Plant Panthers Miss Playoffs

bayboy97

Imagine if they didn’t play Gonzaga and take the guaranteed ass whooping that comes with it. And they played a more manageable team to finish 5-5. 

The point going forward should be not to take guaranteed ass stompings because they could keep you from the playoffs. 

The ass drilling’s however will let you know you have no shot at state anyways so it all doesn’t matter 

Plant blew out the shit teams and got blown out by the good teams. They had a close loss to Gaither. Their only close game

Plant didn't deserve the playoffs. Lake Nona isn't good either, but they played a slightly easier schedule that allowed them to win a few more games.

8A is weak, and any team that gets in has a shot.

2 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Plant blew out the shit teams and got blown out by the good teams. They had a close loss to Gaither. They're only close game

Plant didn't deserve the playoffs. Lake Nona isn't good either, but they played a slightly easier schedule that allowed them to win a few more games.

Why? Because there isn't a nationally elite team (top 25 nationally) in the class

Outside of 7a what class has better depth than 8a this year?

5 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Plant blew out the shit teams and got blown out by the good teams. They had a close loss to Gaither. They're only close game

I'll quibble with you a little JD (a/k/a 181).  I'd call the Bloomingdale loss a close game too (Plant was down 9-8 at the half and 16-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter; anyone's game until Bloomingdale got another TD in the 4th to win 22-10).

Nolebull, if you were to ask the Plant coaches if they considered the Gonzaga game to be a "guaranteed ass whooping" when the schedules were made, I suspect you'd get some push-back.  A tough game against a very good opponent?  Sure. Much like 2010 when they played and lost to nationally ranked Abilene on the way to a state championship appearance and runner-up finish.  I can assure you they had much higher expectations going into this season.  The out of state games are great experiences for the kids, but Plant plays those games to win.  Plant held their own against Gonzaga in the first half, giving up a late first-half TD to go into half time down 14-7.   In the second half, Gonzaga wore Plant down and won going away.  It's my understanding that Plant will get another crack at them next year, this time in Tampa.  Hopefully, that game won't cost Plant a playoff spot again. 

JD, back to you for some more quibbling.   I have nothing against Lake Nona, but to say "they played a slightly easier schedule" does a disservice to the word "slightly."  As best I can tell, they played exactly one team who made the playoffs:  Osceola Kissimmee, who beat them out for the 8A District 6 title.  They did not beat a team with a winning record.  I don't know how much value there is in the MaxPreps ratings, but Lake Nona comes in a 179 in the state. 

Plant, on the other hand, played (and lost) their first six games against teams that made (or in the case of Gonzaga, will make) the state playoffs.  And, for what it's worth, MaxPreps has Plant ranked 37 points higher than Nona, at 142. 

I understand the argument that a team that does not have a winning record doesn't deserve to make the playoffs, but the state obviously decided that RPI was more important.  And, when the numbers came out, Lake Nona was three thousandths of a point higher.  I did notice two interesting things though:  first, Gonzaga's season isn't over yet.  They have one more game which if they win (tough opponent, but my money would be on Gonzaga), would improve Plant's OWP.  Second, according to MaxPreps, one of the team in Lake Nona's district, Freedom (Orlando), has only played 9 games and is scheduled to play a make-up game (from August 30th) this Friday night.  Granted they are playing another weak team (Windemere), but if Freedom loses that game, that would adversely affect Lake Nona's OWP.   I don't know why that game could not have been made up earlier in the season.  As the FHSAA points out, every game counts. 

In the end, as I've said several times before, this is largely an academic argument.  As you saw Friday night, Plant is better than they were a month ago, but probably still not good enough to make a playoff run.   I'm sure Sarasota Riverview would have been favored by quite a few points, but I suspect Plant would have given them a run for their money.  Hopefully, Lake Nona can "rep the 8 seed spot" and do the same thing.

Perspective, your elegant post is missing one key factor. Plant did not beat anyone on their schedule with a pulse. They blew the game against B-Dale (how many red zone turnovers?) and got boat raced by Armwood, Tech, Gonzaga, and Steinbrenner. Had a back and forth tussle with Gaither, who pulled away when it mattered.  The bottom line is that this was a bad football team.

On offense, how many drops? I'd bet near 50. On defense, they were constantly gashed by mediocre backs because of poor tackling and lack of want to. Their corners also played 10-12 yards off the ball and every good team they played took big advantage of this, resulting in lots of easy first downs. Add in the YAC after a lot of those receptions and Plant's D was literally non-existent in some of those games.

