Coaching Changes

gatorman-uf

This topic really peaks my interest. I am wondering the following:

*Who is the highest paid High School Head Football Coach in the state?

*In the public schools does a football coach also have to be a teacher?

*In private schools are there football coaches that are not also teachers?

*Are many assistant football coaches not paid at all?

Curious to see some of the answers.

:unsure:

1 minute ago, Proseteye said:

I believe Bay County and Walton pay their coaches as Athletic Directors/Administrators so they get paid the best.

This is an article from summer 2016 about the pay... i doubt much has changed... https://www.gainesville.com/sports/20160717/supplemental-pay-for-head-coaches-in-all-67-florida-counties

Another article from same year... https://www.news4jax.com/sports/2019/07/29/sad-state-of-pay-florida-high-school-coaches-earn-little-compared-to-others/#fl-ga-interactive

2 hours ago, Proseteye said:

Okaloosa County pays the best.  They are Athletic Directors and get admin pay.  Matt Brunson Baker is probably one of the highest paid in Florida.  

They do not have to be teacher but most are.  I'm not sure if anyone in public school is off campus but they could be.  

Most assistant football coaches are paid but quite a few do not get paid.   Most public schools are allowed between 7-10 paid spots. We had 2-3 not paid at our school last year.

Somehow I don't get it. What entity is responsible for paying football coaches? Is it the Federal government, State government, or County government? If it is in fact a government entity how in the world does Georgia pay so high and Florida pays so low? What about the proceeds from the games themselves? What about the proceeds from the Boosters? I am very curious to know how the salaries are for Florida football coaches in the private and parochial schools. Is the inequity the same between Florida and Georgia the same for the privates as it is for the publics? In the last analysis what would have to be done to change the status quo for Florida? Outside of football we have a real problem in Florida with how little teachers are paid. I can't believe that a teacher with a Masters Degree makes equal to or less than a common laborer with little education. Bill Bennett, Secretary of Education from 1985 to 1989, famously stated that if the starting salary for teachers was $100,000 per year ( and we are talking about in1985 dollars) then the US would have the best teachers in the world. We would have top people in their professions, from all over the world, lining up for teaching jobs. Sadly No one took Mr. Bennett seriously.

Local Control and Local Decisions (both in Georgia and Florida). It is a hard sell to both school boards and unions to pay a teacher less than 40K and then turn around a pay a football coach 65K for being a "coach," especially when principals and schools are graded not on how good a football program is, but whether the school is an A, B, C, D, or F.

Florida as a whole does not support extracurriculars because the people living in the communities haven't been there long. We are a transient state. All the counties that we listed as top pay (Okaloose, Bay, Walton) are panhandle counties. Counties where people have lived in them forever. Where grandma's grandma lived.

As a whole, I wonder what percentage of coaches take leadership roles in their local union and push for higher supplements (even if it was incremental of $100 a year). A lot of the unions seem to be led by elementary school teachers who have little experience with the value/importance of coaches. 

As for gate...
Let's think costs first...
1) Referees: $65 x 5 = $325 per game plus travel stipends
2) Security: $20 x 3 hours x 5 officers = $300 per game
3) Ticket Takers: $25 per game per individual (maybe 6 people): $150 per game
4) Line the Field: $100-200 in supplies per game

$875 per game (and this is a VERY conservative number). 

Start adding in:
New Jerseys/Pants (once every 2 years) ($140 for a set?) x 80 players
Helmets Refurbished every year and replaced every XX years.
Practice Gear
Balls
Pre-Game Meals
HUDL Account
Coach Polos/Outfits
Practice Equipment (tackling dummies, blocking sledds, chutes). 

I wish school districts would understand that if you want these boys and girls to representatives of your community than you should pay for them to be just that. Basic equipment and costs should be covered by the school districts. Teams should have to fund raise just in hopes having enough money to travel to a game or hire referees or get jerseys. 

If you look at Marion County, they have a different situation where all team sports are paid the same as football coaches (except soccer and volleyball). The number has been $5,000 since 2007 and I willing to bet the reason why the basketball coach and the football coach are equal has to do with the work the Vanguard Basketball Coach Haley did in creating a program and pushing for higher pay. 

4 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Only 6 schools missing a head coach from what I can tell. If there are other schools that have new coaches let me know. We are currently at 12.4% turnover.

1. Cocoa Beach
  2. Coconut Creek
  3. Hamilton County
  4. Hialeah Miami Lakes
  5. Oasis
  6. Space Coast (Melbourne)

Space Coast in Melbourne? I thought that Space Coast High School was in Port St. John, just south of Titusville.

As May 15th, we have a minimum of 78 positions open (some still unfilled and if they are filled please let me know) which at a minimum is 14.1% of the 550 schools that played football in Florida last year. 

I am sure I am missing teams that replaced head coaches, if so let me know. 

• 1 month later...