is hardly a knock. But yea, Armwood hasn't been able to get over the hump against Dade teams in State Title games in awhile. 

Armwood is a pretty good team no doubt. I just don’t trust them against anyone in their radar. 

12 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

If by, "entire country", you really mean "the handful of football academies regularly talked about on Prepgridiron.com", I agree.

11 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

Armwood is a pretty good team no doubt. I just don’t trust them against anyone in their radar. 

None of that appears to be based on any real observations made this season. Nor is it based on Armwood never beating a Dade power to on the way to winning a state title; they HAVE done that multiple times before. Instead, it just appears to be based off of the results of certain other seasons that made more of an impression on you. There are a lot of outstanding teams in Georgia this year, and North Gwinnett  is right there with those teams. Losing a long way from home, where NG had a massive home field advantage, in 2OTs, is nothing to be embarrassed by.  

22 hours ago, fishspinners said:

What makes you think they should have man handled them? North Gwinnet is a top tier team in GA. I would expect them to make a legitimate run in 7a. Not sure where your logic is in this post. Actually from what I heard, North Gwinnet man handled Armwood. Numerous people have said that NG should have won by two touchdowns but gave up some BS plays that kept Armwood in it. 

24 minutes ago, NewEraFball said:

What makes you think they should have man handled them? North Gwinnet is a top tier team in GA. I would expect them to make a legitimate run in 7a. Not sure where your logic is in this post. Actually from what I heard, North Gwinnet man handled Armwood. Numerous people have said that NG should have won by two touchdowns but gave up some BS plays that kept Armwood in it. 

Did you quote the wrong post?

23 hours ago, nolebull813 said:

On 10/14/2019 at 8:30 AM, Legion37 said:

Even back in the day, 1980s you knew you were going to get a lot of penalties, far more than your average, at Plant City especially and Hillsborough County in general. Frankly one game I went to was the worst officiated game ever. And I will say it, those refs cheated. Mis-spots, phantom calls, and so forth.

It is sad to see that this has not changed.  Lakeland got penalty after penalty, especially if they got near the PC red zone this year.

Despite this, Lakeland still couldn't be touched by PC or Durant. Those teams just weren't good enough to do much even with help.

But it is notoriously well known that non Hillsborough teams have to fight both the refs and the opposing team.

Unfortunate that it has never been fixed.

But current officiating is terrible at almost every level, even at flag football.

This is hilarious. Take the orange glasses off. Plant has played  @ Lakeland in the playoffs and Lakeland has played @ Plant in the playoffs numerous times. I've been to all of those games except the one where Wayne Peace was the L's QB. Those games have been officiated fine. Good and bad calls against both teams. I saw Lakeland destroy Hillsborough in the Rainey era and the flags were not flying.

If you are talking regular season, then I don't really have an opinion because I haven't been to those games. I will say that a fully healthy Lakeland team will beat Bdale by at least 14, but don't underestimate them. They are an up and coming program. Even if cheating Armwood did take their best offensive player in the offseason (Charles Montgomery). 

Bloomingdale is exactly who I thought they were. Some team good for their area, but when the competition rises to the top they get the doors blown off. 

If a team is to be great or even pretty damn good, they shouldn’t get killed by elite teams. I would never expect them to win, but if your supposed to be good you shouldn’t be getting your skirt lifted. 

Blooming Onion is getting their pedals plucked. Lmao! 

As much as I want to avoid dragging this into the weeds, it's also important to set the record straight on exactly what the Plant coach did wrong.   In short, the allegations involved a young man that already was enrolled at Plant who found himself in a untenable position (I'm not going to go into the details, but suffice to say, a difficult 'home' situation went from bad to worse).  Coach Weiner asked another volunteer of the football program to make a few after-hour phone calls to see if someone would be willing to provide temporary shelter for the kid.  As an aside, after several phone calls, a temporary arrangement was found.  The temporary situation ended up lasting longer than initially anticipated and, in fact, eventually led to a guardianship arrangement.  But during this entire process, the kid was not eligible to play and never suited up for a single game. 

For asking the volunteer to make a phone call, Coach Weiner was suspended six games (later reduced to three) and fined $5,000 (or more than a thousand dollars more than his annual stipend for being a head coach). 

