You make the Call

LakelandGator

They called holding on #77.  The white hat must have thrown the flag.  The kid on the ground holds his hands up then appears happy.  

That's a tough call.  It's on the goal line and the kid is low and slants hard inside.  The tackle down blocks him and his hand on his chest.  Almost need to flipper block it.  It didn't look to me like a hold.  If I'm Bartow I'm pissed.  If I'm the WH coach and watch it on film I'm not even mad if they don't call it a hold.  I'm more mad my LB's didn't fill.

Last comment what was the wing doing #17 for Bartow?  He wanted no part of that.  They might need to find a new wing to block.

8 minutes ago, badbird said:

They called holding on #77.  The white hat must have thrown the flag.  The kid on the ground holds his hands up then appears happy.  

That's a tough call.  It's on the goal line and the kid is low and slants hard inside.  The tackle down blocks him and his hand on his chest.  Almost need to flipper block it.  It didn't look to me like a hold.  If I'm Bartow I'm pissed.  If I'm the WH coach and watch it on film I'm not even mad if they don't call it a hold.  I'm more mad my LB's didn't fill.

That's the problem I have also.

WH kid slants inside basically taking himself out of the play.

Bartow #77 is 6'4" 320 and a D1 prospect. 

2 hours ago, LakelandGator said:

That's the problem I have also.

WH kid slants inside basically taking himself out of the play.

Bartow #77 is 6'4" 320 and a D1 prospect. 

Not really. He penetrated the B gap with low pads, which is good goal line technique. He made have been the only one actually playing goal line defense. Wow, the trench play on that play was bad for both sides of the ball. Still the penalty should not have been called. Especially in that situation. No holding on that play. 

1 hour ago, badbird said:

Curse at an official 5 game suspension.  Make a shitty call and cost a team the playoffs you still get paid and work next week.

One play in a game cost that team making the playoffs? Not the previous eight games, or all of the other plays in the game correct? I thought in the other thread,  you claimed that the coach didn't curse at the official?  

26 minutes ago, Just A Coach said:

Jambun from what you seen on the video, would you have called holding on that specific play? If not, why? If so, why?

I will say this, I could understand why Bartow coaches, players, and fans would dislike that foul. However, I am uncomfortable commenting myself on that foul. I would prefer to be closer to the play, and not watching a video from the press box.

Jambun, this plays reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask.  If you watch the end of this play, 77 basically lies down on top of the DT.   Can an offensive lineman lie on top of a defensive player (thus keeping the defensive player pinned to the ground) or is this considered to be holding (even the OL spreads his hands out to make it clear that he's not using his hands to keep the defensive player on the ground)? 

For what it's worth, I had to watch this clip a couple of times to find the guy who I thought the penalty could possibly be called on.  I figured it was 77.  I then watched it a couple more times.   I never saw the hold, but I could see how, in real time, the white hat may have thought he saw the OL pull the DT down to the ground.  All in all, a really bad way to lose a game. 

12 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

One play in a game cost that team making the playoffs? Not the previous eight games, or all of the other plays in the game correct? I thought in the other thread,  you claimed that the coach didn't curse at the official?  

yes one play in this game cost this team from making the playoffs.  If they win that game they win the district and make the playoffs.  Sure if they don't lose the other 3 they still have a chance to make it.  Sure if they score more points in this game they don't lose however they did not so this one play cost them the district title and playoffs.

I have no idea exactly what the coach did or did not say.  The coach admitted he said it was a bull shit call.  Let me tell you this was a bull shit call. 

How pathetic of you to come up with the excuse I don't want to comment because it's film and not live.  You see the film make a decision.  Call out your boys for blowing this call and costing Bartow a district title.  

17 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

On Bartow's previous possession they were at the 2 yard line and had a offensive PI called.(I can't seem to download the video for some reason). It was worse than this holding crap.

You're an obvious "Company guy" so I should not be surprised by your response, but I also think you are one of the better members on this site, and that's saying something.

You just lost some major cred with me.:(

https://twitter.com/CountyPolk

19 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

I will say this, I could understand why Bartow coaches, players, and fans would dislike that foul. However, I am uncomfortable commenting myself on that foul. I would prefer to be closer to the play, and not watching a video from the press box.

