Let the Games Begin

DarterBlue2

As of now, each playoff team is 0-0. Many are full of hope, some justifiably, some not. During the course of the playoffs, there will be upsets, mistakes (both by the officials and players), and drama. In a few short weeks only 8 teams will be left standing.

But as of today, all teams have a chance and no doubt there will be upsets along the way. Going into last year's playoffs, aside from a few insiders, who would have thought Mandarin would be have won a state title? Yes, most of the titles will be won by favored teams (or at least teams generally thought to be in contention), but a few will be surprises. It is this unpredictability that fuels the drama, leads to the excitement.

Good luck to all the playoff teams in your quest for history! I will be in Daytona for all the large class games.

Just now, DarterBlue2 said:

As of now, each playoff team is 0-0. Many are full of hope, some justifiably, some not. During the course of the playoffs, there will be upsets, mistakes (both by the officials and players), and drama. In a few short weeks only 8 teams will be left standing.

But as of today, all teams have a chance and no doubt there will be upsets along the way. Going into last year's playoffs, aside from a few insiders, who would have thought Mandarin would be have won a state title? Yes, most of the titles will be won by favored teams (or at least teams generally thought to be in contention), but a few will be surprises. It is this unpredictability that fuels the drama, leads to the excitement.

Good luck to all the playoff teams in your quest for history! I will be in Daytona for all the large class games.

Gammmeeee daaayyyyyy!!! It’s a “BLACK OUT” for us tonight at Otis gray memorial stadium last time Dillard wore black jerseys was in 2000 before the older alumni had something to say & had it stopped ...will they return tonight for this home playoff run !??? We will find out... #GoPanthersGo!!!

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Yep.  0-0.  New season.  Always fun when teams begin to mix it up with other teams from completely different areas.  It is all about matchups.  Survive and advance.  The only thing that will surprise me is if we have "all chalk."  The biggest reason Mandarin won the title last year was because they were way more physical than their opponents expected them to be.

11 minutes ago, shredstar said:

Yep.  0-0.  New season.  Always fun when teams begin to mix it up with other teams from completely different areas.  It is all about matchups.  Survive and advance.  The only thing that will surprise me is if we have "all chalk."  The biggest reason Mandarin won the title last year was because they were way more physical than their opponents expected them to be.

With the new system you have teams now playing teams they probably never even heard of or ever played ..like Dillard we never even heard of Lely let alone play em same for ft Myers ‘ Naples ..hot of them two but never played em.

3 minutes ago, THIS_IS_DILLARD said:

With the new system you have teams now playing teams they probably never even heard of or ever played ..like Dillard we never even heard of Lely let alone play em same for ft Myers ‘ Naples ..hot of them two but never played em.

Yep. Which makes trying to predict any outcome of what a group of 15 to 17 year olds will do damn near impossible.  Most people's picks tonight will end up in the same dumpster that their NCAA brackets end up after day one each year.

As for upsets, I really like two of the games that are taking place up here to go to the higher seed. Those are St. Augustine over Lee and Wekiva over Fleming Island.  St. Aug is solid and well coached while Lee is 100 percent erratic.  I am betting the Lee team that lost to Ribault shows up tonight at their dumpster fire of a field.  Fleming Island is completely untested and won a terrible district. They eked out a lot of wins against some average to bad teams. They fall into the category of cup caking their way to 9-0.   Wekiva should be able to handle them.  The rest of the games, I have no idea.  One thing though, I wouldn't discount Mandarin as some have done.  They have a large majority of underclassmen and are not quite as talented as last year, but they are still very physical and CB hasn't forgotten how to throw the ball.  Wouldn't be shocked at all if they went down there and won.  They seem to be very comfortable with traveling down I-4 and winning games.

2 hours ago, shredstar said:

As for upsets, I really like two of the games that are taking place up here to go to the higher seed. Those are St. Augustine over Lee and Wekiva over Fleming Island.  St. Aug is solid and well coached while Lee is 100 percent erratic.  I am betting the Lee team that lost to Ribault shows up tonight at their dumpster fire of a field.  Fleming Island is completely untested and won a terrible district. They eked out a lot of wins against some average to bad teams. They fall into the category of cup caking their way to 9-0.   Wekiva should be able to handle them.  The rest of the games, I have no idea.  One thing though, I wouldn't discount Mandarin as some have done.  They have a large majority of underclassmen and are not quite as talented as last year, but they are still very physical and CB hasn't forgotten how to throw the ball.  Wouldn't be shocked at all if they went down there and won.  They seem to be very comfortable with traveling down I-4 and winning games.

Very true.  Line backers and strong safeties are their strength.  Two just left the house with a breakdown of what defense they are running tonight.   Hopefully the inexperience doesn't ceeep its head up and we have a great battle by both sides. 

On 11/8/2019 at 12:35 PM, shredstar said:

Wow.

“Handle them”....

They sure didn’t do that.... you’re probably a week early on predicting a handling of Fleming Island  but Idk we’ll find out on Friday.

1 minute ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Madison has less than 500 students enrolled. Where would that put them if they played according to numbers? 

Probably 1a. But they are not a 1A school. They game the system with a charter school whose students are still eligible to play for Madison and which servers to reduce numbers. But seriously, even if that enrollment was counted, they probably would not surpass 2a size (certainly would not be 5A). But in terms of talent, they pretty much have a lock on the lowest class. In this situation Gatorman's argument for promotion/demotion system holds currency. 

12 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Probably 1a. But they are not a 1A school. They game the system with a charter school whose students are still eligible to play for Madison and which servers to reduce numbers. But seriously, even if that enrollment was counted, they probably would not surpass 2a size (certainly would not be 5A). But in terms of talent, they pretty much have a lock on the lowest class. In this situation Gatorman's argument for promotion/demotion system holds currency. 

Problem was he said 1a would be exempt from promotion/demotion (which is bullcrap in my opinion)

1 minute ago, Cat_Scratch said:

3A maybe a little high or border line. They do play like a 4A school though.They should choose to play in at least 2A if not 3A.

No actually they are 3a numbers

Trinity Christian is around 490~ and Madison is at 570~

The 1a designation is rural and under 600 enrollment but had that not been in place they would be assigned to 3a

Madison county is right at the 4a/5a cutoff if their bs is removed. The fhsaa shows itself as a corrupt organization by not correcting a clear circumvention of the rules. Congratulations Madison you can beat schools that actually are what 1a is meant to be. Crap like this and the transfer bs is exactly why there is a thread about playoff game attendance.

22 hours ago, Phfootball9 said:

Madison county is right at the 4a/5a cutoff if their bs is removed. The fhsaa shows itself as a corrupt organization by not correcting a clear circumvention of the rules. Congratulations Madison you can beat schools that actually are what 1a is meant to be. Crap like this and the transfer bs is exactly why there is a thread about playoff game attendance.

This is Florida football. The 1A schools can man up or go independent.