The 14 Best First Round Playoff Games

OldSchoolLion

These could be amongst the more competitively matched teams.  What do you think? 

8A Deland @ Timber Creek

8A Spruce Creek @ Bartram Trail

8A Mandarin @ Seminole

8A Palm Coast @ Apopka

8A Newsome @ Steinbrenner

8A South Dade @ Western

7A Wekiva @ Fleming Island

7A Tampa Bay Tech @ Viera

7A Plantation @ Hialeah

6A Pensacola Washington @ Mainland

6A Columbia @ Ponte Vedra

5A N Marion @ Dunnellon

5A Eau Gallie @ Tampa Jesuit

4A Carol City @ Booker T Washington

2 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

These could be amongst the more competitively matched teams.  What do you think? 

8A Deland @ Timber Creek

8A Mandarin @ Seminole

8A Palm Coast @ Apopka

8A South Dade @ Western

7A Plantation @ Hialeah

5A N Marion @ Dunnellon

Personally I don't feel Washington vs Mainland will be that close, maybe it's just a hunch but a close to 7 hour ride on bus and plus Washington getting beat 50-7 to Escambia raised some red flags to me

Lee vs St Augustine the more I look at that matchup the more I think it will be a close one 

Spruce Creek last won a playoff game in 2008.

Palm Coast last won a playoff game in 2007.

Pensacola Washington last won a playoff game in 2006.

Steinbrenner is playing in its first playoff game ever.  They met Newsome last year and won 45-17.

South Dade last played a Broward County team in the playoffs back in 2000 (versus Miramar).

Fort Myers is no lock to beat North Fort Myers.  Winner goes to Dillard probably.  We shall see.  By the way, Naples is going to be very difficult to beat.  East coast teams usually don't go up against a veer option.  I  have been wrong before so let's enjoy this time of  year.

2 hours ago, Wavebb said:

Fort Myers is no lock to beat North Fort Myers.  Winner goes to Dillard probably.  We shall see.  By the way, Naples is going to be very difficult to beat.  East coast teams usually don't go up against a veer option.  I  have been wrong before so let's enjoy this time of  year.

As long as we win we host until the state semis ATLEAST ..but it’s so many ft Myers teams in can you rank them from first to last since u know the schools ... I thought the green waves had a easy 1st round 

15 hours ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Spruce Creek last won a playoff game in 2008.

Palm Coast last won a playoff game in 2007.

Steinbrenner is playing in its first playoff game ever.  They met Newsome last year and won 45-17.

South Dade last played a Broward County team in the playoffs back in 2000 (versus Miramar).

We are hosting our first playoff game ever...

2015 we finished 9-1 and headed to Dr. Phillips as the runner up in our district to Manatee.

We held a lead on Dr. Phillips with 6 minutes left. Our center, hiding the fact he dislocated his shoulder in the 4th, had 2 arrant snaps that both were recovered by DP. They won 30-18. 

Looking forward to a great game tonight!

11 hours ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

As long as we win we host until the state semis ATLEAST ..but it’s so many ft Myers teams in can you rank them from first to last since u know the schools ... I thought the green waves had a easy 1st round 

Not true

Naples would host Dillard if they play in round 3 (considering how Miami Central played against Chaminade and the stuff @MC Rockets Mentioned it wouldn't surprise me if it's Naples vs Dillard in round 3

6 hours ago, Steinbrenner Warriors said:

We are hosting our first playoff game ever...

2015 we finished 9-1 and headed to Dr. Phillips as the runner up in our district to Manatee.

We held a lead on Dr. Phillips with 6 minutes left. Our center, hiding the fact he dislocated his shoulder in the 4th, had 2 arrant snaps that both were recovered by DP. They won 30-18. 

Looking forward to a great game tonight!

Steinbrenner played us tough that night. Solid, disciplined team that didn't make mistakes until the end. A rematch in the regional final would be great!

12 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

The rematch between Lake Wales and Sebring was closer than when they played 3 weeks ago. Final Lake Wales 22 Sebring 21

Polk county fans have overrated Lake Wales horrifically. Might have been best for them to lose tonight. Then they could claim to have taken Sebring lightly (isn't that what they did the last time when it was also really close?) and/or had bad luck. Now, the chances of them facing an American Heritage increase. Won't be fun getting running-clocked...

On 11/6/2019 at 8:55 PM, OldSchoolLion said:

8A Deland @ Timber Creek

8A Mandarin @ Seminole

8A Palm Coast @ Apopka

8A South Dade @ Western

7A Plantation @ Hialeah

5A N Marion @ Dunnellon

I believe I got 12 of the 14 picks correct. The only 2 that I misssed on were my homer picks, Viera and Eau Gallie.

12 hours ago, skyway said:

Polk county fans have overrated Lake Wales horrifically. Might have been best for them to lose tonight. Then they could claim to have taken Sebring lightly (isn't that what they did the last time when it was also really close?) and/or had bad luck. Now, the chances of them facing an American Heritage increase. Won't be fun getting running-clocked...

The last time Lake Wales got to the state championship game they survived a 1st round playoff game with a 1 point win.

18 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

The last time Lake Wales got to the state championship game they survived a 1st round playoff game with a 1 point win.

That was before the "super team" phenomenon was occurring.  This Lake Wales team may be every bit as good or maybe a little better than those mid-90s teams.  And that is very bad news for the Highlanders should they have to face Northwestern, AH or maybe Jones. Those teams are considerably better than Alachua Santa Fe was...

14 minutes ago, skyway said:

That was before the "super team" phenomenon was occurring.  This Lake Wales team may be every bit as good or maybe a little better than those mid-90s teams.  And that is very bad news for the Highlanders should they have to face Northwestern, AH or maybe Jones. Those teams are considerably better than Alachua Santa Fe was...

For the “other” Orange and Black, I hope you’re wrong.

1 minute ago, Nulli Secundus said:

For the “other” Orange and Black, I hope you’re wrong.

I'd be perfectly happy if Lake Wales won a state title. But, they've been laughably overrated. At least relative to the super teams they're being compared with.

The 90s Dreadnaught teams also paled in comparison to the last couple of teams. And not because newer is always better, or because I'm some teenager who thinks all of the teams from yesteryear suck. It's because we're seeing a dramatically more pronounced concentration of talent at a few schools than we've ever seen before. And that's not necessarily a good thing.

2 minutes ago, skyway said:

I'd be perfectly happy if Lake Wales won a state title. But, they've been laughably overrated. At least relative to the super teams they're being compared with.

The 90s Dreadnaught teams also paled in comparison to the last couple of teams. And not because newer is always better, or because I'm some teenager who thinks all of the teams from yesteryear suck. It's because we're seeing a dramatically more pronounced concentration of talent at a few schools than we've ever seen before. And that's not necessarily a good thing.

Of course.  I know that LW & WH battle over talent in even up 27 into HC.  It’s a different day and age.  No matter what Polk has accomplished over the decades, it will be harder (if not impossible) for teams to compete without using “open season” to their advantage.  In the last 25 years, 4 public high schools have opened up with a 5th  coming to Davenport next year.  The homegrown talent is further diluted as Ridge and HC will soon find out.