We have a goofy system in place to determine the playoffs for non-district winner. I've said all along that if the districts are large enough, we don't need formulas and trickery. It all comes out in the wash if the districts are good sized.

1 minute ago, peezy28 said:

Steinbrenners loss got them booted... That and the team they played in DC last game is next week... Had Gonzaga played and won this week plant gets in... the margin was like 000002% or something like that lol.

That's a defect in the system as it relates to playing out of state teams which go by a different time period. 

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

Perspective, your elegant post is missing one key factor. Plant did not beat anyone on their schedule with a pulse. They blew the game against B-Dale (how many red zone turnovers?) and got boat raced by Armwood, Tech, Gonzaga, and Steinbrenner. Had a back and forth tussle with Gaither, who pulled away when it mattered.  The bottom line is that this was a bad football team.

On offense, how many drops? I'd bet near 50. On defense, they were constantly gashed by mediocre backs because of poor tackling and lack of want to. Their corners also played 10-12 yards off the ball and every good team they played took big advantage of this, resulting in lots of easy first downs. Add in the YAC after a lot of those receptions and Plant's D was literally non-existent in some of those games.

We have a goofy system in place to determine the playoffs for non-district winner. I've said all along that if the districts are large enough, we don't need formulas and trickery. It all comes out in the wash if the districts are good sized.

I'm just trying to make the argument that one bad team wasn't quite as bad as another bad team at the end of the regular season.  Someone has to fill the 8 seed spot.  I'll stand by my argument that as bad as you may think Plant was this year, the schedule they played was significantly harder than the schedule Lake Nona played (as evidence by the fact that six of Plant's opponents made the playoffs versus one of Lake Nona's), and that as between the two schools, only Plant beat a team with a record above .500 (I don't know if that gives them a pulse or not).  Ultimately, in my 100% biased opinion, Plant is the better team.  I won't quibble (this time) with any of the arguments you have made as to why they may not be a good team this year; again, I'm just trying to make the argument that they're a tad better than another not-so-good/bad team. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

That's a defect in the system as it relates to playing out of state teams which go by a different time period. 

Yes, it is.  An easy fix, mind you, but one that should be made.  Just make it clear that the RPI is determined as of a specific date, regardless of whether out-of-state schools/opponents have finished their regular season schedule or not. 

Just now, Perspective said:

Yes, it is.  An easy fix, mind you, but one that should be made.  Just make it clear that the RPI is determined as of a specific date, regardless of whether out-of-state schools/opponents have finished their regular season schedule or not. 

That would fix it, but not necessarily make it fair. I guess if you are going to schedule out of state, you just need to do so with your eyes wide open, so as to speak. 

11 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Plant didn’t make the playoffs because they lost to the teams with a pulse, and beat the 4 worst teams on their schedule. They didn’t deserve to get in. Don’t get me wrong. There is a lot of teams that don’t deserve it be in. Plant just so happens to be one of them 

So, is "they don't deserve to get in" simply a subjective determination that's made regardless of the number of playoff spots that have to be filled?   If both Plant and Lake Nona 'don't deserve to make the playoffs," who fills the 8th spot?  Do we just give the #1 seed a bye? 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

That would fix it, but not necessarily make it fair. I guess if you are going to schedule out of state, you just need to do so with your eyes wide open, so as to speak. 

Yeah essentially you may not want to schedule out of state opponents whose seasons don't align with your own.

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Darter, do you know anything about this: 

According to MaxPreps, one of the team in Lake Nona's district, Freedom (Orlando), has only played 9 games and is scheduled to play a make-up game (from August 30th) this Friday night (11/8), when everyone who made the playoffs is playing their games.  Granted they are playing another weak team (Windemere), but if Freedom loses that game, that would adversely affect Lake Nona's OWP. 

This could be an even more relevant discussion point, as these two teams have had all season to make up that game.  A Gonzaga win and/or a Freedom loss could have been enough to change the RPI differential. 

11 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Darter, do you know anything about this: 

According to MaxPreps, one of the team in Lake Nona's district, Freedom (Orlando), has only played 9 games and is scheduled to play a make-up game (from August 30th) this Friday night (11/8), when everyone who made the playoffs is playing their games.  Granted they are playing another weak team (Windemere), but if Freedom loses that game, that would adversely affect Lake Nona's OWP. 

This could be an even more relevant discussion point, as these two teams have had all season to make up that game.  A Gonzaga win and/or a Freedom loss could have been enough to change the RPI differential. 

That is news to me and should not have been allowed. The game should either have been played already or it should have been cancelled. Windemere, is a relatively new school participating in the district/playoff system for the first time. They are terrible but so too is Freedom; so who knows what the outcome will be?