I hope you'll consider the possibility that NEVER being willing to acknowledge a bad call by the officials won't actually help officials gain more respect or make it a more appealing gig. It's like the mentality of so many police apologists when someone unarmed gets killed. It's one thing to want to support a group of people who are important. It's another all together to push back against any/all criticism at all times.

12 hours ago, Perspective said:

Jambun, this plays reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask.  If you watch the end of this play, 77 basically lies down on top of the DT.   Can an offensive lineman lie on top of a defensive player (thus keeping the defensive player pinned to the ground) or is this considered to be holding (even the OL spreads his hands out to make it clear that he's not using his hands to keep the defensive player on the ground)? 

For what it's worth, I had to watch this clip a couple of times to find the guy who I thought the penalty could possibly be called on.  I figured it was 77.  I then watched it a couple more times.   I never saw the hold, but I could see how, in real time, the white hat may have thought he saw the OL pull the DT down to the ground.  All in all, a really bad way to lose a game. 

Perspective, that is not necessarily a foul. #77 would be told to get back to his huddle, and if there was any delay on his part, then there might be a dead-ball foul. I don't feel comfortable commenting on a foul from a video from the press box on this message board.

9 hours ago, badbird said:

yes one play in this game cost this team from making the playoffs.  If they win that game they win the district and make the playoffs.  Sure if they don't lose the other 3 they still have a chance to make it.  Sure if they score more points in this game they don't lose however they did not so this one play cost them the district title and playoffs.

I have no idea exactly what the coach did or did not say.  The coach admitted he said it was a bull shit call.  Let me tell you this was a bull shit call. 

How pathetic of you to come up with the excuse I don't want to comment because it's film and not live.  You see the film make a decision.  Call out your boys for blowing this call and costing Bartow a district title.  

My boys? I don't live in Polk County. and what makes you think that I would even know these officials? I am not obligated to "make a decision" just because you think that I should. I don't answer to you, and if you believe that one foul called cost a team a playoff berth, then I don't know what to tell you. I listened to you when you claimed that you were wronged by an official, and even gave you advice how to deal with the situation. However, reading some of your posts on this message board, maybe the official was justified in what he did. I don't know for sure obviously , but you seem exactly like that kind of coach who shows no respect, abut demands it from others.

9 hours ago, badbird said:

He's scared to say the refs blew it and made a bull shit call.  Pathetic response from Jambum.  He will call out coaches but not officials.

I don't recall calling out any coaches. I just commented when others criticized the FHSAA's decision to suspend certain Head Coaches.

4 hours ago, LakelandGator said:

On Bartow's previous possession they were at the 2 yard line and had a offensive PI called.(I can't seem to download the video for some reason). It was worse than this holding crap.

You're an obvious "Company guy" so I should not be surprised by your response, but I also think you are one of the better members on this site, and that's saying something.

You just lost some major cred with me.:(

I am sorry that you feel that way, I happen to think that you are one of the better posters on this message board. I believe that a lot of the attacks on the Lakeland Dreadnaughts are unfair. and I enjoy your reasoned defense of the school and its great Head Coach Bill Castle. As far as being a "company guy" I didn't know that there was a company for officials lol. There are a LOT of bad High School Football officials in the state of Florida, who don't belong on the football field on a Thursday or Friday night. However, at this time. there is a huge shortage of officials statewide. Somebody has to officiate these games.

16 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

My boys? I don't live in Polk County. and what makes you think that I would even know these officials? I am not obligated to "make a decision" just because you think that I should. I don't answer to you, and if you believe that one foul called cost a team a playoff berth, then I don't know what to tell you. I listened to you when you claimed that you were wronged by an official, and even gave you advice how to deal with the situation. However, reading some of your posts on this message board, maybe the official was justified in what he did. I don't know for sure obviously , but you seem exactly like that kind of coach who shows no respect, abut demands it from others.

Yup you don’t owe me nothing and you have showed me what kind of official you are.  Someone who holds a grudge and instead of officiating the game fairly let’s emotions play into and takes it out on the kids.  In 20 years of coaching football I believe I have gotten one 15 yard penalty.  I have lots of respect for officials just very little for one that post on this board.

Someone asked your professional opinion but instead of stating what should have been called you pussed out.  

No need to tell me anything that one call cost them the playoffs.  

You asked what happened and I told you.  I don’t need or want your advice.  So don’t act like you did me a favor.

