Edgewater 23 vs STA 28 Final

gatorman-uf

Edgewater is NOT fool's gold, and there are NOT some "average" football team. Those players and coaches fought their hearts and souls in that game tonight. They finished second in the state in 7A, and anyone who cannot understand or appreciate that can find something else to do, because that program took it to Aquinas most of the night. That is what high school football is all about.

57 minutes ago, Jambun82 said:

Edgewater is NOT fool's gold, and there are NOT some "average" football team. Those players and coaches fought their hearts and souls in that game tonight. They finished second in the state in 7A, and anyone who cannot understand or appreciate that can find something else to do, because that program took it to Aquinas most of the night. That is what high school football is all about.

Well said. I agree 100%

I thought the game was fantastic from start to finish. I don't understand why STA with their offensive line that go 6'6"+ and 280+ pounds (and at least 3 more on the bench) didn't just mash the ball down the field. Anyway, great game. Lots of momentum swings, some tremendous catches by teams for TDs. QBs who took some huge hits, but dusted themselves off and kept playing.

The only criticism I have is Edgewater's play after they scored to make the game 28-23 with 4 minutes left. At most you are getting 1 more possession. 
Edgewater lined up for the extra point and faked it out of the extra point formation with a play similar to below (no bounce). 
I just don't get that, you are putting yourself 10 yards or more (with a slower skilled player) from the goalline instead of 3.
1 point for the XP or Zero for a failed 2 point try doesn't change the strategy, you still need a TD, but a successful 2 point conversion makes it possible for a FG to tie the game. I also thought some of the clock management by Edgewater on the final drive, left a lot to be desired in terms of use of time outs.

Beyond that it was a great game.

1 hour ago, gatorman-uf said:

The only criticism I have is Edgewater's play after they scored to make the game 28-23 with 4 minutes left. At most you are getting 1 more possession. 
Edgewater lined up for the extra point and faked it out of the extra point formation with a play similar to below (no bounce). 
I just don't get that, you are putting yourself 10 yards or more (with a slower skilled player) from the goalline instead of 3.
1 point for the XP or Zero for a failed 2 point try doesn't change the strategy, you still need a TD, but a successful 2 point conversion makes it possible for a FG to tie the game. I also thought some of the clock management by Edgewater on the final drive, left a lot to be desired in terms of use of time outs.

If Edgewater had gone for two and made it, which they had a 50/50 shot at, instead of the fake kick, they likely send the game to overtime as their kicker has made several 3 point conversions from 40 and beyond during the course of the year. So, I agree with you and am still trying to understand the thought process involved.