Columbus 28 Deerfield Beach 21 FINAL

ExplorerHomer

Thanks for the play by play SPY - couldn't log in to the forum on my phone. Second game in a row.

Anyhow, full capacity on home side (this is effectively a home game for Columbus) so about 3k fans there proably close to half that on Deerfield side - an hour drive for them. Columbus fans tailgating early and the weather was beautiful but a pretty strong breeze most of the game made for some ugly punting and possibly contributed a bit to a missed FG by the Bucs.

Columbus looked strong early on both sides of the ball. Some momentum shifted in the 2nd quarter when the Buc's offense got going. Penalties on both sides helped swing momentum. Bucs probably got the worst of it though. One play in particular stood out with a apparent TD called back on what should have been pass interference on the Explorers but ended up being called back on an ineligible receiver call for the Bucs. 

Overall, some replays from last year - multiple weak penalties (encroachment mostly) committed by Bucs and a couple untimely INT's really took the wind out of their offensive sails. That said, Bucs offense found success with a bubble screen and stayed in the game all second half. But the Columbus D was tough. At least twice Deerfield got inside the 5 and came away with nothing.

The last two games it is clear that Columbus is playing some inspired football. I saw it against Western when Courtney Holmes, a real tough kid and inspiration was supercharged from play one. That carried over for the rest of the game. After that game, during prayer on the field it was clear from the talk that these boys believed they could win it all. Today, the first post on Henry Parish's twitter account right after the game was to his late friend and teammate Ari Arteaga - "We finishing the job, Ari!"

These boys have a lot to play for and are on a redemption mission now. I was not convinced coming into Western, but I was feeling much more confident going into this game. I privately told one of my coach friends, before the game - the winner here today should take it all. He agreed. I'm hoping I'm right.