20 Teams on the Rise

OldSchoolLion

I have heard a fair amount of negativity this year about the state of hs football in Florida.  No doubt some of our traditional powers may be underperforming.  And a few have downright crashed.  I would offer that the performance of a relative few (relative to the hundreds of programs in FL) does not make or break a season.  

There are a number of programs whose performance appears to be trending upward over the past 5 or so years.  I have listed some below.  I find this very exciting and encouraging.  Possibly we are simply seeing more parity today than we have in the recent past.  

Look at the parity in college football today.  It makes for exciting viewing.  I remember years ago when there was worry about some of the traditional NCAA powers faltering.  Who would have dreamed we would see some of the traditional doormats actually competing like they do today?.  Likewise, maybe we are at the start of a transition time in high school football and ultimately a changing of the guard.        

7A Bloomingdale

7A Crestview

6A Dillard

7A Edgewater

6A Gaither

5A Jones

6A Lake Gibson

5A Lake Wales

6A Lee

8A Mandarin

8A Miami Palmetto

7A Palm Beach Lakes

8A Palm Coast

6A Palmetto

7A Plantation

5A Rockledge

8A Steinbrenner

5A Vanguard

8A Western

7A Wiregrass Ranch

I am not claiming any of the above are elite, world-beaters, or whatever term you want to use.  I am simply saying that they appear to be performing at a consistently higher level of late than in the past.

22 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

I have heard a fair amount of negativity this year about the state of hs football in Florida.  No doubt some of our traditional powers may be underperforming.  And a few have downright crashed.  I would offer that the performance of a relative few (relative to the hundreds of programs in FL) does not make or break a season.  

There are a number of programs whose performance appears to be trending upward over the past 5 or so years.  I have listed some below.  I find this very exciting and encouraging.  Possibly we are simply seeing more parity today than we have in the recent past.  

Look at the parity in college football today.  It makes for exciting viewing.  I remember years ago when there was worry about some of the traditional NCAA powers faltering.  Who would have dreamed we would see some of the traditional doormats actually competing like they do today?.  Likewise, maybe we are at the start of a transition time in high school football and ultimately a changing of the guard.        

7A Bloomingdale

7A Crestview

6A Dillard

7A Edgewater

6A Gaither

5A Jones

6A Lake Gibson

5A Lake Wales

6A Lee

8A Mandarin

8A Miami Palmetto

7A Palm Beach Lakes

8A Palm Coast

6A Palmetto

7A Plantation

5A Rockledge

8A Steinbrenner

5A Vanguard

8A Western

7A Wiregrass Ranch

I am not claiming any of the above are elite, world-beaters, or whatever term you want to use.  I am simply saying that they appear to be performing at a consistently higher level of late than in the past.

If no one else has said it, I will.  Some teams have absolutely no business playing out of state and the results reflect that.  We have so many teams, more than I recall 5+ years ago playing OOS against other state/national powers and for what? Is it to make a name for themselves? Is it to level up competition because Florida lacks that, LOL?

Anyways....  I’n glad to see Lake Wales and Lake Gibson making some noise.  How far they go as the season continues remains to be seen but nonetheless, I’m still happy to see some other Polk County Schools heading into the playoffs full steam ahead.  The big shocker for me is most definitely Bloomingdale.  Back in the day, that was known as an easy win for... everybody.   

23 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Look how many of the teams identified in the original post are playing for regional titles(bolded).  This simply strengthens the case that these are indeed programs on the rise.   

All I know is Madison county elite forever. 1a football is trash. And Madison county would smash alll those teams

On 10/20/2019 at 7:16 PM, Nulli Secundus said:

If no one else has said it, I will.  Some teams have absolutely no business playing out of state and the results reflect that.  We have so many teams, more than I recall 5+ years ago playing OOS against other state/national powers and for what? Is it to make a name for themselves? Is it to level up competition because Florida lacks that, LOL?

Anyways....  I’n glad to see Lake Wales and Lake Gibson making some noise.  How far they go as the season continues remains to be seen but nonetheless, I’m still happy to see some other Polk County Schools heading into the playoffs full steam ahead.  The big shocker for me is most definitely Bloomingdale.  Back in the day, that was known as an easy win for... everybody.   

I think some coaches see out of state games a reward for their players. Many of these players have never traveled outside the state of Florida. I just wish they would be more sensible in the level of competition they schedule out of state; they should not be scheduling national programs.

54 minutes ago, Jimmyb1980 said:

You should add Lake Minneola to that list...heck of a turn around from a few years ago

2014 4-6

2015 6-4

2016 1-9

2017 5-5

2018 5-5

2019 9-3 currently with 10-12 transfers in a weak region

Lake Minneola is a good team this year.  They have a chance to make it to the state semi finals and maybe even the finals in a weak North 6A.   However they don't belong on this list.  Is this a one year wonder with lots of transfers or do they keep it up?  We will see next year.  They lose lots of talent.  Will they go out and get more transfers next year to replenish their losses?