Football playoff changes

badbird

4 minutes ago, badbird said:

they would have.  Your rankings where you give people bonuses for playing Columbia would have been better than the RPI

I don't give teams a bonus for playing columbia

I rank them higher because I was able to give them a more definitive evaluation because I saw them in person

It's easier to rank a team you get to see before your eyes then having to rely on sources, besides I always have my sources review my football rankings before publishing

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I don't give teams a bonus for playing columbia

I rank them higher because I was able to give them a more definitive evaluation because I saw them in person

It's easier to rank a team you get to see before your eyes then having to rely on sources, besides I always have my sources review my football rankings before publishing

that means you give them a bonus for playing Columbia

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But it's not a bonus for playing Columbia

It's a slightly higher ranking because sometimes I see something in person that impressed me so I view them higher than someone who didn't see them play

same thing.  Because they play Columbia they get a higher rating

24 minutes ago, badbird said:

same thing.  Because they play Columbia they get a higher rating

But it wasn't because they played Columbia

It's because I had the opportunity to see the game up close, if I had went to say Suwannee vs Baker County game I probably would have judged both differently because I would have personal observations to add to the evaluation process instead of relying on second hand information

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

But it wasn't because they played Columbia

It's because I had the opportunity to see the game up close, if I had went to say Suwannee vs Baker County game I probably would have judged both differently because I would have personal observations to add to the evaluation process instead of relying on second hand information

you only attend Columbia games.  It is because they played Columbia

7 hours ago, Just A Coach said:

Rankings from a biased fan will always be flawed. Its fun to check out but it means nothing. Pretty much like all rankings.

Half the season I had Columbia lower in the rankings than Joshua Wilson did 

I don't rank Columbia higher just because they my team, people just falsely assume that, and I tell people here they more than welcome to do their own rankings if they don't think I do a good job but for 2 years running I've been only poster on the site doing rankings 

6 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Half the season I had Columbia lower in the rankings than Joshua Wilson did 

I don't rank Columbia higher just because they my team, people just falsely assume that, and I tell people here they more than welcome to do their own rankings if they don't think I do a good job but for 2 years running I've been only poster on the site doing rankings 

I did Central Florida 2 years ago but gave up when someone told me Wekiva and Winter Park sucked.  Not worth my time.  I would rather make fun of your rankings

26 minutes ago, badbird said:

I did Central Florida 2 years ago but gave up when someone told me Wekiva and Winter Park sucked.  Not worth my time.  I would rather make fun of your rankings

Well I meant a state ranking

Ik a few did regional rankings on here but nobody has done a statewide top 25 the past 2 season's yet I've done a weekly top 50 

With all due respect to ColumbiaHighFan2, I think the main reason people don't do state polls (at least the main reason for me) is that it's darn near impossible to rank and compare teams that you've never seen before -- especially at the beginning of the season.  It's hard enough for the college sportswriters and coaches to rank college teams that are on TV a couple of times a month.   But unless you've got a HUDL account and about 60 hours a week of free time, there's simply no way in the world that you can watch enough games to be able to analyze all the relevant teams and rank them. 

Yeah, I know you can base some of your rankings off of how a team has done historically.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to start out the 2020 season tabbing STA as the number one team in 7A, if not the entire state, based on what they've done the last decade (and depending on how their off-season recruiting goes . . . but I digress).   Rankings, especially during the first half of the season, are what they always have been and what they always will be --- conversation starters and a means to drum up interest in the sport. 

Last, I recognize that some of the brave people who put themselves out there and create the polls rely (heavily) on information that they get from other people . . . eyes in other stadiums because, well, because there just aren't enough hours in the day to watch all the games themselves.  While this makes sense, I'd love to have a dollar for every time the telephone conversation went like this:

Pollmaker:  "So, did you get a chance to watch the Wildcats Friday night?"

Fan from city 300 miles away:  "Yeah, I watched them beat EastWestern."

Pollmaker:  "So, how'd they look?"

