Steinbrenner at Apopka

DarterBlue2

Apopka took the opening kickoff back for a touchdown and it went downhill for Steinbrenner from there. After the visiting team's QB quick kicked the ball down to the Apopka 9 on fourth down on the next series Apopka faced a third and long from around their own 10. Not to worry as on the next play APK's QB hurled a pass downfield to a wide open receiver (NO 13, Jackson), who took it to the house. Apopka scored again shortly after on a 30+ yard run down the middle by Akeem Brown to make it 21-0. However, Stein scored on its next possession when a screen pass to the receiver was taken 86 yards for a touchdown. But this was not the beginning of a comeback as Apopka scored on its next possession. Apopka capped off the half, aided and abetted by two personal foul penalties and a pass interference in the end zone in the final minute of the second, to score on the stroke of half time. The extra point was partially blocked and hit the right upright before going out of bounds. Score at the half, Apopka 34-7 over Steinbrenner. In the second half, Apopka substituted liberally from the start and did not score again till the dying moments of the game when a pick six was taken to the house. In the interim, Steinbrenner had scored against the backups and had successfully gone for two.

Apopka could probably have running clocked Steinbrenner if it did not chose, wisely IMO, to give the backups meaningful playing time. The improvement in this team from the spring is phenomenal and Coach Rolson and his staff deserve a ton of credit! Final was Apopka 41-15 over Steinbrenner.   

17 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I will give a shout out to Jones and Edgewater which will lead a trifecta of Orange County teams, for the first time ever, into the state finals in Daytona. Pity this was not the last year at Camping World as that would certainly have helped attendance at the finals! 

Daytona isn’t that far away! Go Orange County!

Been sold on Apopka since seeing them at the BT game.  Their defense is legit.  Will be surprised if they don't finish the deal next weekend.  Haven't seen Columbus at all this year, but I believe they have many of the same kids I saw in last year's title game.  Mandarin really beat them up on the lines of scrimmage and unless something has changed, Apopka will do more of the same this year.  They will never want to see that 3 seed from Region 1 again.

A big congratulations to Apopka. Wonderful venue and great hosts.  Much love to all and good luck in the Championship. We gave you all we had but unfortunately we didn't have our best night when we needed it. Obviously it didn't end how we had hoped but we very proud of our young men and their relentless effort and dedication this year. Academic State Champions for 8a for the 3rd year in a row and a state semifinalist run. Outstanding student-athletes. Love to our wonderful senior group who left the program better than they found it and for setting a new bar for our young guys to claw for

13 hours ago, shredstar said:

Been sold on Apopka since seeing them at the BT game.  Their defense is legit.  Will be surprised if they don't finish the deal next weekend.  Haven't seen Columbus at all this year, but I believe they have many of the same kids I saw in last year's title game.  Mandarin really beat them up on the lines of scrimmage and unless something has changed, Apopka will do more of the same this year.  They will never want to see that 3 seed from Region 1 again.

Supposedly Columbus lost alot.  Not nearly as much as Mandarin did but what they lost was some key line pieces from what i have been told. They keep winning though so maybe they pulled it together.