Regional Finals

Perspective

In looking at the 32 Regional Finals match-ups, I noticed three things of interest:

1.  Only roughly a third of the games (11 of 32, to be precise) will feature a #1 vs. #2 matchup. 

2.  The #1 seed will be playing in about two-thirds of the games (23 of 32).  In the remaining nine regions, the top seed already has been knocked off. 

3.  Three of the Regional Final games will feature a #5 seed, while an impressive six of the games (include two of the 5A games) will see a #6 seed playing for the title.  It will be a tough road for all six of these 6th seeded teams, as each one of them squares off against a #1 seed.  

2 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Based on what you posted, overall, the RPI did a decent job of identifying the number 1 seeds. However, a number of 5 and 6 seeds seem to have been underrated by RPI. Equally interesting is that no 7 or 8 seed has made it this far if I am reading your post correctly. 

Problem could have been FHSAA guaranteeing a top four seed to district champions. For instance, in 5A, Region 2, the 3 & 4 seeds were a joke. They should have been the 7 & 8 seeds. District champ should be guaranteed a spot in playoffs, but no way they should be guaranteed a seed in top half of bracket.

3 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Based on what you posted, overall, the RPI did a decent job of identifying the number 1 seeds. However, a number of 5 and 6 seeds seem to have been underrated by RPI. Equally interesting is that no 7 or 8 seed has made it this far if I am reading your post correctly. 

Darter, you are correct.  No 7's or 8's made it to the finals. 

23 minutes ago, HornetFan said:

Problem could have been FHSAA guaranteeing a top four seed to district champions. For instance, in 5A, Region 2, the 3 & 4 seeds were a joke. They should have been the 7 & 8 seeds. District champ should be guaranteed a spot in playoffs, but no way they should be guaranteed a seed in top half of bracket.

I don't have a problem with making the four district winners within a region the top 4 seeds.  It not only guarantees that a district winner makes the playoffs, but also guarantees them a first round home game.