Fan:  "They looked good.  QB could throw the ball; they've got a couple of fast receivers and a young running back that can move."

Pollmaker:  "Great.  What about their defense?"

Fan:  "Yeah, they shut down EastWestern.  Only points they EW scored were in the 4th quarter when the Wildcats had their 3rd string in the game."

Pollmaker:  "So, you think the Wildcats deserve to be ranked in the Top 10."

Fan:  "Oh, hell yeah!"

Pollmaker:  "OK.  Great.   By the way, how'd your boy do Friday night?"

Fan:  "Eight solo tackles, a sack and a forced fumble."

Pollmaker:  "Nice.  OK, thanks, I'll talk to you again soon."

Just a dollar for each time . . . that's all I'm asking for.  B)

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

With all due respect to ColumbiaHighFan2, I think the main reason people don't do state polls (at least the main reason for me) is that it's darn near impossible to rank and compare teams that you've never seen before -- especially at the beginning of the season.  It's hard enough for the college sportswriters and coaches to rank college teams that are on TV a couple of times a month.   But unless you've got a HUDL account and about 60 hours a week of free time, there's simply no way in the world that you can watch enough games to be able to analyze all the relevant teams and rank them. 

Yeah, I know you can base some of your rankings off of how a team has done historically.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to start out the 2020 season tabbing STA as the number one team in 7A, if not the entire state, based on what they've done the last decade (and depending on how their off-season recruiting goes . . . but I digress).   Rankings, especially during the first half of the season, are what they always have been and what they always will be --- conversation starters and a means to drum up interest in the sport. 

Last, I recognize that some of the brave people who put themselves out there and create the polls rely (heavily) on information that they get from other people . . . eyes in other stadiums because, well, because there just aren't enough hours in the day to watch all the games themselves.  While this makes sense, I'd love to have a dollar for every time the telephone conversation went like this:

Pollmaker:  "So, did you get a chance to watch the Wildcats Friday night?"

Fan from city 300 miles away:  "Yeah, I watched them beat EastWestern."

Pollmaker:  "So, how'd they look?"

Fan:  "They looked good.  QB could throw the ball; they've got a couple of fast receivers and a young running back that can move."

Pollmaker:  "Great.  What about their defense?"

Fan:  "Yeah, they shut down EastWestern.  Only points they EW scored were in the 4th quarter when the Wildcats had their 3rd string in the game."

Pollmaker:  "So, you think the Wildcats deserve to be ranked in the Top 10."

Fan:  "Oh, hell yeah!"

Pollmaker:  "OK.  Great.   By the way, how'd your boy do Friday night?"

Fan:  "Eight solo tackles, a sack and a forced fumble."

Pollmaker:  "Nice.  OK, thanks, I'll talk to you again soon."

Just a dollar for each time . . . that's all I'm asking for.  B)

That's why I'm very selective on who my sources are, I never rely on sources who have a vested interest in a specific team and tend to look for sources of people who watch teams in a general area without a natural bias towards a specific school 

I may miss on teams because I either don't see enough of them, don't have sources in that region, or because I overvalue teams that I see play in person I can at least say I'm making an effort and I can say with a straight face that I'm ranking without a intentional bias and I rank to my best of ability 

Polls are idiotic when there is an actual playoff system. Polls before Week 7 are idiotic because, what are you basing your poll on, reputation and one or two games. Reality is that statewide polls should be considered useless in all sports. Now a smaller regional poll after week 7 is fine. 

I am going to make a safe assumption that the writers of the Jacksonville Times Union probably see a good many games of the Duval, St Johns, and Clay County to make a reasonable power ranking. I think the PBPost could make a reasonable poll of Martin and Palm Beach Counties. 

At the same point, at the beginning of last year who wouldn't have said STA, MNW, BTW, Central, Champagnat, Chaminade, and Madison wouldn't be in the Final Four or the Championship. I mean I think many of us even said that now that Miami powerhouses were more spread evenly that they would an easier path to the state championship. 

