Football playoff changes

badbird

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

In several cases, yes. But at this stage of the tournament, it would probably not be that big a deal. And, like Bad Bird, I am okay with this, as on a net basis, I think we would often get better finals.

Yeah, I get that.   I guess my larger problem is with the relatively unproven, unscientific power ranking system that's being used to determine which of two teams has to make a 6 hour bus ride to play a semi-final game. 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Yeah, I get that.   I guess my larger problem is with the relatively unproven, unscientific power ranking system that's being used to determine which of two teams has to make a 6 hour bus ride to play a semi-final game. 

There are teams who may have to make a 6 hour bus ride in semifinals already

But if this creates a better state championship then I have no problem with this idea 

22 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

It makes sense when the state-finals are central location (Basketball, Baseball, Softball), but I don't think it makes as much sense for football. As the FHSAA does this, they have to somehow find a way from FHSAA funds to supplement longer travel. 

Daytona not Central enough?

It's certainly more Central than Fort Myers or Vero Beach

Central locations work great for the finals.   I'm more concerned with the semi-finals.   I just see it now:  instead of a team from the panhandle playing a team from somewhere else in north or north central Florida for the right to go to the finals, while a team from central Florida squares off against a South Florida team for the other finals spot, you could have the Panhandle team playing the team from South Florida and the north/north central Florida team playing the central Florida team.  

I don't know.  I'll keep an open mind, but I've always like the idea of regions, knowing that the winner of 1 vs. 2 will play the winner of 3 vs. 4 in the finals.  

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

Central locations work great for the finals.   I'm more concerned with the semi-finals.   I just see it now:  instead of a team from the panhandle playing a team from somewhere else in north or north central Florida for the right to go to the finals, while a team from central Florida squares off against a South Florida team for the other finals spot, you could have the Panhandle team playing the team from South Florida and the north/north central Florida team playing the central Florida team.  

I don't know.  I'll keep an open mind, but I've always like the idea of regions, knowing that the winner of 1 vs. 2 will play the winner of 3 vs. 4 in the finals.  

Yeah but in most cases that format creates state championship blowouts as several classes the 1 and 2 region winners are the 2 weakest regional champs

But if your in the final 4 you really shouldn't care about travel as the idea of knowing your one game away from going to a state championship should matter more than "how far you got to drive"

15 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah but in most cases that format creates state championship blowouts as several classes the 1 and 2 region winners are the 2 weakest regional champs

But if your in the final 4 you really shouldn't care about travel as the idea pf knowing your one game away from going to a state championship should matter more than "how far you got to drive"

Correct, so I hope Madison plays blountstown or Baker in semi finals. Let's go Madison vs pahokee state championship. This is perfect. Gonna be better state games. Fhsaa did right with this.

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But if your in the final 4 you really shouldn't care about travel as the idea of knowing your one game away from going to a state championship should matter more than "how far you got to drive"

Got it.  I'm saving this for the next time that Columbia is the 6-A Region 1 champ . . .  and instead of making a two and a half hour trip down to Tampa or St. Pete to play the Region 2 winner, they have to travel six plus hours to play a top-seeded Miami school because the Region 2 and Region 3 schools' power rankings are both ever so slightly higher than Columbia's, thus knocking Columbia to the 4th seed . . . and some fan from say, the Lake City area, decides to complain about how it isn't fair to make make his boys travel on a bus for 6 hours before playing a game, I'm going to break this post out and point to it and remind them how happy they should be that they are just one game away from going to state.  Or not.  B)

14 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Got it.  I'm saving this for the next time that Columbia is the 6-A Region 1 champ . . .  and instead of making a two and a half hour trip down to Tampa or St. Pete to play the Region 2 winner, they have to travel six plus hours to play a top-seeded Miami school because the Region 2 and Region 3 schools' power rankings are both ever so slightly higher than Columbia's, thus knocking Columbia to the 4th seed . . . and some fan from say, the Lake City area, decides to complain about how it isn't fair to make make his boys travel on a bus for 6 hours before playing a game, I'm going to break this post out and point to it and remind them how happy they should be that they are just one game away from going to state.  Or not.  B)

Last year Miami Central would have been a 2 or 3 seed so I'm not concerned

I am never concerned with travel on Columbia end as normally we do better on long travels anyway

Not a fan.  The possible benefits do not outweigh, what to me might be the worst situation.  It seems like a knee-jerk reaction, that appears to satisfy an issue, but really can make no guarantees.

