Trinity Catholic football coach steps down

Proseteye

Andrew Thomas’ tenure at Trinity Catholic didn’t last long. After two seasons at the helm of the Celtics’ football program, Thomas notified Trinity Catholic officials on Friday that he would be stepping down.

“This afternoon school president Lou Pereira announced that Andrew Thomas, Head Football Coach since January 2018, has resigned his position effective immediately,” the school said in its official release. “Trinity Catholic has begun a search for his replacement.”

In two seasons, Thomas amassed a record of 13-7 with the Celtics. In the 2019 season, Trinity Catholic’s 8-4 record included a statement win over Calvary Christian — a team that was 7-1 when they came into Ocala.

“I’m very appreciative to be given the opportunity to come to this program,” Thomas said on Friday afternoon. “It’s a short history, but a rich history in a short time. To be able to have two years here and put my footprint on this program, I’m thankful for my opportunity to be here.”

Thomas met with members and players of Trinity Catholic’s football program on Friday afternoon.

“That’s the hard part,” Thomas began. “What people don’t realize is that I spend more time with these kids than I do my own kids... Everything is on good terms, and I wanted to make sure that it was.”

Thomas’ future destination, if there is one already in place, has yet to be announced.

Really bad news as Coach Thomas was bringing the program back and we were looking at a Senior Laden and experienced team for 2020. The team was not quite there yet in the 2nd round against Pensacola Catholic in 2019. OH well, here we go again. Just hope that the AD makes a good choice. Is Kerwin Bell available? B)

3 hours ago, badbird said:

headed to Union County

What happened to their HC Kepa Sarduy? And I'm wondering why Coach Thomas would go from a 3A private school that was just about to possibly go deep in the playoffs or maybe all the way to a 1A public school that hasn't been really that good for 5 years. Couldn't be the pay as I think Trinity pays their teachers pretty well. Can't imagine Union County paying any better. Would sure like to know. :unsure:

8 hours ago, Proseteye said:

What happened to their HC Kepa Sarduy? And I'm wondering why Coach Thomas would go from a 3A private school that was just about to possibly go deep in the playoffs or maybe all the way to a 1A public school that hasn't been really that good for 5 years. Couldn't be the pay as I think Trinity pays their teachers pretty well. Can't imagine Union County paying any better. Would sure like to know. :unsure:

It's better because how is trinty Catholic ever going to beat chamme madonna. Union county not beating Madison. But Andrew Thomas is probably going to get some players to try.

7 hours ago, Jesse said:

It's better because how is trinty Catholic ever going to beat chamme madonna. Union county not beating Madison. But Andrew Thomas is probably going to get some players to try.

Maybe you were not around when the Celtics were able to take on anybody and either defeat them or compete with them. Teams like TCA, Bolles, Jesuit, Gainesville, Vanguard, Pahokee, IMG, East Lake, Palmetto, Madison, University, Booker, and Mainland. All good teams and most of them in higher classifications. So, going up against Chaminade would not be something that is uncharacteristic of the Celtics. I'm really disappointed in Coach Thomas's decision to leave Trinity just when the team was getting ready to make some real noise. He already had the players at Trinity.

Proseteye,

I was around when OTC was playing those teams, these new OTC teams are not on that level. Don't get me wrong they are good, but they just aren't the same. 

In 2005, OTC struggled with Union County (twice) (Union was good then with CJ Spiller) and Pahokee on their way to a 14-0 season.
In 2006, OTC goes 13-1 with a loss in the state championship to Pahokee.
In 2007, Coach Bell is gone, schedule is upgraded, and OTC struggles to 7-5 including two losses to Newberry and a loss to Union County. 
In 2008, OTC goes 12-2 with a loss against Mainland and Pahokee (again).
In 2009, OTC goes 9-3 with loses against Bolles, Tampa Catholic, and Gainesville.
in 2010, OTC goes 14-0 beats some impressive teams along the way including a Derrick Henry led Yulee team, Bolles, and University School (when University School was doing it's thing).
in 2011, OTC goes 7-5 including losing to some local schools (Vanguard, North Marion, Gainesville). 
In 2012, OTC goes 8-5.
In 2013, OTC  goes 8-4.
In 2014, OTC goes  10-2 against a fairly easy schedule to lose to the developing juggernaut of Trinity Christian.
In 2015, OTC goes 4-8 (including a loss to Lake Weir)
In 2016, OTC goes 4-5.
In 2017, OTC goes 5-3 (misses playoffs).
In 2018, OTC goes 5-5 (misses playoffs).
In 2019, OTC goes 8-4 with an impressive home playoff win against Trinity Christian (Jax).