On 1/30/2020 at 4:09 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I am never concerned with travel on Columbia end as normally we do better on long travels anyway

Can you let us  know what you base this on? Not the history I see?

BTW this is another stupid idea by the fhsaa, to fix a problem that is not the real problem. HS Football in Florida is dying and the idiots driving the bus just keep driving toward the cliff. 

26 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

BTW this is another stupid idea by the fhsaa, to fix a problem that is not the real problem. HS Football in Florida is dying and the idiots driving the bus just keep driving toward the cliff. 

Since 2013 Columbia has won every game that was over 2 and a half hours 

27 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

So state championship blowouts is not a real problem?

Everyone talks about how the system was so good in the 70s and 80s but guess what they did back then? they had Miami teams traveling to panhandle teams and vise versa

Everyone seems to have some serious selective memory of the past 

46 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Since 2013 Columbia has won every game that was over 2 and a half hours 

Using Google Map Directions:

2019: No away games over 2.5 hours away
2018: No away games over 2.5 hours away
2017: No away games over 2.5 hours away
2016: Defeated Escambia (40-20)
2015: No away games over 2.5 hours away
2014: No away games over 2.5 hours away
2013: No away games over 2.5 hours away
2012: Lost to Navarre (28-21)
2011: Defeated South Lafourche (LA) at Nichols State University (30-19) (not exactly a home game for South Lafourche)
2010: No away games over 2.5 hours away
2009: No away games over 2.5 hours away
2008: No away games over 2.5 hours away
2007: No away games over 2.5 hours away
2006: Defeated Niceville (18-14)
2005: Defeated Choctaw (28-21)
2004: Defeated Orlando Jones (35-7)

To be fair, it is not like Columbia has played a ton of games that are over 2.5 hours away and they have done well. Of course ColumbiaHighFan is going to point to Apopka and IMG to bolster his argument, but those are pre-season games that do not count in the records. 

First it is not  a selective memory, I understand why the panhandle used to fair better and why they struggle today. That changed with open enrollment, imo. Currently Dade county has a population larger than the entire panhandle. The entire county is easily accessible by public transportation. The are no barriers to transfer to any school you like. Who would guess the Dade all-star teams end up with great players. I don't have a perfect answer but I do understand the real problem. Acting like the real problem is not what needs to be addressed is not going to fix the problem, imo. 

5 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

2011: Defeated South Lafourche (LA) at Nichols State University (30-19) (not exactly a home game for South Lafourche)

To be fair, it is not like Columbia has played a ton of games that are over 2.5 hours away and they have done well. Of course ColumbiaHighFan is going to point to Apopka and IMG to bolster his argument, but those are pre-season games that do not count in the records. 

Yes he chose 2013 to avoid the only example in over a decade matching the criteria, lol.

8 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Does that mean those games weren't over the travel distance I said?

Besides since you did post a longer stretch there, Columbia since 2004 is 5-1 in games over 2 and a half hours 

So even if we don't count the 2 preseason games, the numbers still back my claim that Columbia has had no issues winning long travel games 

6 minutes ago, Phfootball9 said:

First it is not  a selective memory, I understand why the panhandle used to fair better and why they struggle today. That changed with open enrollment, imo. Currently Dade county has a population larger than the entire panhandle. The entire county is easily accessible by public transportation. The are no barriers to transfer to any school you like. Who would guess the Dade all-star teams end up with great players. I don't have a perfect answer but I do understand the real problem. Acting like the real problem is not what needs to be addressed is not going to fix the problem, imo. 

You always go back to open enrollment but it's not like open enrollment suddenly made transferring in Dade county skyrocket (it was already a high rate before the rule change and I can point to the past transfer threads on this board in 2015 and 2016 (the 2 years preceding the rule change as evidence)

Transfers were out of hand before the open border rule change because many metros made no attempt to stop transfers and the fhsaa don't have enough resources to police every player movement of over 500+ schools in the state for every sport, it's completely unrealistic