St Thomas Aquinas Losing Seasons

OldSchoolLion

33 minutes ago, OldSchoolLion said:

Good try, ColumbiaFan.  Believe it or not, the Raiders have had only 1 losing season in the past 50 years.  They went 4-6 in 1989.

Dang 

I was about to say 3 but past 50 years would go back to 70s so i figured STA would have a few losing seasons in 70s before they started getting real good in 80s and became state and national powers in 90s

Having a roster that has players from 3 counties playing against schools that isn't "allowed" to recruit their talent (which some do but not from other counties I assuming), you should only have 1 losing season. I truly believe that STA, Heritage Schools, Trinity, IMG, and etc should all be in the same district IMO.  

27 minutes ago, Mashburns said:

Having a roster that has players from 3 counties playing against schools that isn't "allowed" to recruit their talent (which some do but not from other counties I assuming), you should only have 1 losing season. I truly believe that STA, Heritage Schools, Trinity, IMG, and etc should all be in the same district IMO.  

FWIW, it was a different world in the 80's and prior.  Private schools did not dominate like today.  In fact, many of them got their butts kicked by the public schools, including STA.  In a manner of speaking, many private schools paid their dues.  It took STA 25 years to win an FHSAA state title.  Nobody was complaining until the private schools started winning regularly.

I'm not a private school homer...just sayin'

Is there a particular reason that STA does not regularly play:

American Heritage - Plantation (only once since 2004)
Miami Northwestern (last time was 2013, only once since 2004) 
Miami Central (only 2018, only once since 2004) 
Booker T Washington (last time was 2016, only 2 times since 2004)
Columbus (last time was 2012, only once since 2004)

Is it because of how Miami-Dade does scheduling or is it because of STA? STA played Carol City this year, I am just surprised that STA travels across the country to play powerhouses, when there are some powerhouses nearby. 

7 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Is there a particular reason that STA does not regularly play:

American Heritage - Plantation (only once since 2004)
Miami Northwestern (last time was 2013, only once since 2004) 
Miami Central (only 2018, only once since 2004) 
Booker T Washington (last time was 2016, only 2 times since 2004)
Columbus (last time was 2012, only once since 2004)

Is it because of how Miami-Dade does scheduling or is it because of STA? STA played Carol City this year, I am just surprised that STA travels across the country to play powerhouses, when there are some powerhouses nearby. 

They play those cross country games because they are usually nationally broadcasted and that's a huge pull factor for local talent to know they can play on national TV and get a fast track to a FBS offer since those scouting agencies are practically at STA every week

So even though there are better teams a hour away, they choose to go across the country for the opportunity to play on national TV

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They play those cross country games because they are usually nationally broadcasted and that's a huge pull factor for local talent to know they can play on national TV and get a fast track to a FBS offer since those scouting agencies are practically at STA every week

So even though there are better teams a hour away, they choose to go across the country for the opportunity to play on national TV

Yeah, but usually that is only one or two of their games. They have 3 district games, and the rest is open. This year they played Mandarin (8A state champion from the year before), Deerfield Beach,  and Miami Carol City. So I am not suggesting that they don't play good teams, but rather I am just confused on why they don't play a lot of the Miami-Dade powerhouses as a whole. I don't think it is because STA is afraid to play them, so I wondering if it has more to do with how Miami-Dade does scheduling or how STA does scheduling.

28 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Yeah, but usually that is only one or two of their games. They have 3 district games, and the rest is open. This year they played Mandarin (8A state champion from the year before), Deerfield Beach,  and Miami Carol City. So I am not suggesting that they don't play good teams, but rather I am just confused on why they don't play a lot of the Miami-Dade powerhouses as a whole. I don't think it is because STA is afraid to play them, so I wondering if it has more to do with how Miami-Dade does scheduling or how STA does scheduling.

I don't think STA is scared of playing Miami Dade teams but I don't think they actively seek them out

They will play if one calls and offers a reasonable offer but STA isn't Calling Dade schools asking for games willy nilly 

I think same goes for AHP and STA, AHP would play STA if offer came up but they not actively looking for it and vise versa

Another interesting one is AHP and DFB and why haven't those 2 played