1 hour ago, skyway said:

I hope you'll consider the possibility that NEVER being willing to acknowledge a bad call by the officials won't actually help officials gain more respect or make it a more appealing gig. It's like the mentality of so many police apologists when someone unarmed gets killed. It's one thing to want to support a group of people who are important. It's another all together to push back against any/all criticism at all times.

Skyway, I don't feel comfortable commentating about a foul called by an official on this message board. Also, I do NOT want to be compared to a police apologist. I believe that all public servants, teachers, police, politicians, government workers, anybody who collects a taxpayer-funded check is accountable, and has to answer to the public. You and I might not belong to the same political party, but you will find that I would agree with you on unarmed civilians being shot and possibly killed. I am often just appalled by these actions by police as many so called "liberals."

7 minutes ago, badbird said:

Yup you don’t owe me nothing and you have showed me what kind of official you are.  Someone who holds a grudge and instead of officiating the game fairly let’s emotions play into and takes it out on the kids.

Someone asked your professional opinion but instead of stating what should have been called you pussed out.  

No need to tell me anything that one called cost them the playoffs.  

Badbird, I am sorry that you feel that way. I take pride in what I do, and I would never ask you to criticize another football coach's decisions. I wonder if there is ever any way that you and I can sit down man-to-man in person, and have a discussion. There are many topics that I would love to discuss with you, that I am just not comfortable talking about on this message board. I have a lot of respect for many High School Coaches in the state, and when I was in college, I wanted to become a High School Football Coach. It is obvious from your posts, that you took a lot of pride, in being the best coach that you could be, and I am sure that you cared greatly about the children in your care.

Just now, Jambun82 said:

Badbird, I am sorry that you feel that way. I take pride in what I do, and I would never ask you to criticize another football coach's decisions. I wonder if there is ever any way that you and I can sit down man-to-man in person, and have a discussion. There are many topics that I would love to discuss with you, that I am just not comfortable talking about on this message board. I have a lot of respect for many High School Coaches in the state, and when I was in college, I wanted to become a High School Football Coach. It is obvious from your posts, that you took a lot of pride, in being the best coach that you could be, and I am sure that you cared greatly about the children in your care.

If a coach was wrong I would say it.  We have lots of bad coaches that aren’t in it for the kids or aren’t teaching the right lessons. Coach Pettis was wrong to curse and got himself ejected.  He deserved a one game suspension.  The fhsaa has suspended coaches and kids this year for 5 games for things that use to be one game and should be one game.  

Officials are humans.  They are going to blow calls.  They are going to react in ways they shouldn’t at times.  Just like coaches are going to.  

25 minutes ago, badbird said:

If a coach was wrong I would say it.  We have lots of bad coaches that aren’t in it for the kids or aren’t teaching the right lessons. Coach Pettis was wrong to curse and got himself ejected.  He deserved a one game suspension.  The fhsaa has suspended coaches and kids this year for 5 games for things that use to be one game and should be one game.  

Officials are humans.  They are going to blow calls.  They are going to react in ways they shouldn’t at times.  Just like coaches are going to.  

Badbird, that doesn't matter to me of you would or would not criticize a coach. The fact is that I would never ask you to criticize a coach, just like I am asking you not to ask me to criticize an official's foul call. I do not know the circumstances of the foul in the Bartow-Winter Haven game and I feel that it would be unfair to comment on the specific foul and penalty.

21 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

I am sorry that you feel that way, I happen to think that you are one of the better posters on this message board. I believe that a lot of the attacks on the Lakeland Dreadnaughts are unfair. and I enjoy your reasoned defense of the school and its great Head Coach Bill Castle. As far as being a "company guy" I didn't know that there was a company for officials lol. There are a LOT of bad High School Football officials in the state of Florida, who don't belong on the football field on a Thursday or Friday night. However, at this time. there is a huge shortage of officials statewide. Somebody has to officiate these games.

1. Let me walk back my comment a little because I'm not attacking you personally.

2. I just feel there has to be more accountability for the stripes. Yeah it's only a game but so much is invested by the players, coaches, schools, fans, etc. even at the HS level.

Do you get a chance to see Polk County games? I can't imagine many crews statewide as poor as the ones in my area. They really are that bad. I wish I had an answer to this problem.:(