I wonder how many years of data they researched, past seasons at ALL levels?  Did they truly see that there were numerous years where reseeding might have prevented blowouts?  Is this true in over half of the classifications, or just the ones with a louder fan base?  Did they look at how many times a reseed would generate the type of travel that diminishes the overall experience for both teams?

Do we believe that the point system really does the best job of seeding teams?   It's supposed to be objective, but we've all seen the discrepancies.

I looked at 2019 3A #'s as a for instance.  Here some concerns with the RPI's determining a rank.

1.  Of the top 10 RPI's the four semi-finalists were ranked # 4, 6, 7 & 10.  In other words, the top 3 teams DID not even make it into the State Semi's.  Does that validate this system's ability to predict the best teams?  Or is it proof that the RPI #'s are still just an educated guess.  Do we restructure travel based on a guess?

2.  The overwhelmingly best team (Cham.-Mad) was a 4 seed.  So the system we are relying on to determine who these good teams are, proved it's worth by giving them a 4 seed?  Allow a "for instance" - the #1 seed, based on RPI, was Pensacola Catholic.  Let's say that the RPI #'s were on target, and that the top 4 teams all made the state semi's.  Then the team, we all know was the best in 3A (and maybe 4A, 5A, etc?), would have to travel 9.5 hours/659 miles to play the "1 seed."

3.  My biggest concern is that when these extra long travel times are generated, it will cause some real issues with the visiting team.  Money is tight for many families.  So IF they travel their expenditures will increase exponentially.  Gas, meals, hotels; plus a day off of work?  Will Auntie or Uncle Ted make the trip?  Will the student body travel - 17 year-old kids driving home 9.5 hours on a Friday?  The  elderly community that supports these kids all season?  The current system isn't perfect, but it does allow for the games to be relatively close.

I'm sorry, but I'd pump the brakes here.  I also like to remind myself that this is the FHSAA were talking about.  And I am usually skeptical that those folks do things well.  

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/os-sp-hs-fhsaa-football-20200129-bzr42a36undgnf5baif46odlky-story.html

I agree with HuffyLegend... You are potentially asking a team to travel from Pensacola to Miami (or vice versa) for a state semi-final game. Too far in my opinion.  In the FHSAA is going to do this, they need to give additional financial compensation to these teams that have to make the travel. People are going to underestimate how expensive these types of trips really are. 

1 minute ago, gatorman-uf said:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/os-sp-hs-fhsaa-football-20200129-bzr42a36undgnf5baif46odlky-story.html

I agree with HuffyLegend... You are potentially asking a team to travel from Pensacola to Miami (or vice versa) for a state semi-final game. Too far in my opinion.  In the FHSAA is going to do this, they need to give additional financial compensation to these teams that have to make the travel. People are going to underestimate how expensive these types of trips really are. 

Isn't there still a fhsaa provision on the books for neutral site games for playoffs once it passes a certain mileage point?

On 1/30/2020 at 1:31 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Yeah that Is very much a possibility 

I hope this thing gets passed

comical that you and Jesse think this would give the best matchup.  I'm willing to bet it's 50/50 just like it is now.   I'm not saying the concept is bad but the extra travel isn't worth it.  If I knew it was really 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 I would be all for it.   This year Pahokee and Miami Central would have been #4's

20 minutes ago, badbird said:

comical that you and Jesse think this would give the best matchup.  I'm willing to bet it's 50/50 just like it is now.   I'm not saying the concept is bad but the extra travel isn't worth it.  If I knew it was really 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 I would be all for it.   This year Pahokee and Miami Central would have been #4's

What like maxpreps would have done it better?

I don't see the FHSAA getting away from the current RPI system any time soon.   But the system is flawed and it will always be flawed.  Too many variables and not near enough interaction between the teams in the north half of the state and the teams in the south half of the state to really determine how all the teams in the state compare with one another.  

That said, use the RPI to determine the 4 wildcard teams within each region, as well as the seeding within each region.  Then, go back in time and alternate which regions get the home field advantage for state semi-final games.   In odd years (like 2012), Regions 1 and 3 host; in even years (like 2020), Regions 2 and 4 host.  Simply put, I prefer a 'luck of the draw' system over a flawed formula.