Lake Mary at Apopka - Final Apopka 45-11

DarterBlue2

The winner and automatic playoff qualifier from 8a, Region 1, District 4 will be decided this Friday when Lake Mary comes to Apopka. Currently Apopka is 4-0 in the district and Lake Mary is 3-1. To a degree, Lake Mary has more at stake as if they lose the game, there is a significant chance they may not make the playoffs. For Apopka a loss, especially if they beat Wekiva in their final game of the season, still leaves them in a good position to make the playoffs. It just means they would have to travel from game one. 

Looking at the records of both teams, Apopka has been more impressive than Lake Mary. However, given what is at stake, records probably go out the window. Also, Lake Mary has an impressive sophomore QB who has a quick release and a good deep ball. So, I don't see this game as a sure win for Apopka. 

With that said, I am going to go with the Darters winning a close game by 7. The lower scoring the game is, the better Apopka's chances in my opinion. I think the final score will be Apopka 17, Lake Mary 10. If the winner scores more than 30, then I think LM may pull the upset.   

It was 12-3 at the half and 18-5 at the end of the third quarter and looking like a typical Apopka game this year (stout defense and limited offense). Then in the final quarter, Apopka scored 27 and Lake Mary 7 to make the final score 45-11. 

For most of the game, the Lake Mary defense limited Apopka's offense, though Apopka was able to to score three touchdowns on two big runs by the QB, Lohman and a nice pass by him to number 4 (Harrington?). In the final quarter the wheels fell off for Lake Mary partly due to desperation on their part, and partly due to some more big plays by Apopka.

Thoughts: Apopka's defense will keep them in games aside from those against truly elite teams. However, the offense is a work in progress and at this stage is probably good for no more than three scores against good to very good teams. By the same token, at this late stage of the season, no 8A team in the entire state has stood out as elite. So, it should be interesting to see what this team can do in the post season. If I were a betting man, I would say second or, at best, third round. But we will let it play out. 

7 minutes ago, badbird said:

8A is weak overall.  No great teams lots

of good teams

I agree. Several good teams, no great (or arguably even very good teams). At this stage it looks wide open and will probably come down to match-ups in the playoffs. 

If Edgewater were still in 8A, they would be my favorite to represent the north bracket. Unfortunately for them, they have a very difficult path in 7A with one of Lakeland or Armwood in the semis (assuming they win region 1) and St. Thomas in the final if they can win the their semi.

10 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

Who are your biggest threats to a title 

In the Region, Seminole and Bartram Trail; In the semis, if Apopka gets that far, Dr. Phillips, Osceola or Steinbrenner. In the state game, I am guessing one of: Deerfield Beach, Palmetto, or Vero Beach. If you look at the list, there are no world beaters in that group. For while DB has the players with the stars, they have not looked like world beaters and the others are probably all good, but not great teams.

8 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

In the Region, Seminole and Bartram Trail; In the semis, if Apopka gets that far, Dr. Phillips or Steinbrenner. In the state game, I am guessing one of: Deerfield Beach, Palmetto, or Vero Beach. If you look at the list, there are no world beaters in that group. For while DB has the players with the stars, they have not looked like world beaters and the others are probably all good, but not great teams.

I don’t dfb getting there I can palmetto or south dade representing the south