So, if you want to say that the coach violated an FHSAA policy (by indirectly assisting in the providing of impermissible benefits), go right ahead.  That's what the FHSAA determined - at least for the time being.   But, before you call the man a cheater, ask yourself one question:  if you were a coach (or a representative of any school's athletic interests) and a kid walked up to you one evening after work-outs and said "Hey, Coach, I don't have anywhere to eat or sleep tonight; can you help me?" what would you do?  If you can honestly say that you would look the kid in the eyes and say "Sorry, kid, I can't help you," then feel free to cast the first stone.  Otherwise, be thankful you've never been put in this no-win situation. 

4 hours ago, 181pl said:

I don't play for plant;I'm a little long in the tooth for that. Let's look at armwood? They probably got 15 transfers this year. Plant got none. Who's cheatin?

Considering your team has no head coach because he was suspended for cheating I know of one team that is.  I’m pretty sure of another that is but I have no proof

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

As much as I want to avoid dragging this into the weeds, it's also important to set the record straight on exactly what the Plant coach did wrong.   In short, the allegations involved a young man that already was enrolled at Plant who found himself in a untenable position (I'm not going to go into the details, but suffice to say, a difficult 'home' situation went from bad to worse).  Coach Weiner asked another volunteer of the football program to make a few after-hour phone calls to see if someone would be willing to provide temporary shelter for the kid.  As an aside, after several phone calls, a temporary arrangement was found.  The temporary situation ended up lasting longer than initially anticipated and, in fact, eventually led to a guardianship arrangement.  But during this entire process, the kid was not eligible to play and never suited up for a single game. 

For asking the volunteer to make a phone call, Coach Weiner was suspended six games (later reduced to three) and fined $5,000 (or more than a thousand dollars more than his annual stipend for being a head coach). 

So, if you want to say that the coach violated an FHSAA policy (by indirectly assisting in the providing of impermissible benefits), go right ahead.  That's what the FHSAA determined - at least for the time being.   But, before you call the man a cheater, ask yourself one question:  if you were a coach (or a representative of any school's athletic interests) and a kid walked up to you one evening after work-outs and said "Hey, Coach, I don't have anywhere to eat or sleep tonight; can you help me?" what would you do?  If you can honestly say that you would look the kid in the eyes and say "Sorry, kid, I can't help you," then feel free to cast the first stone.  Otherwise, be thankful you've never been put in this no-win situation. 

Bad situation.  Rule needs to be changed.  Coaches are here to help kids Believe it or not it happened to my family and we took the kid in no questions asked.  It wasn’t about football it was about saving a kid.  If you  Turn us in we might have to forfeit the 1981 and 1982 season.  Problem is if they change the rule too many people would take advantage of the rule.

I wouldn’t have brought it up if a Plant person didn’t accuse Armwood of cheating.  If I was Plant I would worry about Plant right now.  Or keep casting stones at Armwood.  heck it use to be a good rivalry.  Hope one day it comes back

14 minutes ago, badbird said:

Bad situation.  Rule needs to be changed.  Coaches are here to help kids Believe it or not it happened to my family and we took the kid in no questions asked.  It wasn’t about football it was about saving a kid.  If you  Turn us in we might have to forfeit the 1981 and 1982 season.  Problem is if they change the rule too many people would take advantage of the rule.

I wouldn’t have brought it up if a Plant person didn’t accuse Armwood of cheating.  If I was Plant I would worry about Plant right now.  Or keep casting stones at Armwood.  heck it use to be a good rivalry.  Hope one day it comes back

Your public forum secret is safe with me.  :D

Trust me, the coaches and players at Plant are only concerned with Plant.  It's been a humbling year for the Panthers.  That said, it is somewhat frustrating for Plant fans to see other nearby schools like Armwood and Lakeland prospering under the new free-agency rules when Plant is not able to play by the same rules (because of capacity).  It makes it an even tougher pill to swallow when stud athletes at neighboring schools talk about being reached out to by other area schools.  And it's not all just on social media.  Bottom line, to your point, Plant is trying to work on the things they can control in hopes that there might be a back door into the playoffs.