Vero vs Deerfield Beach

Jimmyb1980

Vero had a great year...one for the kids to be proud of.  I spent a lot of time watching their games.  They were consistent throughout the season and gave their fans a lot of thrills, I am sure.

There will be some Monday morning qb's who say "if only," ...as in if they had played a tougher schedule they would have been better prepared.  I don't buy it.   They had several close games during the regular season, which is always good to have in your back pocket come playoff time.  They played a talented Chaminade team.  I think they came into the playoffs as well-prepared as any in recent years.

They simply ran into a very strong football team.  Playing a stronger schedule can be helpful at times, but it is not gonna help you when you are facing a team that is on a completely different level.  It's a bit like saying that if guys who lost to Mike Tyson in the ring would have fought better competition in their careers, they could have beaten Tyson.   

Concerning Deerfield, the Bucks are now 9-0 in region title games since 1993.  4 of those wins were on the road.  As much as this team has disappointed over the years, they have done a heck of a lot of winning.  No team in the state has more wins over St Thomas Aquinas.  Knighton is a tough running back.  I was very impressed by him.  

I believe this was Vero's worst FHSAA playoff loss ever at home, and second worst loss of any playoff game, going back to a loss to Lakeland over 30 years ago.  That says a lot for Deerfield's performance.   

I have to say truthfully that’s the most talented team I’ve seen in person in some time...I’m not saying there a IMG or STA but best public high school I’ve seen...no disrespect to Chaminade or even Venice but DB is on a whole other level! Dominant O-line and D-Line, QB who can throw the ball and limited mistakes, and a running back that’s a beast! My nine year old son was at the game and as there warming up looked up at me and said Veros gonna get smashed dad! Guess I should’ve listened to him before the game...Still a very good season for Vero who came a long way this year from spring game to postseason! And a lot of Juniors on this team...just need to reload for next year...good luck DB I would be surprised if they didn’t win 8A 

31 minutes ago, Jimmyb1980 said:

I have to say truthfully that’s the most talented team I’ve seen in person in some time...I’m not saying there a IMG or STA but best public high school I’ve seen...no disrespect to Chaminade or even Venice but DB is on a whole other level! Dominant O-line and D-Line, QB who can throw the ball and limited mistakes, and a running back that’s a beast! My nine year old son was at the game and as there warming up looked up at me and said Veros gonna get smashed dad! Guess I should’ve listened to him before the game...Still a very good season for Vero who came a long way this year from spring game to postseason! And a lot of Juniors on this team...just need to reload for next year...good luck DB I would be surprised if they didn’t win 8A 

Madison county would hang around. For real

56 minutes ago, No nonsense said:

The officiating was a Vero player ejection for allegedly throwing a punch, which sports writer said was not so, and 2 pass interference calls ,one  was a offensive , not sure if that would have made a difference anyway

The offensive PI call was legit. He pushed the Deerfield Beach Cornerback to gain separation. You can see it clear as day on the youtube broadcast. 

There were plenty of calls going both ways. 

Playing in Vero was an incredible experience and their Head Coach is a class act. 35-7 may seem like a walk in the park but Vero is NOT an easy team to prepare for or coach against, they made our defensive staff use their brains. Deerfield is just firing on all cylinders right now and the kids are playing with their hair on fire. Best of luck to Vero Beach going forward. 

1 hour ago, Just A Coach said:

Don't respond Jimmyb....Its a trap:lol:

I had a problem with the 2nd “ghost punch” in consecutive weeks that kicked out a player...calls that big need to only be called if there is no doubt that a punch was thrown not a “I think”....also I didn’t agree with targeting call were he clearly led with shoulder and a bunch of no calls on holding etc etc not called....it seemed the refs were somehow afraid they were gonna somehow lose control of the game and called it tighter than I think either team would have liked

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

DB was the best team VB has seen this year....and this includes the 7 on 7 season with national competition, and  FCA Football camp  They should be your next 8A State Champion.  

We did not line up very well.  

I thought after the Vero-TC game I instructed you to keep Vero lined up properly for the Deerfield game. Well it looks like you you failed your assignment. You have to do better next season. Well that was quite an arse kicking. DB IS the toughest team Vero has faced in years, and I expect DB to take the state title. They had just too many talented players compared to ours. Their running back was outstanding. Vero has a great team, but Deerfield is a level above. As the saying goes, we will have to wait until next year !

1 hour ago, CoachMacho said:

Playing in Vero was an incredible experience and their Head Coach is a class act. 35-7 may seem like a walk in the park but Vero is NOT an easy team to prepare for or coach against, they made our defensive staff use their brains. Deerfield is just firing on all cylinders right now and the kids are playing with their hair on fire. Best of luck to Vero Beach going forward. 

Coach,

I wanted to say how impressive the Bucks were last night. Vero has been exiting the 2nd or 3rd round for years, but I’ve always felt they were in the game and if a play or two had gone their way, it could have been different.

Last night this was not the case, you guys were simply on another level and Vero struggled just to avoid a running clock. Best of next week against Columbus and moving forward. 

30 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Coach,

I wanted to say how impressive the Bucks were last night. Vero has been exiting the 2nd or 3rd round for years, but I’ve always felt they were in the game and if a play or two had gone their way, it could have been different.

Last night this was not the case, you guys were simply on another level and Vero struggled just to avoid a running clock. Best of next week against Columbus and moving forward. 

Completely agree on that! 

1 hour ago, Drogo said:

Coach,

Thank you. Yall are a class act program and wish yall nothing but the best. 

By far the hardest offense I've had to prepare for all year in terms of scheme. 

7 hours ago, No nonsense said:

The officiating was a Vero player ejection for allegedly throwing a punch, which sports writer said was not so, and 2 pass interference calls ,one  was a offensive , not sure if that would have made a difference anyway

No nonsense, thank you for answering, but I wouldn't put much stock in what a sports writer had to say. Also, remember that the reason the NFHS took away the automatic first down for DPI, and the loss-of-down for OPI several years ago was because with the advent of more of the passing game in high school football, the rules committee felt that the more subtle grabs, tugs, arm bars, or general restrictions that might not have been called a foul before are to be called more as a foul now. Was there anything specific about the two pass interference foul calls that you disagreed with?

6 hours ago, CoachMacho said:

The offensive PI call was legit. He pushed the Deerfield Beach Cornerback to gain separation. You can see it clear as day on the youtube broadcast. 

There were plenty of calls going both ways. 

CoachMacho, thank you for your point-of-view, and all the best to you and your team going forward.

5 hours ago, Jimmyb1980 said:

I had a problem with the 2nd “ghost punch” in consecutive weeks that kicked out a player...calls that big need to only be called if there is no doubt that a punch was thrown not a “I think”....also I didn’t agree with targeting call were he clearly led with shoulder and a bunch of no calls on holding etc etc not called....it seemed the refs were somehow afraid they were gonna somehow lose control of the game and called it tighter than I think either team would have liked

Jimmyb1980, thank you very much for answering my question. Also, thank you very much for your very through  analysis. You make a great point when you bring up the fact that only a clear and unmistakable attempt at a punch thrown is an ejectable offense, nothing less. The officials very well might have called the game a little tighter than usual for fear of losing control of the game. There might have been something that happened either in the days leading up to the game or in the pregame itself that warranted that.  

22 hours ago, Jimmyb1980 said:

I literally felt like the officials called the game like they were tight or a younger crew...just not the kind of officiating I’m used too...and I’m one that doesn’t complain about refs....for what they are paid per game god bless em...I wouldn’t take the criticism regardless of the outcomes 

Thank you again for answering my questions Jimmyb1980.