Orlando Sentinel Upset...

gatorman-uf

Daytona Stadium problems mar FHSAA football finals

Dear FHSAA: Orlando is the best place for the high school football state finals

I dislike bashing the media as I think like most situations 95% or more do a great job. But these rile me...

Yes, the overall attendance would be larger if the games were in Orlando this year (but the FHSAA is making the decision  years in advance, not a week). I went to the STA-Edgewater game. My buddies and I met at a local shopping plaza at 6, drove into the STA parking lot, parked, got tickets, waited in the concession line, and still had 25-30 minutes before the game. As for leaving, we left as soon as the clock hit zero. Walked to our vehicle, practiced proper manners when allowing people to enter from other rows and were out in less than 10 minutes.The light from LPGA onto International Speedway Boulevard was being manned by a police officer and he kept the light green for a long time. 

Maybe, because we have gone to NFL, MLB, and college games that we know, you can't just pull up and walk in. If a game starts at 1, you plan on getting there for noon. Could the cell phone service been better... sure. Could their have been more parking lot attendants yep. Overall though, I felt the experience was great. The last time I went to the state championships was 2017 for the 6A-8A populations ranging from 4200 to 5900 (which is right in the range of the STA/Edgewater) and the crowds were definitely rocking more in this game than those games. The band didn't feel as insignificant. The crowd seemed to make a difference in false starts and communication. 

2 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Yes, the overall attendance would be larger if the games were in Orlando this year (but the FHSAA is making the decision  years in advance, not a week). I went to the STA-Edgewater game. My buddies and I met at a local shopping plaza at 6, drove into the STA parking lot, parked, got tickets, waited in the concession line, and still had 25-30 minutes before the game. As for leaving, we left as soon as the clock hit zero. Walked to our vehicle, practiced proper manners when allowing people to enter from other rows and were out in less than 10 minutes.The light from LPGA onto International Speedway Boulevard was being manned by a police officer and he kept the light green for a long tim

You lucked out slightly because STA won and their fans stayed for the presentation. Had you been on the Edgewater side, it would have taken a bit longer to get out. Friday, it took me 53 minutes to leave the home side after Apopka's loss to Columbus. Just saying. All in all, the biggest problem with the Daytona stadium is the two lanes at LPGA. For the MNW vs Jones game, if you did not get there at least an hour before kickoff, you would have had serious issues getting up LPGA to the parking lots. I did not for I arrived early, but my buddies did not get in till kickoff because they decided to head over from their hotel which was five minutes away, 45 minutes before kickoff

8 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

You lucked out slightly because STA won and their fans stayed for the presentation. Had you been on the Edgewater side, it would have taken a bit longer to get out. Friday, it took me 53 minutes to leave the home side after Apopka's loss to Columbus. Just saying. All in all, the biggest problem with the Daytona stadium is the two lanes at LPGA. For the MNW vs Jones game, if you did not get there at least an hour before kickoff, you would have had serious issues getting up LPGA to the parking lots. I did not for I arrived early, but my buddies did not get in till kickoff because they decided to head over from their hotel which was five minutes away, 45 minutes before kickoff

DarterBlue2 trust me. getting out of the parking lot on the STA side was not as easy or quick as might be expected lol. I had the same idea that you had, always depart on the side of the winning team. I wish that the STA fans would have stayed and celebrated a little longer. lol  

@Jambun82, I left immediately after the interception that ended the game. I suspect you had official duties that held you up a bit. I left my car on the STA side but watched the game on the visitor side. I ran all the way to my vehicle which was strategically located near the top west section of the lot. 

If Edgewater had won, I would have stayed for the presentation and would not have minded much being late getting home.

I liked the "look" of the games during the broadcast. The stadium was filled. That's what you want. Why play in an 80K monolith and have 5K fans? 

I've been wanting Tampa to build a 15K stadium forever. Could be used for States and U.T. football if they ever bring it back.

Alternatives? UCF's field; FAU's field, etc. USF's future field (not Ray Jay)?

I think the perfect venue size is somewhere between 15K and 20K with a lot of in and out roads and hotels close by (sounds like Tampa and Orlando, but without the right sized venue).

Finally, another good option is Tropicana Filed, home of the Rays. It hosted the UA All American game for a bit and it rec-configures nicely for football. Plenty of parking, with huge surface lots. Lots of bars and eateries around as well for the adult folk. I think it holds about 25K for football, but could hold more. Problem would be the cost, as an indoor, air-conditioned facility isn't cheap.

Trop- Football.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 8:56 PM, DarterBlue2 said:

@Jambun82, I left immediately after the interception that ended the game. I suspect you had official duties that held you up a bit. I left my car on the STA side but watched the game on the visitor side. I ran all the way to my vehicle which was strategically located near the top west section of the lot. 

If Edgewater had won, I would have stayed for the presentation and would not have minded much being late getting home.

Ran like Usain Bolt?

On 12/17/2019 at 7:05 PM, Dan in Daytona said:

Not to undercut my city's attempt to host the future championships, but this new stadium is a Reggie Jackson long ball from Church Street Station. Checkout all the photos....or google Orlando's new soccer stadium. 

https://www.orlandocitysc.com/stadium/generalinfo

Yup Dan,

When I road by it a while back I was like this is where they need to host the states.