So why go through the last few years, OTC's successes are a long time ago of when they were a dominant beast. 
Vanguard:
2004: 2-7
2005: 5-5
2006: 5-5
2007: 2-8
2008: 0-10
2009: 6-6
2010: 10-3
2011: 7-4
2012: 6-6
2013: 5-5
2014: 4-6
2015: 9-3
2016: 10-2
2017: 11-1
2018: 13-1
2019: 9-3

I think partially what has happened is that Vanguard has stabilized it's football program. Notice the worse years of Vanguard coincide with the best years of OTC. There was a reason that OTC was called the Marion County All-Stars for a while. As long as Vanguard continues to have a solid program, OTC won't get the 1 or 2 additional star players they need to make them a state finalist. They will continue to be good, but not able to overcome some of the recruiting powerhouses. Additionally, if you go back to the years of 2B, it was made up of a lot of the larger 1A schools today. You weren't playing Trinity Christian, Pensacola Catholic, Florida High, Chaminade-Madonna to win the state, the competition was easier. It is telling that since they did away with 2B that Trinity has struggled with consistency.

Well since it’s legal now for everyone to recruit and open school choice it’s more difficult for a private school to assemble talent. They have to be all in like a St Thomas and kids have to pay nothing to attend. No way kids are going to pay 3-4K a year to go to Trinity when they could go to Vanguard. Let’s not pretend that the kids  that are 4-5 stars actually go for the education. They are going to play on a all star team that will win. Vanguard has been loaded with talent the last few years and underachieved but kids like to play with other “stars”. Also there isn’t any state retirement at Trinity and I know that Union pays much better as well. I saw two of Trinity’s D1 athletes transferred out the other day. I was told it was because of the cost of tuition. Can’t see them getting back to the Brantley days like that. 

11 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

Well since it’s legal now for everyone to recruit and open school choice it’s more difficult for a private school to assemble talent. They have to be all in like a St Thomas and kids have to pay nothing to attend. No way kids are going to pay 3-4K a year to go to Trinity when they could go to Vanguard. Let’s not pretend that the kids  that are 4-5 stars actually go for the education. They are going to play on a all star team that will win. Vanguard has been loaded with talent the last few years and underachieved but kids like to play with other “stars”. Also there isn’t any state retirement at Trinity and I know that Union pays much better as well. I saw two of Trinity’s D1 athletes transferred out the other day. I was told it was because of the cost of tuition. Can’t see them getting back to the Brantley days like that. 

I assume this was said in jest. 

On 2/26/2020 at 9:36 PM, Captain Morgan said:

What you state is probably for the most part correct. However, I would take an issue with you on one item. Most of the students on the football team are at Trinity for the excellent academic program that they have which places over 99% of their graduates in higher education to include one of the top private schools in the state for placing students in the service academies and in the ivy league. For the very few football players that transfer in from public schools, remember, they are contained in that 99%. If they are from a disadvantaged family situation Trinity will accept government assistance programs as partial payment for tuition to include some private donor funds. And, in the years when the Celtics were getting a few transfers in, they were having transfers out to the public schools due to lack of funds for tuition and possibly not meeting Trinity's academic and lifestyle requisites. I still think that the Celtics are set to do very well this season as teams that have mostly Seniors and Juniors with experience make themselves known. Now, all we have to do is replace Coach Thomas with someone who can match or better his accomplishments. :unsure: