Greater Orlando Football

DarterBlue2

We did not win any titles, but one could argue that 2019 was the most successful for Orlando area football at the high school level. Apopka, Edgewater and Jones all have much to be proud of as they gave it their all on the football field this weekend before coming up short. In the case of Apopka and Edgewater one could argue that both were quite unlucky not to win with a straight face. I will add Seminole to the list as despite the final score in the regional final game with Apopka, but for the fumble recovery and return by Apopka in their first drive of the game, they had a decent chance to be the area's 8A representative. I will note, also, that Cocoa, which is just outside the Orlando area, also played valiantly and but for a few costly turnovers would probably have had a great shot at the 4A title.

My hats off to all the above programs. If we make this a trend the future of Orlando area football is bright.

I agree; congrats to the three teams that represented the Orlando area. All three were highly competitive, but came up a little short. I have continually shouted the praises of Edgewater and Jones. Edgewater was in the game with STA right up until the interception by STA in the end zone at the end of the game. Jones was in a tight ballgame until losing their best player, running back Sparrow, to a concussion in the third quarter. Apopka has a history of state finals and championships and once again became a championship level team as the season and playoffs progressed. Hold your heads high Orlando.

I was not able to attend the Northwestern-Jones game, and while the South did go 5-0 this past week, I believe that not only Apopka and Edgewater, but also Bolles proved, playing a Booker T. Washington team that had a noticeable edge in talent, that high school football in the Northern part of the state should not be underestimated. Escambia was not able to keep up with the team that I believe was the best in the state this year, Miami Central. Overall, a great week of great football I also got a chance to talk to Josh Wilson in person again.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I feel like y'all are always solid so I don't see y'all going no worse than 7-3. Biggest question mark for Cocoa is their O-line since they are only returning 1 and on the defensive side they only return their blue chip edge in their front 7 
    • Coach Wiseman, let me just preface this by saying that you were the best HC Sarasota's program has had in the last 20+ years. You brought them from being a perpetual losing program to the doorstep of competing with Venice for a district title and a deep playoff run. SHS will curse the day they fired you now that they are back in a rut. You are a true class act, and nothing will ever convince me otherwise.  Our backfield is certainly sparse right now. We do have Dorian Jones, a rising sophomore runningback whom did considerably well considering his limited playing time last season. Our offense will need an overhaul with the graduation of 3 offensive linemen and almost our entire receiving corps. Our defensive line will be strong with the return of Ke'shawn Vaughn, Elijah Jones, and Asharri Charles. Our linebacking corps graduates virtually everybody but should have at least one bright spot with the return of Ben Zarkawiecz. Our defensive backfield is still a work in progress with the graduation of Lester and Platt. At the moment, we have more question marks than exclamation points. And that's not a good feeling with the kind of competition Venice is going to face. 
    • It's possible that they find their stride by week 5, but at the moment we just don't have the on-paper talent to compete with teams like Miami NW, IMG National, Cocoa, or Bishop Verot. If Venice can find a way to go 7-3 with that schedule I would be happy
    • Ocala Vanguard https://x.com/VanguardFB/status/1772951193179840761?s=20
    • Just wait till spring is over and the top RB in the area will take his talent to 1 Indian Ave. 
  • Popular Contributors