Steinbrenner v Apopka

181pl

Not a lot of chatter about this one. Although APK has pedigree and history on it's side, and home field advantage, Stein has gone on the road and put down Sar. Riverview and Dr. P in good games. I think they have punchers chance, but they haven't run across an offense like APK runs. But Stein's O us wide open and has decent speed in spots, especially with Silas. I expect a close game.

Darter?? Have u had a chance to check out Stein?

5 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Not a lot of chatter about this one. Although APK has pedigree and history on it's side, and home field advantage, Stein has gone on the road and put down Sar. Riverview and Dr. P in good games. I think they have punchers chance, but they haven't run across an offense like APK runs. But Stein's O us wide open and has decent speed in spots, especially with Silas. I expect a close game.

Darter?? Have u had a chance to check out Stein?

A quick correction: It was Osceola and not DP that Stein took out last week.

To your question, Stein's offense looks interesting running plays (at least some) out of the wing T, but with a tendency to pass the ball much more than you would expect. I agree the game should be close. Apopka's defense has played tight all year (even when the offense was sputtering), so I don't think Steinbrenner scores more than the season high of 25 against the Darter's at most. But a score over 20 could possibly be enough to win. 

Summing it up, I think home field advantage, more experience in deep playoff situations, and an improved offense will get Apopka through this game. However, I certainly don't underestimate Steinbrenner and I think Apopka will have to maintain the standard it set against Bartram Trail and Seminole to win. 

2 hours ago, skyway said:

I have no idea what kind of offense Apopka runs. I know what they ran when Darlington was there. Did they keep his scheme after he left? I doubt it.

Steinbrenner throws the ball well. That helps most teams down the stretch in the playoffs.

Apopka still runs mostly out of a single wing formation. The biggest difference is that this year, most of the offense has come from straight up the middle runs and not the misdirection that Darlington employed. Apopka is capable of throwing the ball effectively, though, and has a few kids that can go up and get it. However, in most games running the ball makes up over 80% of the offense.

If Steinbrenner can stop the run effectively, then APK will be forced to do what it prefers not to do. Despite Steinbrenner's wrinkles, I would be surprised if they score more than three touchdowns, and would expect less, so it may come down to whether that is enough to win or not.