14 Columbia vs 7 Ponte Vedra Final

DisabledAccount

23 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

A tough first round for Columbia. Ponte Verdra lost by 2 points to undefeated 8A Bartram Trail. However, what was that loss to Creekside by 28-7? Did they hold out their top players in lieu of the playoffs?

Best of luck Columbiafan. Hope you guys win it.

I'm gonna guess they probably did looking at some of their other results

I haven't seen film on them yet but I'll probably look for some soon, but from maxpreps it seems they won't be as run oriented as Atlantic or North Marion which may help us hold off some our recent issues that have cost us games and after a incident at last game playing on road may be better for us

Ponte Vedra has 4 additional close games, 2 against some pretty bad teams and 2 against 2 decent squads

21-14 over 1-9 Nease
33-29 over 2-7 Palatka
14-10 over 7-2 Menendez 
38-35 over 6-4 St Augustine

They have 3 blowout wins, 2 over some very bad teams and 1 average one

40-7 over 5-5 Zepherhills
35-0  over 3-7 Matanzas
61-6  over 2-8 Englewood

Opponent wise Columbia tier wise is likely closer to Bartram than Menendez and St Augustine but maybe not as good as Bartram (at least the last month, at beginning of season i would have argued Columbia was better than Bartram)

1 hour ago, shredstar said:

If I were Columbia I'd take this all day.  Why go to the backyard and face those "demons" right out of the gate?  St. Augustine is plenty capable of taking out Lee, which would be even better.

Only I know we can beat Lee and I personally feel we need that win because if we make finals without knocking off Lee they will always think that we only went deep because we lucked out playing them

We need to prove to ourselves we can beat them in the backyard

1 hour ago, shredstar said:

If I were Columbia I'd take this all day.  Why go to the backyard and face those "demons" right out of the gate?  St. Augustine is plenty capable of taking out Lee, which would be even better.

And personally after how last game ended i feel we have a better chance of winning if we stay on the road

I can see that.  Some do their best work away from home.  I don't know what it is about Lee.  Their field is so poorly maintained that it gives them some sort of advantage or something.  Went there this year for the first time since I was in school, which was a loooooooong time ago.  Hasn't changed one bit.  

9 minutes ago, shredstar said:

I can see that.  Some do their best work away from home.  I don't know what it is about Lee.  Their field is so poorly maintained that it gives them some sort of advantage or something.  Went there this year for the first time since I was in school, which was a loooooooong time ago.  Hasn't changed one bit.  

I was told that apparently it gets so bad because they use the field for everything

Football games

Football practice

Soccer games

Soccer practice

And well you get the idea, honestly surprised it has never been deemed as unplayable by any officials because that pit field is a safety hazard

28 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I was told that apparently it gets so bad because they use the field for everything

Football games

Football practice

Soccer games

Soccer practice

And well you get the idea, honestly surprised it has never been deemed as unplayable by any officials because that pit field is a safety hazard

Yes.  Not like there is a whole lot of room for anything else.  Their little field is literally in people's backyards.  Always been that way.

I believe that many of the SW Florida schools went to field turf after the string of hurricanes that came through in the mid 2000s. It has been almost a decade with the FIeldTurf, any thoughts from those schools down there?

Again, the answer is always going to be, more money, however that money is found is a different story.